The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kole Lind | RW

Canucksin2013

1 minute ago, UticaHockey said:

On the contrary I think most Utica fans will give you an honest opinion of how Vancouver's prospects are progressing in the AHL because most have a relatively neutral viewpoint of the Canucks.  We are neither blinded by unrealistic expectations that fans of the parent team will have nor do we have negative biases because we view the Canucks as rivals.

Before the Canucks placed their AHL team in Utica most of the locals barely paid attention to them because so few people out here follow any of the Pacific Division teams.  Utica is primarily a Rangers town but there are also a solid number of Sabres, Devils and Islanders fans to go along with a smattering of other teams.  Having a neutral team like the Canucks kind of turned out to be a good thing because it avoided the conflicts if the Devils were in Utica and Rangers fans saying they won't support the Devils.

I think most Comets fans have adopted the Canucks as their secondary team or their "Western Conference" team.  I am a Sabres fan first but probably watch almost as many Canucks games.  And as far as the AHL is concerned you will never see me cheering for the Amerks unless they are playing the Crunch of course (our biggest rival).  The same applies to when the Rangers farm team in Hartford visits the Aud. You tend to see more people than usual in Rangers jerseys but you don't hear them cheering when Hartford scores. Comets fans are Comets fans forever independent of who the parent team is.

Seems like you agree.  Utica fans, first and foremost, are not Canuck’s fans.  As a result you have other NHL teams for which you cheer.  Your view of our prospects will absolutely be biased.  We had the Flames farm team out here in Abbotsford.  According to us, and our biased opinions, All their prospects sucked, and weren’t developing - including Backlund.  It’s a normal fan reaction, and it’s okay.  It’s to be expected.  I accept your opinion, but realize your eastern biased.  

• Like 1

I live in Kelowna and saw Lind first hand on many occasions.  He looked eons ahead of most of those around him.  He has the size, skating and vision to be a very good prospect but the beginning of his Utica experience hasn't been great.  I think he will start to come around and by next year we will start to see him as a call up.  He was the best Rocket forward I have seen after Benn and Draisatl(for only 5 months).  They produce a lot of top defensemen, but their forwards haven't seen much success.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Fan since 82 said:

I keep coming here wanting to read about Kole Lind but...

he's not doing too well right now, he's still young and 20 games into his pro career.  give him some time, don't be hfboards.com 2.0 as whoever is not in the NHL is written off as a bust.   Take the opinion of people who watch him as a grain of salt.  

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

There would be a big difference for fans going out to watch the Canucks farm team vs. going to watch some other NHL team's farm team in the Lower Mainland.

I would have zero interest personally in going to watch the flames farm team in Abbotsford. I hate the flames and therefore I would hate their farm team no matter where they played. I would not waste money watching them play.

You missed the point go and read who I was replying to.

As for your point I doubt the Abbotsford people would have stuck with the Comets like the Utica fans have. There is too much entitlement in BC. Anyone can support a winning team but you have to be into the game to support a team when they are losing - a lot. 

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yes, Utica fans do come out to watch their team, and I really hope we keep the team with that city.  However, my point is that the Utica hockey fans are very likely not Vancouver Canuck’s fans.  I don’t think that’s arguable actually.  Given this premise, which is 100% accurate, the Utica hockey fan will see the Cunuck’s prospects with a bias, skewed by their eastern (NHL) bias.  Like I stated, it would be like having Vancouver fans commenting on Leaf’s prospects.  Our view will be biased, just like the Utica peoples’ views will be biased.  Clearly, from this obvious point (Utica fans will be biased against our prospects) we should the perspective of the Utica bias, for what it is.  Craparolla.  

And I had to add ... GO CANUCKS GO!  

Why should we care if they are Vancouver fans? They are supporting OUR players through thick and thin and that is what matters to THESE boys, not whether the fans support their employer's team.

So many people on here don't seem to understand the benefit of having a fan base who will support the Comets EVEN WHEN THEY ARE LOSING. Hell we didn't even have that kind of support here when the Canucks were losing. There is no bandwagon in Utica it just these guys and THEIR team.

I want to see our youngsters give them success because that is what will give the Canucks success and I am comforted that unlike BC there is a fanbase out there who may criticise them at times but don't desert them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

I live in Kelowna and saw Lind first hand on many occasions.  He looked eons ahead of most of those around him.  He has the size, skating and vision to be a very good prospect but the beginning of his Utica experience hasn't been great.  I think he will start to come around and by next year we will start to see him as a call up.  He was the best Rocket forward I have seen after Benn and Draisatl(for only 5 months).  They produce a lot of top defensemen, but their forwards haven't seen much success.

I would say if he can't improve his skating, he's destined for a minor pro career.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Why should we care if they are Vancouver fans? They are supporting OUR players through thick and thin and that is what matters to THESE boys, not whether the fans support their employer's team.

So many people on here don't seem to understand the benefit of having a fan base who will support the Comets EVEN WHEN THEY ARE LOSING. Hell we didn't even have that kind of support here when the Canucks were losing. There is no bandwagon in Utica it just these guys and THEIR team.

I want to see our youngsters give them success because that is what will give the Canucks success and I am comforted that unlike BC there is a fanbase out there who may criticise them at times but don't desert them.

++++++100

This is so true...

I don't follow Utica as much as some of you guys, but I haven't seen any report suggest they have a bias against Canucks prospects. 

They support their team and the players on their team in thick and thin. Good for them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, stawns said:

I would say if he can't improve his skating, he's destined for a minor pro career.

Lind most certainly needs to work on his skating over the off-season.  He has been a little more noticeable over the past few games mostly on the rush but he needs to be a half step or better to finish.  He just doesn't have the skating ability to get around the defender and finish the play.  The goals will eventually come but he needs to improve his skating to become a legitimate AHL threat let alone a NHL player.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

Lind most certainly needs to work on his skating over the off-season.  He has been a little more noticeable over the past few games mostly on the rush but he needs to be a half step or better to finish.  He just doesn't have the skating ability to get around the defender and finish the play.  The goals will eventually come but he needs to improve his skating to become a legitimate AHL threat let alone a NHL player.

Lind is a fabulous skater.  Again, your eastern bias clearly affects your evaluation of our prospects.  He is physically still a boy.  When he grows into his man body, Lind will be an impact in the NHL, because of his elite skating.  

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Lind is a fabulous skater.  Again, your eastern bias clearly affects your evaluation of our prospects.  He is physically still a boy.  When he grows into his man body, Lind will be an impact in the NHL, because of his elite skating.  

Alf, Both Stawns and UticaHockey are questioning Lind's skating at the pro level. Both are watching him at the AHL level.  I certainly have not seen enough of his game to comment. What is your basis for saying he is a fabulous skater? Horvat's skating was questioned and he took power skating to improve which he did. 

20 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Alf, Both Stawns and UticaHockey are questioning Lind's skating at the pro level. Both are watching him at the AHL level.  I certainly have not seen enough of his game to comment. What is your basis for saying he is a fabulous skater? Horvat's skating was questioned and he took power skating to improve which he did. 

I watch Lind play, and (of course) I’m not a Ranger’s or Leaf’s fan, so my evaluations of our prospects is not skewed by an eastern bias.  Lind’s a fabulous skater.  It’s obvious, when watching him play.  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I think this is a important point Alf

Remember Virtanen, and really, it was just about him growing, and maturing, learning about commitment to details before he really started showing his value.

This is because as a junior he could use his natural size and skill, and that is all it took.....in the NHL everyone has that, but he lacked the other intangibles

I think other than elite's who's talents, are great for the average NHler to handle, most junior players coming to the big club need that time to mature.

Look at most junior players first year up from bantam...….certainly lower that their last year in most cases...….it just takes that time to mature....it just does

Not unlike the real world

Even look at our own Winnipeg Mosse alumni......Edler, Burrows, Bieska, and Tanev, who all spent time in the AHL, polishing their skill

My time line for Lind is 3 years in the AHL, and he will come to our league ready and understanding what it takes to be a pro, knowing systems, and understanding detail, as well as just developing man muscles...….I expect him to be a 2/3 winger

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, stawns said:

He has been spending a lot of time on his skating and apparently is working off ice on different issues to allow him to be a bit more explosive.   Apparently very aware his first few steps need to be more explosive.   He is "just late" to a few too many pucks when he has been able to be in the line-up.

42 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He has been spending a lot of time on his skating and apparently is working off ice on different issues to allow him to be a bit more explosive.   Apparently very aware his first few steps need to be more explosive.   He is "just late" to a few too many pucks when he has been able to be in the line-up.

And that is consistent with what many are seeing from Lind in game action. He needs to improve his skating explosiveness and physical strength.  I never once said that Kole Lind is a bust just an honest opinion of where his game is right now and what he needs to work on to get to the next level.  To say that he is a fantastic skater is not an accurate assessment of his current skill set when compared to other players in this league.

I think besides skating it’s also a confidence thing. Being just that little late to the puck is often a combination of lack of speed and hesitation and/or not finding the shortest path to the puck. Kole’s had a bit of a rough start, but if he can better his skating and his confidence, this phase will be a good learning experience. 

On 12/27/2018 at 5:31 PM, The 5th Line said:

You would be offended by the fake news quote seeing as how you were spreading fake news in the Juolevi thread about MT and got called out on it by multiple people.  

5th,

I was asked one question about kieth that I haven't responded to yet.  I dont like MT, and never wanted him in Vancouver preceding the draft.  Yes I think his dad was an ass... I think MT is just like his dad.  It is my and was my main issue with the player.  Its not fake news, it called my opinion, not news and not fake.  

So stop deflecting, deal with your own $&!#, I can more than handle mine.  

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, stawns said:

Thanks for your opinion :)  You obviously see something that is not there and needs to be to get to the next level. Care to elaborate on anything like is it a couple small details on skating or speed etc. 

9 hours ago, stawns said:

Stawns.. Could you please elaborate on what it is you see that he needs to improve. Is it one step acceleration to blow by a defender or are there other deficiencies to his skating that need work? Enjoy your posts but sometimes left wanting more info.

15 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Stawns.. Could you please elaborate on what it is you see that he needs to improve. Is it one step acceleration to blow by a defender or are there other deficiencies to his skating that need work? Enjoy your posts but sometimes left wanting more info.

well, first of all, I don't think he's not a good skater, it's just that only the elite get to the NHL and I don't see that in his skating atm.  To me, he's too upright and that puts his centre of gravity further from the ice and kind of makes him "top heavy" when he skates, and therefore easier to knock off balance, and off the puck.  I also think his strides are too short and he's not get the most out of his movement.  I think that ties in with having a "top heavy" stance.  Finally, I don't think he has the leg strength, right now, to generate the takeoff speed that he needs to be successful as a pro player.  Luckily, those are all things he can work on.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1