The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

On 1/2/2022 at 1:04 PM, Hairy Kneel said:

Coach B said Hunt goes all out every shift. Gives it his all 110 percent every shift. Which doesn't bode well for Rathbone imo

Brad Hunt: A+ for effort; a big fat F for productivity and effectiveness.  Hunt is not an NHL defenceman.  He belongs in the AHL.

Rathbone, at the very least, has the potential to be a solid NHL defenceman.

Edited by bigbadcanucks
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Brad Hunt: A+ for effort; a big fat F for productivity and effectiveness.  Hunt is not an NHL defenceman.  He belongs in the AHL.

I will take BBs opinion on that over yours lol.

• Cheers 2

26 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Every coach has their favorites. BB is not immune.

Hunt is a placement holder for J Bone though once they see he is the best player on Abby.

Willy d Mike Chaput and Jayson Megna.

100 percent this Rathbone is the future on LD needs to get cleaner on the small plays and details and he will be in the lineup I’m guessing the approach is they want the next time they call him up to be his permanent addition as opposed to yo-yo ing between leagues.

• Upvote 1

Bone is a point a game guy in the AHL.  17 games, 17 points.  He should be able to make the big club next year.  Hunt is a UFA so unless Boudreau pulls a Willie D/Megna stunt I see Bone as minimum the 7th D next year and maybe on the 3rd pairing.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 2
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He is exempt for one more year after this year.   

Jack Rathbone Waivers

Exemption Determination
  • Covid Roster Freeze Player: No
  • 2020-21 Games Played Prorated Player: Yes
  • Waivers signing age: 20
    • Position: skater
      • Seasons Exempt: 3
      • NHL Games Played Exempt: 143
  • First pro-game season age: 21
    • First pro-game season: 2020-21
  SEASONS NHL GAMES PLAYED
REQUIRED 3 143
COMPLETED 1
1. 2020-21
Exempt
1. 2019-20
2019-20: 0
2020-21: 8
2021-22: 9
REMAINING
Estimated waivers required beginning: 2023-24

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Bone is a point a game guy in the AHL.  17 games, 17 points.  He should be able to make the big club next year.  Hunt is a UFA so unless Boudreau pulls a Willie D/Megna stunt I see Bone as minimum the 7th D next year and maybe on the 3rd pairing.

Offense wasn't in question.  He was beyond awful in his own end.  That said, I have no doubts he will shore up that part of his game, however he shouldn't be rushed.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

23 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

And, Rathbone is in Abbotsford, learning how to be an NHL defenseman, right where he should be. Until he learns how to effectively handle his own end of the ice, we are better with Hunt. There are no illusions that Hunt is just a placeholder, he’s not going to develop past where his game is now.

If we give Rathbone a little time, his game will continue to improve.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He is exempt for one more year after this year.  But I think he makes the team next year.  17 points in 17 AHL games.  He's gonna come to camp next year pumped and ready.

If that's the case he may very well be in Abbotsford next season too, depends on where his defensive game is come camp next season imo

Offense isn't what they'll be expecting from a third pairing role so much as reliable defense, he's not jumping OEL or Hughes any time soon

Offense helps, absolutely, but he'll need to bring more 

Rutherford wanting the team to get younger may work in his favour though

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

If that's the case he may very well be in Abbotsford next season too, depends on where his defensive game is come camp next season imo

Offense isn't what they'll be expecting from a third pairing role so much as reliable defense, he's not jumping OEL or Hughes any time soon

Offense helps, absolutely, but he'll need to bring more 

Rutherford wanting the team to get younger may work in his favour though

I agree.  Plus more speed.  Looking at Florida they don't have a big defence at all other than Ekblad.  I think that is the new norm for the NHL moving forward. Puck movers with speed are the key.  Forsling is having a great year.  Montour and Weegar are 6' tall.  I think Rathbone can be a 3rd pairing guy as long as he works on his defensive game.  He may need more time in Abby but I'm hoping he breaks out next year.

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree.  Plus more speed.  Looking at Florida they don't have a big defence at all other than Ekblad.  I think that is the new norm for the NHL moving forward. Puck movers with speed are the key.  Forsling is having a great year.  Montour and Weegar are 6' tall.  I think Rathbone can be a 3rd pairing guy as long as he works on his defensive game.  He may need more time in Abby but I'm hoping he breaks out next year.

He'd be an easy LD decision, nobody in the system has really locked down that third spot 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Forsling is looking good. Remeber when he wasa Canuck  :lol:

4 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Forsling is looking good. Remeber when he wasa Canuck  :lol:

Remember when Forsling was drafted by Benning in the 5th round, and Gillis never could draft a single good player in the later rounds? :rolleyes:

Edited by Dazzle