The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Future 1st line?

Hortankin

3 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Maybe, just maybe ... there's a reason Vilardi slid to 11?

Clearly Benning wasn't the only GM who didn't have Vilardi in the top 5 let alone top 10.

Pettersson was our BPA. That's that.

So all the experts lists are wrong.   Nobody had him at fifth.

21 hours ago, JamesB said:

Goldobin and Dahlen would be okay with Glass. WIth Pettersson that line is just too soft for NHL. They might good in the Swedish league but the NHL is different.  And as for being a future 1st line, if even one of those players becomes a legitimate first liner I will be surprised. To me they all look like second liners, if things go well. Being a second liner in the NHL is still good, but they will need guys playing with them who provide some muscle and solid defence.

Vegas must have been surprised and delighted to see Glass fall into their laps, just like Calgary was last year with Tkachuk.

I just hope if An when they win a cup before us it is not Glass leading the team? If so the story will be retold many times of the team's passing on Glass.

14 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Maybe, just maybe ... there's a reason Vilardi slid to 11?

Clearly Benning wasn't the only GM who didn't have Vilardi in the top 5 let alone top 10.

Pettersson was our BPA. That's that.

1. Yes to your point on Vilardi

2. JB wasn't going for BPA in the first round. Before the draft began, he said he was going to pick a first line playmaking center if there was one available. In other words, Benning was going for positional needs.

Just now, Sandro17 said:

1. Yes to your point on Vilardi

2. JB wasn't going for BPA in the first round. Before the draft began, he said he was going to pick a first line playmaking center if there was one available. In other words, Benning was going for positional needs.

Benning said a playmaking C or a D that can run the PP.   He said that he tried to move up in the top 4.  After Patrick and Hischier that would have been either Makar or Heiskanen.  

What a depressing thread.  It's like CDC took all the wet blankets and threw them in this corner.  I can smell the virtual mold.

I didn't like the Petterson pick at first blush because a future top 6 anchored by Horvat and another bigger body "feels" like the spine of a cup contending squad. Of course, if Glass or Vilardi don't have 1C pedigree then the point is largely moot.  I have questions about Elias' ability to put on weight but I'm willing to hope he manages to get up to 185ish over the next few years.  He's got more sure-fire 1C skill than the others.

On that note, if JB thinks Petterson has a higher ceiling now's the time to swing for the fences.  (I completely disagree with logic behind taking safe picks while we're in the tank - on the contrary, now's the time to take some chances rather than safe, baby steps to mediocrity.)  

Watching tape on the kid, he's immediately our most skilled prospect and I wouldn't say the same with Glass or Vilardi. Also, despite the spoon chest he's already competing against men and can AHL it sooner than the others which is awesome for his development.  By all accounts he's a 200 foot puck hound with good motor and speed so even if he's not a bruiser he's going to be impacting the play.  A lot to like with this kid.

Will our "future top 6" feature every one of the smaller skilled guys Benning is collecting?  Of course not.  The best will rise to the top and we can always add in different ways to plunk some size up there.  In the meantime, for size there's  Horva with Boeser, Virtanen and Gadjovich as decent sized wingers with top 6 upside.  Usually every player on a top line isn't a stand-alone elite skill first liner either so there's wiggle room dependant on chemistry.

On 6/24/2017 at 9:39 AM, EdgarM said:

Haha good one. This is your rebuttal to your PREDICTIONS? Like I said "good on ya" if 6 of our prospects make it to the NHL AND make up our top 9 forwards. Not to mention your PREDICTION of getting Kane as a UFA. Keep 'dreamin' bud and I want a bit of whatever you are smoking. :lol:

Yeah....not really a 'prediction'.

We're at the approximate midway point-ish of a rebuild and things will be in heavy flux for the next few years as some prospects rise to the top, some fall off, we make trades and sign UFA's to fill holes we didn't draft or trade out of.

My understanding of this thread was as a fun exercise in projecting where the lineup might be in a few years based on our current pool and where they hopefully project to. Not something to be set in stone as a bold and inflexible 'prediction'. I'm not Nostradamus and I doubt anyone else here is either. 

But yeah, hilarious....

o-MARIJUANA-SMOKING-facebook.jpg

10 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Yeah....not really a 'prediction'.

We're at the approximate midway point-ish of a rebuild and things will be in heavy flux for the next few years as some prospects rise to the top, some fall off, we make trades and sign UFA's to fill holes we didn't draft or trade out of.

My understanding of this thread was as a fun exercise in projecting where the lineup might be in a few years based on our current pool and where they hopefully project to. Not something to be set in stone as a bold and inflexible 'prediction'. I'm not Nostradamus and I doubt anyone else here is either. 

But yeah, hilarious....

Yeah, I don't quite get where the guy you're responding to is coming from. Of course all of these projections are based mostly on potential/hope.

If we were being 100% realistic, relying only on what is set in stone and not on potential, all of the lineups here would look something like this...

TBD- TBD- TBD

TBD- Horvat- TBD

The only question left regarding Horvat is whether or not he's topped off as a good second line center, or if he can find another level to his game. Literally everyone else is a question mark (as is normally the case during a rebuild).

18 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Yeah, I don't quite get where the guy you're responding to is coming from. Of course all of these projections are based mostly on potential/hope.

If we were being 100% realistic, relying only on what is set in stone and not on potential, all of the lineups here would look something like this...

TBD- TBD- TBD

TBD- Horvat- TBD

The only question left regarding Horvat is whether or not he's topped off as a good second line center, or if he can find another level to his game. Literally everyone else is a question mark (as is normally the case during a rebuild).

I guess someone has to be the cantankerous wet blanket...

On 6/26/2017 at 10:46 AM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

TBD- TBD- TBD

TBD- Horvat- TBD

The only question left regarding Horvat is whether or not he's topped off as a good second line center, or if he can find another level to his game. 

I agree with your first part.  Who knows how our younger players will develop. 

And who knows if Horvat can continue to step it up or not.  Ill put Baertschi I'm that pot as well.  But I do believe both will continue to get better.... Especially Horvat.  Hes already a borderline 1st line center, so he will cap out at an extraordinary second at worst, but looks like he's heading to be an average 1st line center imo.  Baertschi is already around 2nd line talent and will likely go up from here.

I also just have to believe Eriksson is not as bad as he was this past season, and I also think Boeser will continue to impress us.

I was going to put mock line combos together as per the op, but instead I'm just going to list our forwards to see what kinds of names and talents we have now who will almost certainly be impact players. Note that impact might not be top six.  But remember, this was a team that only a year ago had pretty sad forward depth or prospects:

Horvat - likely to be a mid 1st line center the way he is improving

Boeser - Likely to be first line winger

Baertschi - May not progress past 2nd line winger, but may

Granlund - Jury is still out, but 2nd line potential for sure.  Elite 3rd at worst.

Goldobon: Minimum 3rd liner, talent to potentially be a 1st liner.  I suspect he settles in as 2nd liner.

Virtanen - 2nd line at best, but a beast for the 3rd at worst.

Pettersson - I truly believe this guy is 1st line material.  Possibly elite.  I'm confident he will put on muscle.

Eriksson: I think he will bounce back at least to some degree.  Ill say 2nd line winger or elite 3rd at worst

Dorsett: Ok 3rd liner but great 4th liner if nothing else.  We need his tenacity back in light of a generally smallish team.
Sutter: Has never been and IS not a 2nd line center.  But he's a solid 3rd line center.

Dahlen, Lind, Gaudette: Hard to say.  Could be anywhere from 1st to bust for the first two, and I feel Gaudette is likely going to be a strong 3rd liner.  Gadjovich could surprise us all, but at worst he will probably be an excellent bottom 6 contributor.

Bottom line is that we have an abundance of good forward talent -  Way more than we can place, in fact.  In 2-4 years we are going to have two lines that could be considered #1 nhl lines.   Only one probably has a good chance of being considered elite, but two solid #1 lines at worst.  Our 3rd line will have the talent of most 2nds and our 4th line will have the talent of most 3rds.  Even then we might have a couple of spare parts left over to help us get the pmd we need if Juolevi doesn't become what we hope.  And even if he does, having a pmd on each pp unit is no bad thing.  The rest of the d looks pretty strong with Edler, Hutton, Gudbranson, and Stecher, and it is likely all will improve except Edler.  I do hope Tryamkin comes back at some point and we would be pretty much set there too.

Then in goal, hopefully Demko does become the #1 we hope and if not we have bolstered depth there too.

Overall, I'm extremely optimistic.  I don't know what our top line will look like for sure, but there is no longer a shortage of potential names to pencil in there.  

I just hope Pettersson and Dahlen get some time to play with the Sedins before they retire because watching and learning from them would be instrumental in their development, rather than just talking to them after games.

Give Pettersson and Dahlen 1 year in the SHL, then 1 year in the AHL. In that AHL season, the kids can get called up for little stints here and there but predominantly play in the AHL. This will most likely be the Sedins last season (they'd be 38, hard to imagine they'll make it). Pettersson will be 20, Dahlen 21, and hopefully both will be at least 180 lbs so they won't get their backs broken by defenders in the NHL. The following season they can slowly work into a 3rd line role. Then the year after that I'd expect top-6 production from both of them. So realistically, 4 years before we have some decent producers, but that won't be their peak. I'd give it another two seasons before they hit their prime, around their mid 20s.

If Pettersson and Dahlen are realistically about 3-4 years away from contributing at any sort of NHL level, that means we need Henrik and Sutter to somehow contribute a bit, and Horvat will really have to take the reins in that 2nd and 3rd year. I just hope Horvat doesn't hit his peak and then taper off as Pettersson and Dahlen come to town.

The way I see it: 
Pettersson has a good chance of becoming a 1C. It's up to Horvat on whether he turns into a 1C or a 2C, either way, having a 1-2 of these two guys is neat. For arguments sake I'm gonna take Pettersson as the 1C and Horvat as the 2C. 
The only winger I see as having 1W potential is Boeser. I don't quite see it in any other of our prospects, which leaves us with: 
TBD - Pettersson - Boeser

The good thing is that next year if we lose out on Dahlin but get 2OA or 3OA and the draft rankings stay the same as they seem to be projected right now, then we take Andrei Svechnikov to take over that 1LW spot and that completes our top line. 
On the other hand, I do believe chemistry is important, so I'm also comfortable putting in Dahlen at that spot as a placeholder. 

Dahlen - Pettersson - Boeser 

Baertschi (Gadjovich) - Horvat - Eriksson (Granlund/Goldobin/Lind/Virtanen/Gaudette) 
If we take a chance on Yakupov and he develops some bit, we could even slot him into that spot with Horvat or Pettersson. 

I agree with @kloubek in that we have an abundance of interesting forward talent. Some of these guys will still bust. But I am looking forward to seeing these guys progress. The only thing we may be missing a little is size and tenacity in our forward group prospects. I wouldn't be against picking up a couple of guys next year that have bottom 6 floors, more guys like Gadjovich and Virt. 

Not too sure where Goldobin slots into in the future. He is my biggest question mark, even though I like him as a prospect. 

Gadjovich-Pettersson-Boeser

Gadjovich in front of the net and working the corners, Boeser the trigger man and Pettersson moving the puck around.

Baertschi-Horvat-Goldobin

2nd line that is responsable defensively and can generate offense. Horvat and Baertschi already have strong chemistry.

Dahlen-Granlund-Lind

Granlund playing a strong 2 way Game, Dahlen scoring goals and Lind providing the grit and some offensive flair

Virtanen-Gaudette-Lockwood

4th line that could matchup with any team's first line. Very exciting 4th line with tons of speed, skill and grit.

All in all it might not have that one dominant 1st line but very strong throughout all 4 lines. Hopefully atleast some of these guys pan out.

3 hours ago, Brobidus said:

Pettersson has a good chance of becoming a 1C. It's up to Horvat on whether he turns into a 1C or a 2C, either way, having a 1-2 of these two guys is neat. For arguments sake I'm gonna take Pettersson as the 1C and Horvat as the 2C. 
The only winger I see as having 1W potential is Boeser. I don't quite see it in any other of our prospects, which leaves us with: 

The good thing is that next year if we lose out on Dahlin but get 2OA or 3OA and the draft rankings stay the same as they seem to be projected right now, then we take Andrei Svechnikov to take over that 1LW spot and that completes our top line. 
On the other hand, I do believe chemistry is important, so I'm also comfortable putting in Dahlen at that spot as a placeholder. 

Baertschi (Gadjovich) - Horvat - Eriksson (Granlund/Goldobin/Lind/Virtanen/Gaudette) 
If we take a chance on Yakupov and he develops some bit, we could even slot him into that spot with Horvat or Pettersson. 

I agree with @kloubek in that we have an abundance of interesting forward talent. Some of these guys will still bust. But I am looking forward to seeing these guys progress. The only thing we may be missing a little is size and tenacity in our forward group prospects. I wouldn't be against picking up a couple of guys next year that have bottom 6 floors, more guys like Gadjovich and Virt. 

Not too sure where Goldobin slots into in the future. He is my biggest question mark, even though I like him as a prospect. 

Well, Boeser is clearly the most obvious to be on the top line, as he has already shown us what he is capable of in this league.  But I do think we have other players in the system now who *could* fill that role.  In particular, I have my eyes on Dahlen and Lind.   Primarily Dahlen - in particular due to his previous chemistry with Pettersson you mentioned.

If we did draft high then absolutely that would pretty much complete the rebuild... then we just need to wait for development time.  But I'm actually more optimistic that we will be competing for a playoff spot next season.  And if I'm right, then unfortunately 2nd or 3rd OA isn't likely.  

I'm not sure where Goldobin slots in either.  When I wrote what I wrote, he was my biggest question mark besides Virtanen.  His skill is undeniable, but somehow he just doesn't seem to play that "complete game" that makes me think he would be likely to fit into a consistent top three or perhaps even top 6 role.  I'd say he's most likely a 2nd liner at best, but I think it is safe to say he's at least a 3rd liner.  With that said, he's still quite young so with his skills he has time to figure out his game still and might surprise us.

This 1st line/2nd line stuff is BS....accumulate good players...go play

Who's Pittsburghs 1st line ? 2nd ?

Who's Nashville's #1 line ?

Hopefully, Pettersson and Horvat can center a couple top lines and we plug in wingers as we go...

Some are splitting up Dahlen and Pettersson and that's not going to happen. Like the Sedins, they will be paired together. I'm sure that was one of the reasons Benning drafted Pettersson, because we have Dahlen and they've already had success together and have chemistry. They'll be able to develop together, this is a huge plus. I think there's also a plan to re-sign the Sedins for 2 more years, so they'll be here for 3 years yet. Probably a full season with Dahlen and Pettersson in their first year.

The Canucks have quite a few good future Top 9 prospects and I also wonder if Baertschi and/or Goldobin are part of the future. Canucks may want to add some size and grit into the mix. Hard to believe that Horvat was the only player on this list prior to Benning taking over.

Horvat

Boeser

Baertschi

Pettersson

Dahlen

Granlund

Goldobin

Molino

Virtanen

Lind

Gadjovich

Gaudette

Lockwood

Zhukenov

13 hours ago, Brobidus said:

The way I see it: 

If you look at many (if not all) the great lines in the NHL, you really only need two legitimate first line players to make a great first line, as well as a solid top 6 player to compliment them. I certainly wouldn't say Burrows was a completely legitimate first line player, but the Sedin/Burrows line was one of the best in the league for a time.

I heard someone say recently that 20% of NHLers are fixed league knowns, while the rest come and go in relative obscurity (5 yr intervals).

I guess my question/interest would be figuring out our 20% moving forward.

I believe this has also been referred to as a core group - or in lame butt corporate speak, the 'leadership' group.

If I was to identify a group of 20% - or roughly 4 guys - I'd be in tough.

Horvat - yeah duh.

Guddy - that would be nice.

Petterson - he's going to have to.

Boeser - seems like a solid kid to me

Stecher - if he keeps up the compete and progression

Tanev - quietly showing what it takes to bleed all over the place to win

Demko - he's going to have to. He'll have a Bobby-Lou-esque character and will back it up with play.

Sutter - People rag on him, but he's a guy that competes and pushes

Gadjovich - whatever his role/place might be, this kid just oozes smarts, respect, and grit.

So that's more than 20%, but that's a base that I'd be comfortable with. It will allow the others to just hit and score and pass and stuff.

On 06/27/2017 at 5:02 PM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

If you look at many (if not all) the great lines in the NHL, you really only need two legitimate first line players to make a great first line, as well as a solid top 6 player to compliment them. I certainly wouldn't say Burrows was a completely legitimate first line player, but the Sedin/Burrows line was one of the best in the league for a time.

or one if the 1 guy is named Sidney

Archived