The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael DiPietro | G

Canucksin2013

1 minute ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

Exactly!  One more year in juniors and he will be ready to take over for Demko in the AHL!!  

And in two more years, he will be ready to challenge Demko for our starter's role:)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

And in two more years, he will be ready to challenge Demko for our starter's role:)

Really no need to rush the guy. I would say Junior next year and then at least 2 years on the Comets before he comes up to the Canucks. That still might even be rushing him as he’d only be 22 years old.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

Easy for him to go full out in practice when he likely won't factor into many games. With that said, good thing he's taking it all in stride and gaining as much wisdom with NHL players as he can. Seems like a hard worker that will do whatever it takes to make it.

On 2018-05-03 at 9:58 AM, Alflives said:

Woah woah woah lol dipietro is extremely raw right now. He will take a while.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, TGT68 said:

yeah.  we needed another goalie drafted between dipietro and demko. 

Dipietro is much like Tim Thomas, extremely unpredictable, unorthodox tendy but an extremely hard worker. He will succeed but it will take time. 

2 hours ago, cyoung said:

Dipietro is much like Tim Thomas, extremely unpredictable, unorthodox tendy but an extremely hard worker. He will succeed but it will take time. 

and was a very young drafted player who will play in the world junior in draft plus 2 season.  Thus we need a goalie between demko and dipietro.  

2 hours ago, cyoung said:

I’ve head Dipietro compared to Jonathan Quick too.  A bit shorter guy, but incredibly athletic and high compete. 

2 hours ago, TGT68 said:

and was a very young drafted player who will play in the world junior in draft plus 2 season.  Thus we need a goalie between demko and dipietro.  

Why is it that we need a goalie in between Demko and DiPietro? If Demko progression goes according to plan, we should get hopefully at least 6 great years with him. DiPietro will be 24-25 by then and hopefully looking to challenge the starting spot by then much like Demko's progression. Unless we are looking at having 2-3 years per goalie and offloading one after the next steps up, is that what you're saying? I have no problem drafting more goalies if one doesn't pan out, but I'm not sure why one needs to be in between Demko and DiPietro.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Why is it that we need a goalie in between Demko and DiPietro? If Demko progression goes according to plan, we should get hopefully at least 6 great years with him. DiPietro will be 24-25 by then and hopefully looking to challenge the starting spot by then much like Demko's progression. Unless we are looking at having 2-3 years per goalie and offloading one after the next steps up, is that what you're saying? I have no problem drafting more goalies if one doesn't pan out, but I'm not sure why one needs to be in between Demko and DiPietro.

At the AHL level 2 to 3 years sounds about the right amount of time for a goalie that is progressing to the next level.  But the point is that Demko will be gone from Utica before Dipietro is ready for the starting role. Thus we seem to be short a quality goalie in the pipeline.  Not every player is going to progress and succeed either.  Now with Bachman looking really old this year and Garteig not appearing to be able to progress past echl we seem to be going to need to find another goalie.  And both Gartieg and Bachman we already FA signings and fill in players because we haven't drafted enough quality goalies.  

Edited by TGT68

1 minute ago, TGT68 said:

At the AHL level 2 to 3 years sounds about the right amount of time for a goalie that is progressing to the next level.  But the point is that Demko will be gone from Utica before Dipietro is ready for the starting role. Thus we seem to be short a quality goalie in the pipeline.  Not every player is going to progress and succeed either.  Now with Bachman looking really old this year and Garteig not appearing to be able to progress past echl we seem to be going to need to find another goalie.  

I see your point, but other than benefiting Utica, I think we could either look at a college FA (for more potential) or even AHL quality goaltending to hold the fort until DiPietro to come in. This was the role of Bachman, so we need to find another Bachman. Demko looks to be ready to succeed in his progression, but DiPietro is more of a question mark, but he's doing the right things so far. I wouldn't be against drafting another goalie this year (Skarek or Dostal) if they are available in the later rounds as insurance to DiPietro.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

I’ve head Dipietro compared to Jonathan Quick too.  A bit shorter guy, but incredibly athletic and high compete. 

I don't see the comparisons stylistically, Quick is maticulous and very sound positionally. Dipietro is very unorthodox. 

6 hours ago, cyoung said:

I don't see the comparisons stylistically, Quick is maticulous and very sound positionally. Dipietro is very unorthodox. 

I think the comparisons to Quick are more along the lines of being that he relies a lot on his athleticism, rather than stylistically.  

Perhaps comparisons to Tim Thomas or Dominik Hasek are more accurate for actual stylistic analysis.  His compete, reaction, and ability to read play levels are extremely high... The type of goalie that can will his team to a victory, and find ways of stopping pucks that goalies that rely solely on positioning and structure don’t.  Goalies like this typically play better as the stakes increase, as they become more involved and determined.... also the most frustrating for opposition to scout and play against as you can’t really pick apart will and determination.  I think being cut from Team Canada at the WJHC was the best thing that could’ve happened to him.  It’s only pushed him.  Now to be present with the big boys at the worlds...  I’m quite sure he’ll absolutely dominate the OHL next season. 

I know now there are a LOT of eastern media that are extremely high on him.   He’ll likely represent Canada at the WJHCs next year and from there it should be interesting to see how he translates to pro.  He really could end up being something very special. 

Edited by 70seven
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I see your point, but other than benefiting Utica, I think we could either look at a college FA (for more potential) or even AHL quality goaltending to hold the fort until DiPietro to come in. This was the role of Bachman, so we need to find another Bachman. Demko looks to be ready to succeed in his progression, but DiPietro is more of a question mark, but he's doing the right things so far. I wouldn't be against drafting another goalie this year (Skarek or Dostal) if they are available in the later rounds as insurance to DiPietro.

Eddie Lack is a FA, I bet he’d return to the organization to play for Utica. He’s my Bachman replacement vote at least. Know quantity, good goalie, can play in the nhl if we need him to.

Edited by Attila Umbrus