The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

More than anything else, I'm really disappointed with his poor start in the faceoff dot. 27% is beyond abysmal. Sure it's a small sample size, but when you're that far below a reasonable win % with 37 faceoffs, sample size isn't likely your problem anymore. Horvat is our only centre doing well in the faceoff circle unless you include the small 12-faceoff sample of Dowling.

He needs to start hanging out with Horvat more, and less with anyone with the last name Tkachuk. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

More than anything else, I'm really disappointed with his poor start in the faceoff dot. 27% is beyond abysmal. Sure it's a small sample size, but when you're that far below a reasonable win % with 37 faceoffs, sample size isn't likely your problem anymore. Horvat is our only centre doing well in the faceoff circle unless you include the small 12-faceoff sample of Dowling.

Thinking that this may be  real symptom of no preseason. Doubtful he had a lot of practice against NHL centres taking real time draws in Michigan.

Regardless, he got big boy money and called out his team and announced he needs to be on a winner.  Ok. No big deal.  

Just produce now like a top player then buddy and all is good. Simple really.

• Cheers 2

On 10/20/2021 at 12:44 PM, 73 Percent said:

Best player we ever had lol. Pettersson isn't even the best player on our current roster.

You are right about that Pettersson needs to be benched when he plays like a tabby cat . He is not our best player and is not worth his paycheck right now.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

You are right about that Pettersson needs to be benched when he plays like a tabby cat . He is not our best player and is not worth his paycheck right now.

Maybe a stint riding the pine will fire him up and start earning his new payday

Hard to judge a player who missed the 2nd half of last year to injury and almost all of training camp/preseason to contract talks. 

I’ll give him till like the 20ish game mark. A couple weeks after this 17 day homestand. Roughly a month from now.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Hard to judge a player who missed the 2nd half of last year to injury and almost all of training camp/preseason to contract talks. 

I’ll give him till like the 20ish game mark. A couple weeks after this 17 day homestand. Roughly a month from now.

He should have even more energy then. Where’s his motor that he had in his rookie season? He used to get pissed and chase pucks down when he lost it, now he just pouts  or skates to the bench. 

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Not necessarily. His main issue is his timing is way off which all makes sense with him missing a long time away from play. On top of all this his confidence is probably shot atm. 

225 days between games is a long time. Only like 32 games in the last 413 days dating back to the end of the bubble. Missing training camp and pretty much all preseason wasn’t good for him. 

I’ll wait till the 20-25 game mark, roughly a month from now, till I judge him. 

Remember when Horvat had that year when he didn’t score for the 1st half of the season then was like a ppg the 2nd half? We also all had concerns about Boeser in 2019-20 after all his injuries then he was our best forward in 2020-21. 

Time will tell ultimately, like it has before. 

Solid take on this JD :canucks:

7 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Not necessarily. His main issue is his timing is way off which all makes sense with him missing a long time away from play. On top of all this his confidence is probably shot atm. 

225 days between games is a long time. Only like 32 games in the last 413 days dating back to the end of the bubble. Missing training camp and pretty much all preseason wasn’t good for him. 

Remember when Horvat had that year when he didn’t score for the 1st half of the season then was like a ppg the 2nd half? We also all had concerns about Boeser in 2019-20 after all his injuries then he was our best forward in 2020-21. 

I think his main problem is he has lost his motor, he played like Hoglander in his rookie year and every years since it's been dropping.  He'll still get points because of his deployment and PP time but he wont be the player he can be until he gets that drive back.  This is starting to sound like a car commercial, maybe he needs an oil change lol.

On 10/22/2021 at 12:34 PM, -AJ- said:

Petterssen should be on the wing anyway IMO. His faceoff issues are just one factor.

1 hour ago, thrago said:

I think his main problem is he has lost his motor, he played like Hoglander in his rookie year and every years since it's been dropping.  He'll still get points because of his deployment and PP time but he wont be the player he can be until he gets that drive back.  This is starting to sound like a car commercial, maybe he needs an oil change lol.

IMO I believe every fault we see is very likely a result of his lack of play. When you're gone so long you play catch up with pretty much every aspect of your game. We won't know for certain though till we're more into the season. We saw this already with Boeser once playing catch up and he wasn't the Boeser we know that year back in 2019-20 but he came back the following year and put us at ease.

Hughes/Boeser/Petey weren't as good their following years after their rookie season. Youngsters like that take the league by storm but they were the only threats we had for the most part and they got targeted hard. 

Petey at his best was back in the Vegas series where he was making big plays and was involved in most of the series positively(especially games 5 and 6). Probably the only guy not named Demko who showed his worth.

Petey we've heard(from commentators and analysts who talk to him) is very hard on himself. So confidence could be a problem too, more so than other players. Confidence would be a huge factor in someone's drive.

Just have to hope he catches up and picks up his confidence over the course of the season. As I have pointed out we've already seen youngsters go through their troubles and overcome them over time so we already know time ultimately tells.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

IMO I believe every fault we see is very likely a result of his lack of play. When you're gone so long you play catch up with pretty much every aspect of your game. We won't know for certain though till we're more into the season. We saw this already with Boeser once playing catch up and he wasn't the Boeser we know that year back in 2019-20 but he came back the following year and put us at ease.

Hughes/Boeser/Petey weren't as good their following years after their rookie season. Youngsters like that take the league by storm but they were the only threats we had for the most part and they got targeted hard. 

Petey at his best was back in the Vegas series where he was making big plays and was involved in most of the series positively(especially games 5 and 6). Probably the only guy not named Demko who showed his worth.

Petey we've heard(from commentators and analysts who talk to him) is very hard on himself. So confidence could be a problem too, more so than other players. Confidence would be a huge factor in someone's drive.

Just have to hope he catches up and picks up his confidence over the course of the season. As I have pointed out we've already seen youngsters go through their troubles and overcome them over time so we already know time ultimately tells.

Fair points.

But he is the one who purposely limited his on ice situation by sitting out training camp for money. So not a lot of sympathy there.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Petterssen should be on the wing anyway IMO. His faceoff issues are just one factor.

Yeah for sure right now. I think if he ups his strength and size a bit he probably can be better there. Not sure of how many 6'2'' 176lbs centers that are good at draws. Our best guys are usually Miller/Horvat/Sutter and they're 15lbs or heavier in Miller/Horvat's case.

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

There’s the talk. Now let’s see the walk.

No offense but I am sick of empty words not backed up by reality. If this is him being hungry at all let alone hungrier, the Canucks are &^@#ed.

That was back at the beginning of the year. I would be interested in what he would have to say at this point.

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Fair points.

But he is the one who purposely limited his on ice situation by sitting out training camp for money. So not a lot of sympathy there.

He definitely didn't do himself any favors. I would have hoped he would of taken heed given how missing camp affected Boeser previously.

9 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I agree.

Petey's game is all about instinct and hockey IQ to control the game. It's hard to pull off plays when the timing just isn't there and even if you're a half second off beat. 

Especially considering the fact that reading the game is his bread and butter.