The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

18 year old Elias Pettersson! :wub:

to bad we didnt have him for the playoffs lol.  reminds me of the sam bennett hype. except hes the better player!

Jim Hughson may have cursed Bennett's career by saying "18-year-old-Sam-Bennett" during the 2015 Playoffs. Since then, Bennett hasn't shown much of that he is worthy of a 4th overall pick. It has effect of a Sam Bennett who is no longer great when he is no longer 18. :P

• Upvote 4

18 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Figured I'd move this here as to not derail the thread.

As far as pure talent level, I have no doubt that he could start in the NHL next season....hell, he could be playing this season and doing well. And if it were just the issue of adjusting to the North American ice surface, I wouldn't be so worried.

However, the fact that he's not being used at center makes me a bit skeptical of starting him right off the bat in the NHL. The fact is that we need him to be a center, and don't want to see him become accustomed to playing on the wing all the time. Allowing him to take the reigns at center in the AHL for a season (or at least a partial season, depending on how he does) would allow him the opportunity to readjust to the position without the pressure and expectation of doing it at the NHL level and immediately being effective. 

At the end of the day it's about what's best for the player and what's best for the team in the long run.

This, but also he really needs to add some bulk to his frame over the summer as well. Get on that MEAT AND POTATOES diet.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Qwags said:

How's Pettersson's defensive game?

From what limited viewing I have of him this season his defensive play has been good, he's got a quick stick and seems to disrupt a lot of plays and steals the puck a lot too.

14 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

From what limited viewing I have of him this season his defensive play has been good, he's got a quick stick and seems to disrupt a lot of plays and steals the puck a lot too.

So you are saying that he is disruptive and a thief. Doesn't sound like the kind of character we want on this team. Maybe we could trade him to Calgary for 18-year-old Sam. :lol:

Edited by WeneedLumme

5 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

So you are saying that he is disruptive and a thief. Doesn't sound like the kind of character we want on this team. Maybe we could trade him to Calgary for 18-year-old Sam. :lol:

Lol and a second round pick! In all seriousness though, the only thing I have seen he needs to improve is his strength and that can only come with time. When he's ready to make the jump he will blow us away. Haven't been this excited about a guys pure skill since Bure

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Figured I'd move this here as to not derail the thread.

As far as pure talent level, I have no doubt that he could start in the NHL next season....hell, he could be playing this season and doing well. And if it were just the issue of adjusting to the North American ice surface, I wouldn't be so worried.

However, the fact that he's not being used at center makes me a bit skeptical of starting him right off the bat in the NHL. The fact is that we need him to be a center, and don't want to see him become accustomed to playing on the wing all the time. Allowing him to take the reigns at center in the AHL for a season (or at least a partial season, depending on how he does) would allow him the opportunity to readjust to the position without the pressure and expectation of doing it at the NHL level and immediately being effective. 

At the end of the day it's about what's best for the player and what's best for the team in the long run.

Do we really though?  Obviously it’s preferable but it wouldn’t be the worst thing if he played wing imo. 

9 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

Lol and a second round pick! In all seriousness though, the only thing I have seen he needs to improve is his strength and that can only come with time. When he's ready to make the jump he will blow us away. Haven't been this excited about a guys pure skill since Bure

Yeah, if Calgary throws in a second round pick along with Sam, we finally get back that pick we wasted on that smurf Baer! Lol. But I agree, I, too, don't remember being this excited about a prospect since Bure. When EP gets his weight up to 175-180, with his skill and tenacity I think he will be ready for the NHL. Hopefully next season.

We already have a team with a lot of centre's ....it works just fine if most of them can play wing as well....

like Gaunce, Gagner, Sutter, Granlund and Burmistrov....if we add Gaudette and Pettersson to that list we would have 9 centre's ( with Bo and Hank )...and that's fine with me.

I don't think Hank is here next year though ...but even with the twin's:

Dahlen / Gaudette / Pettersson

Baer  / Horvat  / Goldobin

Sedins / Virtanen

Gaunce / Sutter / Dorsett or Granlund

Granlund

Without the Twins  that line could be Granlund and Gagner or Burmistrov with Virtanen....the Sedins have equal value (as say Gagner and Granlund ) this year but next year ....maybe not....

1 minute ago, WeneedLumme said:

Yeah, if Calgary throws in a second round pick along with Sam, we finally get back that pick we wasted on that smurf Baer! Lol. But I agree, I, too, don't remember being this excited about a prospect since Bure. When EP gets his weight up to 175-180, with his skill and tenacity I think he will be ready for the NHL. Hopefully next season.

Can't wait for the World Juniors this year. Going to be a fun time to be a Canucks fan!!

14 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Do we really though?  Obviously it’s preferable but it wouldn’t be the worst thing if he played wing imo. 

We've desperately needed another top 6 center for a while now. I'd say say it's pretty necessary to get Pettersson used to playing center. If Pettersson does end up being a winger, it either leaves us with Horvat and a bunch of middle 6 guys to fill that top line center void going forward, or it puts us another year behind in our rebuild, neither of which I'm not overly comfortable with. 

I'd rather we get him accustomed to playing the position we need him to play than throw him in the lineup immediately just for the sake of doing so.

57 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

We've desperately needed another top 6 center for a while now. I'd say say it's pretty necessary to get Pettersson used to playing center. If Pettersson does end up being a winger, it either leaves us with Horvat and a bunch of middle 6 guys to fill that top line center void going forward, or it puts us another year behind in our rebuild, neither of which I'm not overly comfortable with. 

I'd rather we get him accustomed to playing the position we need him to play than throw him in the lineup immediately just for the sake of doing so.

We do lack a high-quality LWer but we need a top 6 Center if we want to complete this rebuild. It is a necessity.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, J-Dizzle said:

Do We? This team is in desperate need for a future 1c and 1d. So yes..

But 1 year from now and maybe half season in AHL will be good for him. It's ok if he plays wing even at NHL level to start. It wouldn't be out if the ordinary. 

Only thing I wanna see is him getting some strength and weight on his body at this point. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

Do We? This team is in desperate need for a future 1c and 1d. So yes..

But 1 year from now and maybe half season in AHL will be good for him. It's ok if he plays wing even at NHL level to start. It wouldn't be out if the ordinary. 

Only thing I wanna see is him getting some strength and weight on his body at this point. 

I don't care about "weight" specifically, but strength and enough toughness not to be afraid of the corners. He's never going to be a beast or even top 190 but he can get wiry and tougher to play against. 

On 28/10/2017 at 1:54 PM, Odd. said:

Soon it'll be Pettersson vs Hischier and Patrick

In 5 years Pettersson will be top tier 1C in NHL. He'll be better than both those top 2 picks.

That skill level is undeniably off the charts. The game continues to change. Smaller, lighter, faster players is where this game is headed. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't care about "weight" specifically, but strength and enough toughness not to be afraid of the corners. He's never going to be a beast or even top 190 but he can get wiry and tougher to play against. 

He could use some Brandon Sutter's 'balls'.