The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Gonna get some flack for this, but I really wasn't impressed with his game today. Hopefully it's just a result of his illness, but he didn't look engaged at all, aside from when he was on the PP. He looked slow, easily outmuscled and outhustled, and his line usually ended up hemmed in their own zone. The offensive instincts were there on the PP, but he did nothing to carry the play. 

Again, I'm not going to claim to be too well versed in all he's done this year, but if this performance was indicative of his overall game, it leaves me a bit worried, because again, he did absolutely nothing to carry the play at all. 

Just waiting for someone a little more familiar with him to tell me that this performance today was likely the result of his illness and that he's usually far more effective and carries the play much more than what he did today.

He has great instincts. Good speed and excellent edge work. Excellent mitts. Great passer. Ya, he is still filling out. Reminds me of a couple other skinny Swedes. Eventually they got strong and that worked out pretty well. He's not afraid to go into corners and to the front of the net. 

8 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Gonna get some flack for this, but I really wasn't impressed with his game today. Hopefully it's just a result of his illness, but he didn't look engaged at all, aside from when he was on the PP. He looked slow, easily outmuscled and outhustled, and his line usually ended up hemmed in their own zone. The offensive instincts were there on the PP, but he did nothing to carry the play. 

Again, I'm not going to claim to be too well versed in all he's done this year, but if this performance was indicative of his overall game, it leaves me a bit worried, because again, he did absolutely nothing to carry the play at all. 

Just waiting for someone a little more familiar with him to tell me that this performance today was likely the result of his illness and that he's usually far more effective and carries the play much more than what he did today.

Sounds like you expect him to be McDavid. EP is not that kind of player. I saw a lot to get excited about in both his games. Great on ice awareness that is needed to play the pro game. 

1 minute ago, JoshuaGuy said:

Ugh. He had like 7 shots including two hard one timers. Good zone entries. Lots of tape to tape passes. Decent defensive coverage. Czechs played a decent game and drove play more because they had to, being down in the game. 

I was hoping someone would tell me that he's usually better rather than make excuses for him :/

He was a fringe player any time he wasn't on the PP, which is when he got most of his shots. Didn't carry the play 5-5 at all, was outmuscled at times, looked relatively slow, his line was hemmed in it's own end often, and he generally wasn't a factor at all 5-5. Even in the 1st when the Czechs weren't down multiple goals he still didn't look overly engaged.

1 hour ago, Stelar said:

Not to say Glass won’t be a great player but imagine the outrage on CDC if we had taken him instead of EP at this point. 

Given how much patience a lot of the people here have given some of our other prospects, I don't know about outrage at this point. I think a lot of the people here would just give one of the following excuses:

• Does Pettersson play Center?
  • Will Pettersson ever gain weight to play in the NHL?
  • Glass' numbers are better this year compared to last year even though the opposition's keying in on him
  • Glass is Canadian
  • Glass plays a good 2-way game
  • I heard that the league he's playing in is not as good as when Forsberg was playing there
  • you can't tell how good they'll be until they get in the NHL

And so forth, and so on.

1 minute ago, rekker said:

Sounds like you expect him to be McDavid. EP is not that kind of player. I saw a lot to get excited about in both his games. Great on ice awareness that is needed to play the pro game. 

Considering the numbers he's been putting up in the SHL, and considering that he himself has said that he wanted to be a "dominant" player, I'd at least expect him to be noticeable outside of the PP. 

What I'm getting from the responses I'm seeing so far is that this is indicative of his general play, which scares me.

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I was hoping someone would tell me that he's usually better rather than make excuses for him :/

He was a fringe player any time he wasn't on the PP, which is when he got most of his shots. Didn't carry the play 5-5 at all, was outmuscled at times, looked relatively slow, his line was hemmed in it's own end often, and he generally wasn't a factor at all 5-5. Even in the 1st when the Czechs weren't down multiple goals he still didn't look overly engaged.

What excuses? It was a tight game and no one on either side really stood out 5 on 5. You need to temper your expectations. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Considering the numbers he's been putting up in the SHL, and considering that he himself has said that he wanted to be a "dominant" player, I'd at least expect him to be noticeable outside of the PP. 

What I'm getting from the responses I'm seeing so far is that this is indicative of his general play, which scares me.

Maybe we should all temper our expectations of big numbers on small ice untill he gets the feel of small ice. You can see how that extra time on big ice would benefit him. He does have two nice goals in two games. 

Edited by rekker

2 minutes ago, JoshuaGuy said:

What excuses? It was a tight game and no one on either side really stood out 5 on 5. You need to temper your expectations. 

Dahlin, Andersson, and a few of the guys I'm not as familiar with lower in their lineup all looked more engaged to me 5-5 *shrugs*

Considering he's been putting up historic numbers in the SHL, I think it's fair to have some expectations.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Scares you? Heh. Maybe hockey isn’t your jam. He is an incredibly smart player and it probably won’t ever look like he’s busting ass because he doesn’t have to. 

If you’re looking for flaws in his game you’re going to see some. That’s how confirmation bias works. 

Just now, rekker said:

Maybe we should all temper our expectations of big numbers on small ice untill he gets the feel of small ice. You can see how that extra time on big ice would benefit him. He'

That's fair.

I'm just hoping to see a bit more from him 5-5 as the tournament goes on and he continues to adjust. Smaller ice surface takes away some of the time and space that he normally has to work with. Hopefully it's just a matter of time.

Just now, JoshuaGuy said:

Scares you? Heh. Maybe hockey isn’t your jam. He is an incredibly smart player and it probably won’t ever look like he’s busting ass because he doesn’t have to. 

If you’re looking for flaws in his game you’re going to see some. That’s how confirmation bias works. 

Being completely ineffective 5-5 is a pretty significant flaw, regardless of how you look at it.

Just now, JoshuaGuy said:

Exactly. He is a very smart hockey player with lots of skill. He transitioned well to the next level of play back home. That is what you want to see. For his first few games on small ice I am happy with what I see. 

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, Filthymitts32 said:

Watching his game today reminds me of Lind, doesn't look like he's going full speed but is still showing good instincts and only needs one chance to make something happen. Haven't watched Elias before but I've seen quite a bit of Lind, living in Kelowna. 

Lind's another one with a sweet shot.