The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

23 hours ago, kloubek said:

I do not, however, buy into the idea of him being the captain. There is a lot more to being a captain than just being highly skilled, and I think his poor start is indicative of a slightly fragile psyche. A captain can't break down when the pressure is on.

Petey is young and has an eager to win.

Miller is the guy screwing that up but it seems hard for people to understand how HR works.

Miller isn’t as good as Petey(relies on players like hughes too much) and much older.

So I said trade Miller when he’s on top but some only see the bling. 

10 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Petey is young and has an eager to win.

Miller is the guy screwing that up but it seems hard for people to understand how HR works.

Miller isn’t as good as Petey(relies on players like hughes too much) and much older.

So I said trade Miller when he’s on top but some only see the bling. 

Young and eager to win's fine and all, but this doesn't address Pettersson's current psyche. He does need to fix his mental consistency. Hopefully he's done that under Boudreau but we won't know for sure until enough time has passed with him being more consistent.

I don't know if I put the pressure of captain on him at the moment. I don't think that's fair to Pettersson. Let him develop more first. I'm not saying he won't ever make a good captain. I'm just saying that, because he's young and eager, it would help to let him be young and eager without the added pressure. ;)

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Young and eager to win's fine and all, but this doesn't address Pettersson's current psyche. He does need to fix his mental consistency. Hopefully he's done that under Boudreau but we won't know for sure until enough time has passed with him being more consistent.

I don't know if I put the pressure of captain on him at the moment. I don't think that's fair to Pettersson. Let him develop more first. I'm not saying he won't ever make a good captain. I'm just saying that, because he's young and eager, it would help to let him be young and eager without the added pressure. ;)

Show me a young kid trying to roll over an experianced NHL player.

If Petey had played some AHL before he might have got used to how some NA players are.

If you want a captain that is eager for the team to win Petey is the guy. 
If you want a guy screaming Miller might be the guy…

5 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Show me a young kid trying to roll over an experianced NHL player.

If Petey had played some AHL before he might have got used to how some NA players are.

If you want a captain that is eager for the team to win Petey is the guy. 
If you want a guy screaming Miller might be the guy…

Call me crazy, but at this point, I think Miller would make a better captain than Petey. I do think Petey has captain material in him, but he's not there yet. Still needs some more time to develop mentally to get fully there.

• Upvote 2

On 4/7/2022 at 3:00 PM, kloubek said:

I do not, however, buy into the idea of him being the captain. There is a lot more to being a captain than just being highly skilled, and I think his poor start is indicative of a slightly fragile psyche. A captain can't break down when the pressure is on.

I agree

If not Bo, then I would like a Captain Crunch Captain Canuck, a guy who gives his all every shift and bleeds Canuck and wants to be lead Canucks first (not less than any money he earns)

9 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Call me crazy, but at this point, I think Miller would make a better captain than Petey. I do think Petey has captain material in him, but he's not there yet. Still needs some more time to develop mentally to get fully there.

lol neither guy is captain material.. i love EP and i've defended him every step along the way... but if horvat is gone.. i'll gladly give the C to OEL before giving it to neither Miller nor EP since we are likely to stuck with OEL for the next 6-7 years... EP is not a vocal guy nor would he be the 1st to jump in to defend his teammate.. Miller is way too emotional not in a good way and throws temper tantrums on the ice... being the teams top player doesn't automatically makes you the best captain candidate.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol neither guy is captain material.. i love EP and i've defended him every step along the way... but if horvat is gone.. i'll gladly give the C to OEL before giving it to neither Miller nor EP since we are likely to stuck with OEL for the next 6-7 years... EP is not a vocal guy nor would he be the 1st to jump in to defend his teammate.. Miller is way too emotional not in a good way and throws temper tantrums on the ice... being the teams top player doesn't automatically makes you the best captain candidate.

Totally untrue. We are blessed to have so many players with leadership qualities.

Petey is the epitome of leading by example, in a Sedin/Naslund esque mold. However, he doesn't just lead with offence, he also leads with defence, and he's been doing this since before he got into the NHL. He led his SHL team to a championship and became the golden boy.

Miller is the best heart and soul player we've had since Kesler.

I personally prefer heart and soul captains, which is why I've wanted guys like Miller and Kesler as captains, Linden esque leadership. But other types of leadership are beneficial as well.

22 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Totally untrue. We are blessed to have so many players with leadership qualities.

Petey is the epitome of leading by example, in a Sedin/Naslund esque mold. However, he doesn't just lead with offence, he also leads with defence, and he's been doing this since before he got into the NHL. He led his SHL team to a championship and became the golden boy.

Miller is the best heart and soul player we've had since Kesler.

I personally prefer heart and soul captains, which is why I've wanted guys like Miller and Kesler as captains, Linden esque leadership. But other types of leadership are beneficial as well.

heart and soul guy don't quit on plays. Miller does it with frequency. love the skill and energy he brings.. not a fan of his quitting on play attitude.. and again EP is not a vocal guy quiet non vocal guy is not what this team needs.. if he's already leading by example why doesn't the rest of the team follow his lead? u need to have a C on ur jersey before guys will listen to you? really?

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

heart and soul guy don't quit on plays. Miller does it with frequency. love the skill and energy he brings.. not a fan of his quitting on play attitude.. and again EP is not a vocal guy quiet non vocal guy is not what this team needs.. if he's already leading by example why doesn't the rest of the team follow his lead? u need to have a C on ur jersey before guys will listen to you? really?

I'm not sure what you mean by following his lead.  Pete is wired to improve his game in whichever way

he can, at all times.  He demands the absolute best in himself and if he struggles in one area of the

game, he switches his focus on developing another area.  I think his commitment to the game is

the greatest influence he can have on his teammates and that is how he leads the team.  Pete

knows what it takes to win games.

At the moment, the Canucks only have one player that is a true Captain.  Bo is a Canuck through

and through.  He desperately wants to bring the SC to Vancouver and will elevate his play to another

level when the games get tougher.  When I see Bo bursting down the ice like a freight train and

firing off a dangerous shot on net; often scoring, I have no doubt who the true captain is on our team.

10 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Petey with 10 points (4G 6A) in the 4GP since GM Allvin said “we don’t have a superstar.”

B38E7C62-292F-45E5-B7C1-857A427068B9.gif.82448bd1d84619a3f9531b6e9f88458b.gif

One of our shortcomings for the last 10 years or so has been the lack of a superstar player. Hughes and Demko are both close to that at time and I think for much of this year, Miller has become that, however, I always felt like Petey was the guy we originally expected to become a superstar.

46 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Petey with 10 points (4G 6A) in the 4GP since GM Allvin said “we don’t have a superstar.”

B38E7C62-292F-45E5-B7C1-857A427068B9.gif.82448bd1d84619a3f9531b6e9f88458b.gif

I mean he didnt say "we don't have a superstar".. He said "we don't have THE superstar", the 2 are different.  He was describing this team doesn't have that superstar which would carry the teams every night consistently like crosby and mcdavid.  You can't possibly think Petey is at that same level at least not for the first half of the season so Allvin wasn't wrong.  And even IF he was wrong and he did mean that petey wasn't a superstar.. this call out by Allvin PUSHED Petey to play better.  

We are watching a superstar develop in front of our eyes. He has this innate ability to elevate his game in big moments, we saw it in the playoffs in 2020 where he scored at over a PPG rate, he won playoff MVP in a mens league at 19. This player is the future of the franchise, he plays at both ends of the rink, has the will to win and is one of the most talented players in the history of the Canucks franchise.  

The ridiculous sentiment on this player a few weeks ago was absurd, he was dealing with a severe wrist injury in a horrible offensive system under Travis Green. Pettersson is finding his groove and with a full summer and training camp I firmly believe that this guy can challenge for the Hart next season. 

Some of Pettersson's passes lately have been amazing. That last split second dish to Richardson against Vegas was so smart and perfect.

I noticed in that game as well that Petey was throwing the body, handing out several hits. He's not afraid to go in the dirty areas, and I think once he puts on 15-20 lbs of muscle, he'll be a force. Imagine Pettersson, Podkolzin and Hughes all in their prime. Management really needs to surround these guys with the right players, get them into the playoffs.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, quattrobaj said:

I mean he didnt say "we don't have a superstar".. He said "we don't have THE superstar", the 2 are different.  He was describing this team doesn't have that superstar which would carry the teams every night consistently like crosby and mcdavid.  You can't possibly think Petey is at that same level at least not for the first half of the season so Allvin wasn't wrong.  And even IF he was wrong and he did mean that petey wasn't a superstar.. this call out by Allvin PUSHED Petey to play better.  

I don't think Sid thought Allvin was necessarily in the wrong with what he said and was moreso just pointing out how Pettersson has played since the comment.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, quattrobaj said:

I was mostly just having a little fun with that post, but appreciate the correction/clarification on the Allvin quote. :) 

On 4/7/2022 at 3:00 PM, kloubek said:

In my opinion, that is the real Petey. He had a truly brutal start to the year, and although it took him longer to get back to form than I expected, I never doubted his talents. I don't think we can expect to see lots of 4 point games (328 points anyone?), but in his prime I still expect him to be one of the top players in the league with well over a point a game.

Yeah, must be a fragile psyche. His poor start couldn't possibly have anything to do with missing training camp after not playing for over half a year with a serious wrist injury. With all that rest he should have just exploded out of the gate, right?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1