The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

So we can win Rasmus Dahlin in the lottery the same day Elias Pettersson could win the SHL championship?  

That would be one hell of a day :lol:

The "we need more big Canadian kids, trade for Lucic"-crowd won't like that.

8 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

No real 1st line (yet) and just lost 105 points on a team that struggles to score. 

No point replacement in sight (again, yet). 

Most of their points came on Pp

we will allow fewer goals against with sedins gone(not known for their defensive capabilities)

will have more flexibility regarding rolling 4 lines not having to worry to shelter the twins via zone starts

better let the young kids make the same mistakes the twins were making last year and this year and learn from it and improve, than to watch twins , make the mistakes and not be able to improve

Theres two sides to the story drummerboy

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Nice margin or error :lol:

Ya haha. 45-70 was my original. Prob should scale it back. I can see him reaching 75 tho. Quality of linemates be the biggest factor. If he's with Sutter and Archie all season maybe closer to the 40 mark lol. if he gets a Dahlen and Virtanen tho. ^^

Just now, Rush17 said:

Ya haha. 45-70 was my original. Prob should scale it back. I can see him reaching 75 tho. Quality of linemates be the biggest factor. If he's with Sutter and Archie all season maybe closer to the 40 mark lol. if he gets a Dahlen and Virtanen tho. ^^

Even 1 half decent winger and he can probably put up some respectable numbers. Nothing like the pressure of fans thinking you a 50-70 point player as a rookie lol

Commentator in Sweden on Pettersson and Dahlen:

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/zanier-dahlen-is-a-hockey-nerd-with-a-passion-to-improve-1.1053058

Al though the title says Dahlen is a hockey nerd he is actually talking about Pettersson in that section of the interview. (Their staff took a day off I think)

Talks about the battles adjustments Elias has made since the playoffs have start. Sounds like he primarily followed Vaxjo but he saw some of Dahlen's placement series.

3 hours ago, Fanuck said:

My guess is that they really wanted to interview EP regarding the twins Sweden connection and the influence (if any) they had on him and hockey in Sweden in general so that the CBC could incorporate that into their broadcast.  I understand and appreciate his focus - but it would've been interesting to hear his comments on the twins legacy/influence - I'm sure we'll hear it but not until he's finished taking care of 'business'. 

His favorite player growing up was Peter the Great.  

6 hours ago, Rush17 said:

I can't get enough of these lol. This kid is do gold. Probably the best prospect we got.  His potential ceiling is higher then any other player in our system or our NHL club.  Boeser is freaking amazing. I can only envision what those 2 and Dahlen would look like as a trio.

Dahlen - Pettersson - Boeser

That line in 5 years could haunt opposing defenders dreams lol.  Dahlen super clutch too. Reminds me of burrows and his clutchness.  Its way to soon to draw conclusions some of these guy may not be what we imagine but the sky appears to be the limit for this kid.

Yeah his teammates seem to think the kid is off the charts.  I like the one guy who says with some of his dangles you have to look at video to figure out what he did.  He will need some time to adjust to the game here but it looks like we might be getting the next Mario  Lemieux 

• Like 2

On 4/10/2018 at 7:01 PM, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Then how did we manage to be a playoff team all the way up until Bo got hurt...

The players coming in will more than offset the Sedins...the young D. will be a year older and have Juolevi pushing them...we will have depth in Utica for the first time ever...

I say we make the playoffs next year...

Just watch....

I hope we make the playoffs too.

I think we have a chance if at least 3 of the below 4 are realized:

1. We draft Dahlin

2. Markstrom plays like he did in the last 10 games basically all season... 

3. Pettersson, Dahlin, Gaudette, and maybe even Juolevi plays as well as Boeser did

4. No injuries to key players

Look at Colorado. They have McKinnon, basically 100 point scorer on a full season, Raantanen, and Landeskog. They have a great first line, and not much after that. 

If Pettersson comes in and scores 30 goals and 70 points playing with Boeser and Horvat that may be barely enough but I doubt it. Colorado's first line is better but they still barely made it.

Unless we get real good secondary scoring from players like Eriksson, Gaud, Virtanen, Baer, and etc, it's going to be hard.

There are just way too many ifs and frankly, I think we are in for an exciting season in 2018-19 either way. If we make the playoffs, that's great. If we miss, we get another high draft pick to round out our rebuild.

2019-2020 sign a good UFA or two to supplement the lineup and we will be in the playoffs.

3 hours ago, drummerboy said:

No real 1st line (yet) and just lost 105 points on a team that struggles to score. 

No point replacement in sight (again, yet). 

It certainly was time, but are we ready?  I doubt it.   

No replacements for the twins is a huge loss.  I’d say they aren’t ready. 

And seeing how so many fans reacted to a losing season, when we all knew the team would suck, tells me Vancouver isn’t ready either.  

If if people thought this year was hard, wait until next. 

image.png.c7a33a96bec39a25df6acb91be2df955.png

46 minutes ago, samurai said:

Yeah his teammates seem to think the kid is off the charts.  I like the one guy who says with some of his dangles you have to look at video to figure out what he did.  He will need some time to adjust to the game here but it looks like we might be getting the next Mario  Lemieux 

A little short for that, but I'd be pretty good with getting the next Wayne Gretzky! :)

On 4/10/2018 at 9:42 PM, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Honestly EP is living proof that you don't need to tank to create a Solid team. I mean he was picked 5th overall, and might have even slipped down to 7th  (Vegas really wanted their player), and now in hindsight is the best pick of the 2017 draft. Of course Hischier and Patrick will have some words to say on the matter, but in a re-draft, EP doesn't get past 2nd OA. Him, Boeser, Juolevi Horvat, Demko, Gaudette, Tryamkin, Lind, Gadjovich, Goldobin, Virtanen, and Dahlen are not lottery picks, and we seem to have a very strong core developping. This is thanks to our scouting department, which has been miles ahead of the Gillis era scouting team, and honestly, we are in for a crazy treat the next 15+ years.

Back to the topic that is EP, i am astonished at the season he has had, and i can't wait to see him take a roster spot and not look back. For me, there is absolutely no doubt he finishes the year as our 1C. Absolutely no doubt. I completely understand if some people don't agree, or would rather stay cautiously optimistic for the time being, but I just have one of those feelings. He is the next big Canuck swede, and I really hope he has what it takes to get that SCF game 7 monkey off our back. 

The sky is the limit for EP.

I agree with the excitement surrounding EP. Starting next season, he can be on the #1 PP, and EP and Boeser are going to get their goals and points. I have no doubt that EP will come in and replace Henrik on the PP starting next season and I think he will do better. But from what I have seen, he has a bit of work left to do before he can dominate the NHL on 5-on-5 plays.

Sedins took a bit of a time to get there but once they got there, they destroyed the opposition on 5-on-5 plays. No one was allowed to touch the puck when the Sedins were on the ice, well unless Edler or Ehrhoff bobble the puck at the blue line then the the opposition got to touch the puck.

I think EP will get there but it may take a bit more than one season.

Also, Hischier with his speed and skill may still go #1. Patrick had a bit of a challenge in the beginning but I think he showed late in the season why he was picked #2. I still think these two guys may go #1, #2 in a re-draft. But yeah, Pettersson goes #3 at the latest.

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, how does everyone feel about a line of:

Dahlen, Pettersson, Virtanen

Good balance of speed, size and skill? Little bit of an edge thrown in for good luck?

I'd say EP is probably 2-3 years from even being tried at C

4 hours ago, Fanuck said:

My guess is that they really wanted to interview EP regarding the twins Sweden connection and the influence (if any) they had on him and hockey in Sweden in general so that the CBC could incorporate that into their broadcast.  I understand and appreciate his focus - but it would've been interesting to hear his comments on the twins legacy/influence - I'm sure we'll hear it but not until he's finished taking care of 'business'. 

Maybe. Maybe not. They could have just been looking to praise EP's accomplishments and not having everything revolving around the Sedins. ;) Don't get me wrong, the Sedins have had a great career and to say they wouldn't have influenced anyone back in Sweden would be among the silliest comments one could say.

15 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Wow the goalies look small, slow and unathletic.

Ya the goalies were pretty terrible for a while there lol.  His movements and body type are very comparable tho. He's landed similar shots. I'd say he's a touch faster but so is the league these days. 

Imo Connor McDavid back in grezkys time probably would out point him.