The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

9 hours ago, cripplereh said:

I just do not see Pettersson being a C  he more likely for us will be a LW unless he becomes better at faceoffs

The kid is 165lbs he would be dominated physically good on the coach for seeing this and allowing him time by using him in a position where he don’t have to try and matchup against physically mature men just yet.

Edited by CanuckleHorse
  • Upvote 3

8 hours ago, cripplereh said:

LOL  well that is true, plus Linden was awesome and Horvat so just maybe he could be an effective winning face off center

The effect that Manny has had is pretty damn remarkable. You don't often see such tangible results so quickly, but considering the teams FO % before he came aboard and what it's been since.

In 2015-16 (before Manny came aboard) the team percentage was 45.4%, good enough for 30th place in the league.

In 2016-17 (the year he joined) it was 51.1%, good enough for 9th place in the league.

So far in the 2017-2018 season (his first year as an assistant coach on the big club) we sit at 52.2%, good enough for 8th in the league.

Having an ace in the hole like Manny gives me a bit more confidence that we'll be able to move Pettersson back to center successfully. But, as has already been stated, he NEEDS to put on more muscle for this to happen.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Upvote 4

3 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Lw

Been listed as RW so far this season. 

9 hours ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

19-22 was his best years. Seems to be declining since & quite dramatically last year.

Also some sources that I heard say he has a lingering injury bug.? That source if I remember right was Pierre McQuire. I believe he said that if any team was interested in him that they better request a full medical exam 1st. 

His production in the past 3 years are declining, maybe there's some truth to that.

Seems to be a step slower than he used to be as well. I'm staying clear. I'd go for the much faster Kane for nothing instead of trading a premier player for him.. 

You think his production might have something to do with being on a train wreck of a team? 

12 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Our primary focus shouldn't be on "selling tickets". It should be on properly developing Pettersson into the 1st line center that we desperately need. If keeping him in Utica for a year (or even just a partial year) is what it takes to acclimatize him to playing center on North American sized ice, then so be it.

I was speaking of Management's primary focus...they are the ones who decide if he is with the team next year....not us...

Our primary focus should be on making the building rock with positive vibes for these kids to gel in....

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

You think his production might have something to do with being on a train wreck of a team? 

Patrick Roy ruined that team.  The year prior to his coaching, the Avalanche had 5 players with points from 60-70 including Landeskog who hit 65pts.  The following 3 years (with Roy) nobody on the those 5 players dropped their totals by 10-15pts.

Even with a new coach, last year was dismal with 56 loses and a top line with 53-38-33 pts.

This season they seem to be improving and the Avs will probably have a much better year.  It would be such a pity if the Roy effect ruined the great potential of players like Landeskog, Mackinnon and Duchene.  I hope to see all three with over 60pts.

3 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

The effect that Manny has had is pretty damn remarkable. You don't often see such tangible results so quickly, but considering the teams FO % before he came aboard and what it's been since.

In 2015-16 (before Manny came aboard) the team percentage was 45.4%, good enough for 30th place in the league.

In 2016-17 (the year he joined) it was 51.1%, good enough for 9th place in the league.

So far in the 2017-2018 season (his first year as an assistant coach on the big club) we sit at 52.2%, good enough for 8th in the league.

Having an ace in the hole like Manny gives me a bit more confidence that we'll be able to move Pettersson back to center successfully. But, as has already been stated, he NEEDS to put on more muscle for this to happen.

as much as I appreciate malhotra and what he brings to the club, I'd argue that henrik sedin and brandon sutter being healthy has done more to improve the team faceoff percentage than manny's tutelage. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, tas said:

as much as I appreciate malhotra and what he brings to the club, I'd argue that henrik sedin and brandon sutter being healthy has done more to improve the team faceoff percentage than manny's tutelage. 

Horvat has taken the most draws in the team and is 54% in the circle. Clearly it’s not all sutter and sedin, especially since both sutter and sedin were healthy most of last year too

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

Landeskog who?.

We have Elias Pettersson coming. ::D  

1 hour ago, Canadian Clay said:

Horvat has taken the most draws in the team and is 54% in the circle. Clearly it’s not all sutter and sedin, especially since both sutter and sedin were healthy most of last year too

bo has been around 51% every year of his career. the 3% jump this year could easily be due to him learning the league or to it being early.

the team's faceoff percentage last year was effectively just as good as this year. the big jump was from 2015-16, when sutter played 20 games and henrik played 74, a large number of which he was too banged up even to take draws, to last year, when both players were healthy and the canucks brought malhotra into the fold.

edit: keep in mind also that this early in the season, horvat's 3% jump equates to 6 extra draws won. if he has one off game in the circle that percentage to regress to his average. 

Edited by tas
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, tas said:

bo has been around 51% every year of his career. the 3% jump this year could easily be due to him learning the league or to it being early.

the team's faceoff percentage last year was effectively just as good as this year. the big jump was from 2015-16, when sutter played 20 games and henrik played 74, a large number of which he was too banged up even to take draws, to last year, when both players were healthy and the canucks brought malhotra into the fold.

edit: keep in mind also that this early in the season, horvat's 3% jump equates to 6 extra draws won. if he has one off game in the circle that percentage to regress to his average. 

Yeah I agree, health played a factor in increase FO%. Many also became the development coach last season to help them with face offs, too. 

It it was probably a mix of both health and coaching that resulted in increased FO wins. 

20 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

Yeah I agree, health played a factor in increase FO%. Many also became the development coach last season to help them with face offs, too. 

It it was probably a mix of both health and coaching that resulted in increased FO wins. 

We've basically been +/- 52% on face offs as a team other than two seasons (14/15 and 15/16). That's not just a coincidence.

I love Manny and I'm happy to have him on board as a coach but the difference between us being a 45-46% FO team and a +/- 52% FO team has far more to do with health than anything else.

On 10/28/2017 at 11:56 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Thought this deserved a place in the thread (didn't see it posted yet).

Crowd chant by Växjö fans last game roughly translates as follows:

Elias is our idol!

Elias is our idol!

He scores so f-ing many goals!

Elias is our idol!

I just had to bump this.

I can't get it out of my head.

"Elias is our idol!"

Thanks for posting.

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, tas said:

Or that other centers in the league were cheating on the faceoffs so much that he wasn't able to beat them. With the new rule in place, we are seeing one of Bo's strengths re-emerge.

52 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We've basically been +/- 52% on face offs as a team other than two seasons (14/15 and 15/16). That's not just a coincidence.

I love Manny and I'm happy to have him on board as a coach but the difference between us being a 45-46% FO team and a +/- 52% FO team has far more to do with health than anything else.

I can clear this up:

-Kesler (faceoff beast) was traded for Bonino (faceoff weakling) in june of 2014.

-adding bones to Hank (career 49%), our draws dipped. 

-sprinkled in Mccann's $&!#ey draws the next year.

-last year Sutter played the whole season and Horvat continued to be solid 50%+ contributor.

-no coincidences

Who knows if there is a Manny effect in our guys faceoff stats now, but sure is nice to have a couple guys who win (horvat, sutter) more draws than they lose (Sedin).  And can't help but think back to 2010-2012 when we started with the puck almost 60% of the time.

edit--I facking love elias

Edited by taipan
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Alexandre said:

That is so cool. I kept replaying it. The passion, the marching like beat and cadence. I wish the person who plays the music at Rogers records this, and in the future, whenever Elias makes a great play/scores, this is played loudly.

Checked out this guys Twitter and found this neat celebration.

I am going to Sweden next year. Frack Mexico,frack Hawaii, frack the Okanagon. 

• Upvote 2