The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

1) I never said BC was racism-free. Don't take things out of context. And because others are doing it does NOT make it OK. 

2) It's OK because he was joking? I think that's even worse as his intention was clear. (as is yours)

3) His comment was racist, period. 

I just spotted a mistake and brought it up as I should. 

Instead of doing a blind-eye, I think that's part of the reason why Asians get blatant more racial jokes against them amongst all minorities. 

I can't believe that I am defending myself for standing up against something that is wrong in anyway. 

Racism should not be tolerated under any circumstances. 

I disagree and do not think he meant any racist slur. But what do I know? I haven't spent my life travelling the world, and 7 months volunteering in Africa. I cant know anything about racism. Sorry if I took your comment somewhat out of context but I believed it was implied in the way it was written. Anyways thats enough of this conversation.

How about that Pettersson guy?!! He's a real stud, cant wait to see him playing in NA next year. My preference is in Utica centring Dahlen and Gadjovich! That would be a fun line to watch!

1 minute ago, RetroCanuck said:

I disagree and do not think he meant any racist slur. But what do I know? I haven't spent my life travelling the world, and 7 months volunteering in Africa. I cant know anything about racism. Sorry if I took your comment somewhat out of context but I believed it was implied in the way it was written. Anyways thats enough of this conversation.

How about that Pettersson guy?!! He's a real stud, cant wait to see him playing in NA next year. My preference is in Utica centring Dahlen and Gadjovich! That would be a fun line to watch!

Ya, I will leave it at this as well.

EP will be a beast pro next season for sure.

I would like to see him on the wing next to Gaudette (If Gaudette will be in Utica that is)

Getting a high pick in this coming draft will also make things interesting. If we end up in Top 5, I think we will get a good player. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

I am South Korean and I was offended by a post that was directed against my race. 

That probably is the only and biggest reason. 

Well, my first wife(common law) was born in Seoul..80's & early 90's..so long ago, may's well been a past life. For WHATever that's worth?!

(apologies to any who come here to discuss EP)

All of humanity is linked, if we take this about 200,000~300,000 yrs back to Africa..so your concept of "racism" is not how I perceive the term. The joke's on all of us, if we take things back far enough..(subject to one's pov). The things I believed were 'patriotic pride' in my 20's, I now see as frivolous & childish..outdated notions, & the like.

Life's too short to get wound up about such perceptions. It's a cheap misconception, which is usually exploited by the F***ers at the top of any hierarchical-pyramid.

Its good to see that he can play in the middle at the SHL level. I do thibk it would be great for him to have 1 full year as a C in Sweden before coming over to North America. 

The only down side is he doesnt get the puck off the draw as often when he is playing C. He more dangerous with the puck than as someone looking to get it back. Playibg a full year having to rely on his wingers to get him the puck back in scoring positions would be helpful. He would also learn how to drive play from the middle of the ice more through the neutral zone.

Overall this year has been as good as one could hope so far.

7 hours ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

You realize the olympics is in South Korea not North.

This statement is both retarded and racist. 

=_=

Really..? Someone makes a joke (all be it maybe a little questionable) and you drop the big R? You literally lost 100% credibility after that, since what you said was far worst then what you were offeneded by.

ANYWAYS!

HOW ABOUT OUR BOY?! PRETTY GREAT HOCKEY PLAYER EH?!

• Cheers 1

Gonna comment on the dust-up in this thread from earlier today (I guess yesterday now), but I’ll hide my thoughts inside a spoiler (since this is the Pettersson thread after all).

Am I the only one who thinks the whole problem started from a misreading of Nuxfan’s original post?

Seems like LowerMainLander’s issue was the perceived conflation of North and South Korea.

But Nuxfan’s post doesn’t really make sense without there being two Koreas.

He jokes about Kim Jong-un not wanting Pettersson at the Olympics because he doesn’t want “new generation firepower on his doorstep.”

To be “on the doorstep” of North Korea, wouldn’t that necessitate the Olympics being in another country (ie: South Korea)? And wouldn’t that mean Nuxfan’s post is actually acknowledging the two Koreas as separate nations?

So is the initial post, to quote LowerMainLander, “ignorant as North and South Koreans are two totally different countries?”

Doesn’t seem like it. Which is why I was really surprised that this was the issue that started the whole thing. 

Not that I’m at all insensitive to what LowerMainLander was feeling. And I’m glad they spoke up when they were offended. Racism should always be called out, on these boards and everywhere in life. But in this case, I don’t believe Nuxfan was actually doing the thing that LowerMainLander felt was racist (conflating North and South Korea and failing to acknowledge the differences between the two nations). In fact, as I stated earlier, I don’t think Nuxfan’s joke even makes sense without there being two Koreas.

And actually, if there was anything really problematic in Nuxfan’s post, it would seem to me that the “Jong-Dong” part is what might potentially be read as offensive.

That type of stuff skates pretty close to the singsong rhyming garbage (like the awful “Ching-Chong Ding-Dong” types of pejoratives) that some people use to mock Asian languages and names.

And “Dong” types of name-mocking can be seen to reference stereotypical characters (like “Long Duk Dong” from the movie Sixteen Candles), forming the basis for the “dongers” taunts endured by a generation of Asian people (especially Asian-Americans growing up in the 1980s).

So that “Jong-Dong” stuff comes maybe a little close to something that can, depending on your background and experience, actually be pretty offensive.

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2014/07/14/330769890/how-ching-chong-became-the-go-to-slur-for-mocking-east-asians

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2015/02/06/384307677/whats-so-cringe-worthy-about-long-duk-dong-in-sixteen-candles

Although knowing Nuxfan (from his post history here and from the personal details he’s recently shared), I highly doubt any of this was ever his intent. In fact, I’m pretty much certain (at least as certain as one can be about another’s intentions) that it wasn’t at all meant that way.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 4

I see a million offensive things every day. That doesn't mean somebody should start a revolution on an Internet forum over something that may or may not be potentially offensive to somebody. 

Pettersson is the most exciting prospect we've had on a LONG time. Although, I am a bit miffed as to why management in both the World Juniors (using him on 2nd line, not choosing him in top 3) and the Olympics don't seem to trust him despite leading their top men's league at barely 19 years old. 

1 hour ago, ThaManbeast said:

Pettersson is the most exciting prospect we've had on a LONG time. Although, I am a bit miffed as to why management in both the World Juniors (using him on 2nd line, not choosing him in top 3) and the Olympics don't seem to trust him despite leading their top men's league at barely 19 years old. 

The words in sweden after his WJC was mainly "he didnt get anything done" also alot of people seem to believe that he is where he is because of his linemates (mainly Rosén in PP and before his #2 centre experiment)

no Idea where they got that from and some people i know here in Timrå sees Dahlén as the bet for bigger impact during his career in the NHL before EP

edit: there was even voices for Dahlén at the olympics in swedish media

Edited by ForzaTikare

36 minutes ago, ForzaTikare said:

The words in sweden after his WJC was mainly "he didnt get anything done" also alot of people seem to believe that he is where he is because of his linemates (mainly Rosén in PP and before his #2 centre experiment)

no Idea where they got that from and some people i know here in Timrå sees Dahlén as the bet for bigger impact during his career in the NHL before EP

Must be something in the water in Sweden.

1 hour ago, ForzaTikare said:

I wonder if it’s just more people think Petterssons weight would be an issue next year. Maybe Dahlen weighing more and being the faster player they think next year he’d have an easier transition. I still think added weight or not Pettersson is on the team next year he’s too skilled. He’s already better then 90% of the guys we have out there now.

• Upvote 1