The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

On 11/15/2021 at 2:53 PM, Vinny in Vancouver said:

My understanding of COVID-19 brain fog from what I read in various health sites is that it's persistent - i.e., you will see it a lot and not just for brief moments of the day. I haven't seen enough of Petey to have an opinion one way or another, but I would expect that if he is suffering from brain fog, then he would have been put on the injured list by the doctors - especially in a sport like hockey where there's risk of concussion. Now, on Travis getting COVID-19 brain fog, I don't see any difference in his responses (pretty quick) during his pressers so I'd be shocked if he does have it.

.Like I said, this is new territory

here are some symptoms

even mild versions of these would put a player off his game 

COVID-19 (coronavirus): Long-term effects - Mayo Clinic

when I watch Brock play, I wonder who is the slower skater, him or Chiasson

Pettersson doesn't seem to beat anyone either these days

I do not have faith in Canuck Medical

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

9 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

What’s Peteys trade value worth???

Not particularly high. However if a team is willing to wait long enough, for instance Colorado trading Duchene, eventually a team in a desperate situation will up their payment. However, waiting that long may create a toxic situation. 

11 hours ago, Shirotashi said:

Pettersson was amazing tonight defensively he reminds me a bit of how good

Datsyuk was. Hes getting better and better at anticipating plays and chipping the

puck away at the right time or being in the right place to check a stick at the right 

time.

I appreciate your positivity but he was awful and has been awful all season. His effort level just isn't there. He's skating himself into the corners every shift, dancing through the raindrops in the softest areas of the ice, and can't even seem to keep on his feet. Comparing him to Datsyuk, at this point, is just a flat-out insult to a legend.

Edited by nowhereman

1 hour ago, nowhereman said:

I appreciate your positivity but he was awful and has been awful all season. His effort level just isn't there. He's skating himself into the corners every shift, dancing through the raindrops in the softest areas of the ice, and can't even seem to keep on his feet. Comparing him to Datsyuk, at this point, is just a flat-out insult to a legend.

As I mentioned previously, a lot of defects can be forgiven, bad luck, bad hands, bad skating, bad coordination....etc. What is very alarming is that Pettersson is so weak and slow, indicating that he did nothing during the summer to improve his skating and strength. This is especially unforgiveable considering how he did improve his physical condition prior to the playin/playoff bubble series and physically held his own against Min, STL and Vegas, 3 big physical teams. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Maddogy said:

As I mentioned previously, a lot of defects can be forgiven, bad luck, bad hands, bad skating, bad coordination....etc. What is very alarming is that Pettersson is so weak and slow, indicating that he did nothing during the summer to improve his skating and strength. This is especially unforgiveable considering how he did improve his physical condition prior to the playin/playoff bubble series and physically held his own against Min, STL and Vegas, 3 big physical teams. 

Okay. let's assume that's true. Why would he have done nothing to improve his skating and strength over the summer? 

23 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

What’s Peteys trade value worth???

It's not high that's for sure, not right now at least. 

It's crazy to me that this market who defended Petey like no tomorrow, has now turned their back on him. I'm frustrated that he's played like $&!#, just like any other fan on here. But trading the player when he's produced so well for us since he's got here? Let's give him the benefit of the doubt. Something is wrong that's for sure. And it seems like he's pissed off at someone - whether that's management (Benning/Weisbord, etc), coaching staff (Baumgartner? Green? King?). He's definitely not himself, and I think it's more mental than anything else. 

Like I've said before. I want to see where he's at later this month. But if he's not producing by late November, early December, then you have to think that this season is a write off, and heads will roll. I can't see Miller wanting to remain here if nothing changes this summer. I can't imagine Bo wanting to ride out the latter years of his career in his twenties, going through yet another rebuild. 

What I'm curious about is whether team needs a full on rebuild, or do they need to change some of the pieces moving forward? Miller is a piece in my mind, I'm not certain that he wants to remain here as a Canuck. Need to try to keep Horvat in my perspective. Losing your captain is a huge blow to the dressing room. I think Bo's well liked in the dressing room too, though that's ony a guess, since I don't know for sure. Can't say the same for Miller unfortunately in my opinion. 

On 11/17/2021 at 11:28 PM, Shirotashi said:

Pettersson was amazing tonight defensively he reminds me a bit of how good

Datsyuk was. Hes getting better and better at anticipating plays and chipping the

puck away at the right time or being in the right place to check a stick at the right 

time.

Did Datsyuk kill penalties? If he did, then why can't EP40 kill penalties? Maybe even block a few shots to help the team.

Pettersson passed a trio of Canucks with his assist tonight.  Now into 52nd in all-time Canuck scoring.

51.  Tiger Williams LW 312 83 82 165
52.  Elias Pettersson C 183 68 95 163
53.  Orland Kurtenbach C 229 62 101 163
54.  Doug Halward D 324 45 118 163
55.  Moe Lemay LW 279 70 92 162
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, CanucksCountry said:

Pettersson having a meeting with Aquilini  wouldn't be surprised if they are talking about the current state of the team to see if any changes need to be made 

Who’s the other guy sitting across from Petey? 

You get a great goal scorer like Petey and everyone seems to want to put their stamp on him.  Start refining his game and focusing on things that maybe have taken away from "his" game...which was instinctual and something special.  Have they wrecked Petey by having a to do list for him when, really, what he just needs to do is score?  By focusing on other things he "should be" doing now he's not doing the one thing he was really good at.  It's mind boggling.

I get that he's doing "other" things...but we had a "little things" guy and we need a pure goal scorer.  We had that in Petey.  I'm really starting to feel these coaches are over coaching some of our guys and need to tap in to their natural abilities first and foremost.  

Who knows (I certainly don't).  Petey appears to really be struggling with the mental game right now and that's a huge hurdle to overcome.  But scoring a few highlight reel goals can bring that all back into focus.  

• Vintage 1