The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

15 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Rathbone is clearly the best D prospect on the roster. He isn't good he's a difference maker IMO. OJ is in tough to beat this guy out

OJ can be a good reliable two way defenceman.  Maybe a top 4 guy.  Rathbone however has the potential to be a superstar similar to Adam Fox.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

OJ can be a good reliable two way defenceman.  Maybe a top 4 guy.  Rathbone however has the potential to be a superstar similar to Adam Fox.

Fox is sure looking good, Remember he was darfted by Calgary in the third round

RALEIGH, NC - Don Waddell, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League's Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the Hurricanes have acquired defenseman Dougie Hamilton, forward Micheal Ferland and the rights to defenseman Adam Fox from the Calgary Flames in exchange for defenseman Noah Hanifin and forward Elias Lindholm.

OUCH!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Calgary...  :lol:

What a trade by Carolina!!

Ohh wait, nobody from that trade plays for them anymore...  :lol:  :lol:

Adam Fox wanted to play at home in NY, nothing less. Both Carolina and Calgary new his abilities but couldn't satisfy what the kid wanted. It was NY or he wouldn't play, how do you make a trade under those circumstance..... nice player!

• Cheers 1

On 6/24/2021 at 6:21 PM, Fred65 said:

Rathbone is clearly the best D prospect on the roster. He isn't good he's a difference maker IMO. OJ is in tough to beat this guy out

I agree with all that. And by saying I think Jack is easily a better prospect than OJ doesn’t mean that OJ can’t necessarily contribute at some point. Some folk get so damned triggered when it comes to Juolevi. 

I cannot wait to see what Rathbone does with a full NHL Training Camp under his belt. Will be a PP staple from Day One.

And let’s just cool our jets a bit on the Rathbone = superstar stuff. 

• Like 1

On 6/24/2021 at 6:38 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

OJ can be a good reliable two way defenceman.  Maybe a top 4 guy.  Rathbone however has the potential to be a superstar similar to n

Maybe a tad bit of a lofty expectation.

Lets see how he handles a full season first. Nothing against Rathbone but until the Cabucks get some more toughness to round out the roster and guys keep taking runs at the smaller defensemen then I hope I am wrong but Rathbone will need to learn how to absorb hits a lot better than what I have seen from him so far and that could result in him taking a different route to the puck slowing his offense a bit.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

On 6/27/2021 at 8:35 AM, Locke Lamora said:

I agree with all that. And by saying I think Jack is easily a better prospect than OJ doesn’t mean that OJ can’t necessarily contribute at some point. Some folk get so damned triggered when it comes to Juolevi. 

I cannot wait to see what Rathbone does with a full NHL Training Camp under his belt. Will be a PP staple from Day One.

And let’s just cool our jets a bit on the Rathbone = superstar stuff. 

I just hope he will be happy in Canada? He is close to family in Boston area... 

On 6/27/2021 at 9:31 AM, GarthButcher5 said:

Maybe a tad bit of a lofty expectation.

Lets see how he handles a full season first. Nothing against Rathbone but until the Cabucks get some more toughness to round out the roster and guys keep taking runs at the smaller defensemen then I hope I am wrong but Rathbone will need to learn how to absorb hits a lot better than what I have seen from him so far and that could result in him taking a different route to the puck slowing his offense a bit.

I’m all for realistic expectations, but Rathbone is not a shrinking violet, he handed out some decency hits in Utica. He’s especially goof at moving up on wingers looking back to receive passes.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I’m all for realistic expectations, but Rathbone is not a shrinking violet, he handed out some decency hits in Utica. He’s especially goof at moving up on wingers looking back to receive passes.

I actually think his defensive upside is going to surprise some people. I think he’s going to be a good all around Dman, though leaning towards the offensive side of things. Watching some of his pivots while defending in his brief stint last year was very impressive.

Someone else mentioned it before and I agree….Jack’s gotta avoid getting crunched on the end boards as much as he did at the end of the season. His shoulders won’t last long if he keeps doing that.  But he will surely learn how big and fast NHL forecheckers are, if he hasn’t already. 

34 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

I actually think his defensive upside is going to surprise some people. I think he’s going to be a good all around Dman, though leaning towards the offensive side of things. Watching some of his pivots while defending in his brief stint last year was very impressive.

Someone else mentioned it before and I agree….Jack’s gotta avoid getting crunched on the end boards as much as he did at the end of the season. His shoulders won’t last long if he keeps doing that.  But he will surely learn how big and fast NHL forecheckers are, if he hasn’t already. 

Yup, IMO he's the replacement for Schmidt when his contract winds down in a few seasons. Until then he can keep developing on his ELC.

Edited by aGENT
  • Vintage 1

I like Rathbone but he’s smaller than Hughes. That is why I would Rather have  Joulevi be our 3rd pair d man with Myers. Smart player with good size could be a punishing pair. Hughes and Hamonic looked good together last year after Hamonic got settled in. Schmitt is a  2 pairing D-man who needs a good RHD partner. If we get one of those then we are good. Default would be to move Schmitt to the Right side and Rathbone goes to the second pair defence. That is a small deference core. 

• Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

8 hours ago, 2009cupchamps said:

I like Rathbone but he’s smaller than Hughes. That is why I would Rather have  Joulevi be our 3rd pair d man with Myers. Smart player with good size could be a punishing pair. Hughes and Hamonic looked good together last year after Hamonic got settled in. Schmitt is a  2 pairing D-man who needs a good RHD partner. If we get one of those then we are good. Default would be to move Schmitt to the Right side and Rathbone goes to the second pair defence. That is a small deference core. 

Rathbone is much more stocky then Hughes 5'10 -180 lbs

Rathbone 5'11, 190 lbs more physical ....

• Like 1

Lol both Rathbone and Hughes are tiny.  As skilled as they are, the team should still seek bigger bodied players for the top end of the depth chart (#1 D for the final 4 teams were, Hedman 6'6", Petry/ Weber (6'3" or 6'4"), Pietrangelo (6'2") and Pelech or Pulock (6'2" or 6'3") and all north of 200 lb).  I would be ecstatic if Rathbone did have a Fox-level ascension, since with him and Quinn they could probably outscore any defensive deficiencies.