The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, RogersTowell said:

Two guys I'm really excited about right now are Pettersson and Jasek, and for roughly the same reason.  This year Pettersson jumped up a league in Sweden and his ppg actually went up significantly (and in so doing set u20 scoring records and was the best offensive player in the league)  To a lesser extent, Jasek is creating excitement by hopping across the pond and going 1.5ppg in a league that is arguably better than the one he came from.  Sure, the sample size is only six games, but as a long suffering Canucks fan, I'll take what I can get.  If Jasek keeps it up he's going to start making a case for himself on the starting roster next year.  I'm excited to see Pettersson in North America next season, and I expect he'll be playing NHL games rather than AHL.  He's looking like he could be Filip Forsberg material (perhaps more skilled but less solid physically) or possibly more.  Or maybe he doesn't make the transition, but I'm betting he makes it and makes it big inside three years.

I agree with most of what you've said. 

I think it's premature to say Jasek will make the big club next season, even with his current pace of play. I don't think it's sustainable (1.5 ppg) at the AHL for him. I think he will come down to earth at some point. Now, with this being said, I hope he doesn't :P For a sixth  round pick to break through offensively and play as if he was a 1st round draft pick - is some kind of luck for the Canucks. I am hoping that Jasek can continue to dominate the AHL and for longer stretches of play, and not just the six games. We haven't really heard too much of him lately, I'm not sure if that's because the AHL season is done or whatever and they're prepping for the postseason. Someone can set me straight on that one. 

As for Pettersson. I am super excited for this kid. He's 19. Just broke a longstanding SEL record (huge deal!). He's a stick physically, and he does need to fill out, or else he'd get abused physically and would often get injured on the ice, simply because of the physical demands of the NHL. So it would be in his best interest to get stronger, and fill out more than he currently is, to take the physical demands of the NHL. With that being said, skill wise, without a doubt he's ready for the NHL. The question isn't his skill so much as it is his body that can withstand the physical rigors of NHL play every other day, for an 82 game stretch. 

If I were the Canucks, I'd go and hire the two recently retired Sedins as talent coaches and have them work a day or two a week, 3 or 4 hours a day with their upcoming talent pool, on and off the ice.

Especially in providing insight to Pettersson and Dahlen on what it takes to come over from the Swedish league and into the NHL. They could probably provide some really good insight to these guys on what they went through in making the transition to the NHL and how hard they had to work to adapt.

Couple of hours in the training room and a couple of hours on ice with any of the rookies and younger players who are training in Vancouver this summer and possibly even a few sessions per month during the year.

Good way to keep the Sedins involved a little longer and help ease the transition of team leadership while they still get to enjoy family life and being home for dinner etc.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

If I were the Canucks, I'd go and hire the two recently retired Sedins as talent coaches and have them work a day or two a week, 3 or 4 hours a day with their upcoming talent pool, on and off the ice.

Especially in providing insight to Pettersson and Dahlen on what it takes to come over from the Swedish league and into the NHL. They could probably provide some really good insight to these guys on what they went through in making the transition to the NHL and how hard they had to work to adapt.

Couple of hours in the training room and a couple of hours on ice with any of the rookies and younger players who are training in Vancouver this summer and possibly even a few sessions per month during the year.

Good way to keep the Sedins involved a little longer and help ease the transition of team leadership while they still get to enjoy family life and being home for dinner etc.

Totally agree with what the Sedins could bring to this teams development. They've said in they want to still be a part of the City and this franchise so this would be a perfect way to keep them around the team and help with our transition to the youth. I really hope both of them are a part of the Canucks staff for years to come as their experience and leadership is exactly what our support staff needs to help this team progress.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, canuckledraggin said:

Your expectations are going to ruin him! What you need to do is go lock yourself in a closet for 5 years and maybe he will live up to your lofty goals once you make your way out. Everyone knows that people on fan forums and social media are all these young men have to live for. If you put too much pressure on him with your posts on CDC he's going to fail. Am I doing this right?

Hate to say your wrong. But if I am wrong repost and remind me in two years. If he doesn't perform it won't be the fans who ruin him. He is a special player and a generational talent and by feb next year you will have nothing on me. The top athletes expect to be the best. The average just hope to make the league. He won't settle for average. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Spitfire_Spiky said:

Totally agree with what the Sedins could bring to this teams development. They've said in they want to still be a part of the City and this franchise so this would be a perfect way to keep them around the team and help with our transition to the youth. I really hope both of them are a part of the Canucks staff for years to come as their experience and leadership is exactly what our support staff needs to help this team progress.

Sedins had a really tough time adapting their first few years, they could really be solid mentors and advocates for Pettersson as he starts getting used to the team, the city and what its like to have an 82 game NHL schedule and the worst travel in the league.

3 minutes ago, cory40 said:

Hate to say your wrong. But if I am wrong repost and remind me in two years. If he doesn't perform it won't be the fans who ruin him. He is a special player and a generational talent and by feb next year you will have nothing on me. The top athletes expect to be the best. The average just hope to make the league. He won't settle for average. 

...I think he was just having fun with the absurd idea that whatever we say will have an affect on these kids...

You keep the faith ...I see magic in EP that could very well turn out to be generational and is for certain Allstar quality.

EP will be an allstar just like BB and Bo have been and could well be generational...

We will all have to wait and watch to see if that happens...!

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

...I think he was just having fun with the absurd idea that whatever we say will have an affect on these kids...

You keep the faith ...I see magic in EP that could very well turn out to be generational and is for certain Allstar quality.

EP will be an allstar just like BB and Bo have been and could well be generational...

We will all have to wait and watch to see if that happens...!

Yeh I get my back up easy. I feel Ep and maybe Brock have that quality in a player that doesn't come around often.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Sedins had a really tough time adapting their first few years, they could really be solid mentors and advocates for Pettersson as he starts getting used to the team, the city and what its like to have an 82 game NHL schedule and the worst travel in the league.

Exactly what I was thinking, it's another reason I was disappointed they decided to retire when they did. With both Peterson and Dahlen(if he can make the big club) coming over this year it would of been nice to see the Sedins playing one more year to work with them. Hopefully management will recognize that and give them a chance to be a part of team moving forward.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Stelar said:

Expectations in the thread are bananas.  

That's for sure, throwing out names like Gretzky and Lemieux, even Peter Forsberg. Pettersson is only 19 and has basically played in Europe his whole life. We don't know yet whether he'll be as great in the NHL. He is an incredible talent, and all I'm hoping for is that he make the team in the next year and eventually plays well in the Top 6. Who knows what his ceiling is. Could be anywhere between Sven Baertschi and Filip Forsberg. If he's even better than that, then we can start comparing him to former NHL greats. Let him play a game first.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, cory40 said:

My post was pure sarcasm and I'm quite surprised you didn't see it lol. You need to temper your expectations. In other words...go dump a bucket of cold water over your head. <-----also sarcasm

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, canuckledraggin said:

My post was pure sarcasm and I'm quite surprised you didn't see it lol. You need to temper your expectations. In other words...go dump a bucket of cold water over your head. <-----also sarcasm

Also good. Thumbs up x 10. 

27 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

That's for sure, throwing out names like Gretzky and Lemieux, even Peter Forsberg. Pettersson is only 19 and has basically played in Europe his whole life. We don't know yet whether he'll be as great in the NHL. He is an incredible talent, and all I'm hoping for is that he make the team in the next year and eventually plays well in the Top 6. Who knows what his ceiling is. Could be anywhere between Sven Baertschi and Filip Forsberg. If he's even better than that, then we can start comparing him to former NHL greats. Let him play a game first.

I would say it is just as "Bananas" to limit EP to a Baertschi -Filiip Forsberg range.....

EP will produce in the Backstrom - McDavid range in my opinion...

and as always...just watch...!

Edited by Rollieo Del Fuego
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think fitness/skill coaches is the most likely role they take in the organization.  Imagine them imparting their wisdom, experience and commitment around fitness onto the next gen?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I really don't like these expectations. 

I'd be happy if he steps in and proves he can be a fixture in the top-6 next year. 

Yeah, coming out of the draft he looked like a future top 6 candidate at best...

I went so far as to say Dahlen was the better player on Timra that year.

But this year he's really pushed the envelope. I don't think he'll be a first year all star, but he is the real friggen deal.

Especially when we have guys like Horvat and Boeser for him to lean on when times get tougher.

He's too smart, too flashy, too skilled not to be a star here. I genuinely have not seen hands like his since Datsyuk, and that feels amazing to be able to say about one of our prospects...

My expectation is that Boeser still wows the crowd nightly and carries the load, but Elias will have some highlight reel moments in his rookie campaign.

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I sure remember a guy named Peter Forsberg  that played in Europe and fell in the draft. Forsberg went 6th overall. History tends to repeat itself. And watching him play before the draft I am surprised he didn't go higher.  It's looking like (no knock on Filip Forsberg) that Filip  would be EP's basement and McDavid and EP will be in a point battle for years to come.

I would put money on EP adapting very quickly to the NHL and getting 40 plus points in his first year. It will all depend on his first 20 games if he gets points early then I would raise the bar. Regardless player projections usually come from player perfomances and I'm saying your not looking at his accomplishments so far in your statement. Your looking at Canuck luck. And I am hoping that's not a factor. 

2012 draft

11 Washington Filip Forsberg L Leksands IF [Swe-1] 331 117 138 255 145 2017-18
  Quebec Eric Lindros C Oshawa Generals [OHL] 760 372 493 865 1398 2006-07
1 2 San Jose Pat Falloon R Spokane Chiefs [WHL] 575 143 179 322 141 1999-00
1 3 New Jersey Scott Niedermayer D Kamloops Blazers [WHL] 1263 172 568 740 784 2009-10
1 4 NY Islanders Scott Lachance D Boston University [H-East] 819 31 112 143 567 2003-04
1 5 Winnipeg Aaron Ward D U. of Michigan [CCHA] 839 44 107 151 736 2009-10
1 6 Philadelphia Peter Forsberg C MODO Hockey Ornskoldsvik [SEL] 708 249 636 885 690

2010-11