The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petrus Palmu | RW/LW

Tomato Pajamas

10 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

He might be now but then he is 27 years old. He was a skinny kid when Vancouver drafted him.

9 hours ago, Lancaster said:

IIRC Schroeder scored some of the highest in upper body strength in his draft year.  

Didn’t he do the most reps on the bench at his combine? Pretty good indicator of upper body strength. 

6 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

Who honestly cares did any of this translate to NHL Success?

Schroeder matured early, that’s why he did so well when younger, and against younger guys.  Sure, he was strong at the combine, but that’s because he had already matured into his man body.  Other guys quickly passed him by.  It was a stupid, and (yet another) wasted pick by MG.  That’s why his strength and young success didn’t translate to the NHL.  He was at his peak performance athletically at 18/19.  

• Upvote 1

I trust benning so honestly I am hoping I am wrong :P 

But honestly 5'7? Guy quoted like 20-30 guys who are similar height over how many years? I'm not sure what that's supposed to argue. 

As long as Pettersson scores 30 and makes Boeser look like a gnome I am happy. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Schroeder matured early, that’s why he did so well when younger, and against younger guys.  Sure, he was strong at the combine, but that’s because he had already matured into his man body.  Other guys quickly passed him by.  It was a stupid, and (yet another) wasted pick by MG.  That’s why his strength and young success didn’t translate to the NHL.  He was at his peak performance athletically at 18/19.  

While in hindsight it turned out to be bad, there were a lot of crap picks made by teams even before the Canucks took Schroeder. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Gumbee said:

But honestly 5'7? Guy quoted like 20-30 guys who are similar height over how many years? I'm not sure what that's supposed to argue. 

A 6th round pick like Palmu only has a 9% chance to ever play 100 games in the NHL or a 1.9% chance to ever be a top 6 forward. I think height has much less to do with a prospect's success than their overall draft position. Both Palmu's height and draft position made him a long shot to begin with...hence him getting picked 181st overall.

Pettersson at 5th overall has a 100% chance to get those 100 NHL games and Boeser a 70% chance (getting picked at 23rd overall). 

Those three players are not comparable in any single way.

Anyways, stats aside, for the posters that know a lot about Palmu, do you feel he already has a better chance at playing in the NHL then his 6th round chances should be? I think the answer is "yes" but to what degree we will see in the next couple years.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Gumbee said:

21 hours ago, Gumbee said:

Palmu is too short

That was the extent of your post.  I gave a rebuttal.  I didn’t just post some “guys”, most are legends.  Maybe you should look some of them up. You might learn something. 

Edited by sonoman
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gumbee said:

There are plenty of smaller guys in the NHL. Height doesn't hinder like it used to. Heres just a few.

https://thehockeywriters.com/top-10-undersized-nhl-players/

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Ah, Jordan Schroeder. Remember the days...

Canucks pick Hodgson and Schroeder back to back in 2008 and 2009, receive universal praise for their choices, and have reasons to be excited for the future having stolen two great prospects that should both become core NHL players. Luongo at the podium, happy with the progress on his new extension, which both player and management will end feeling like they’ve secured an excellent deal. Gillis smiling and upbeat, having nearly locked up one of the best goalies on the planet longterm at an affordable rate, working on also getting the Sedins extended, and executing a plan to solidify the core of what should be a Cup winner in a just a few years, while also managing to secure solid young talent at the draft to ensure the team can remain competitive year in and year out for the long haul.

Those were the days. So much optimism. I mean, what could possibly go wrong? ;) 

:(

Things will be different this time, at least I hope so!

3 minutes ago, Odd. said:

:(

Things will be different this time, at least I hope so!

Sad thing is they didn’t have any high end picks in 2010,11 and 12 to back up the failed picks in 2008 and 09. If we had one or two first rounders that turned into good core pieces over that period, we would be a year or two ahead of where we are today. I sure hope our core of Horvat, Boeser, Demko, Pettersson and Hughes can right the ship or it’s gonna be a long half decade. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SergioMomesso said:

Sad thing is they didn’t have any high end picks in 2010,11 and 12 to back up the failed picks in 2008 and 09. If we had one or two first rounders that turned into good core pieces over that period, we would be a year or two ahead of where we are today. I sure hope our core of Horvat, Boeser, Demko, Pettersson and Hughes can right the ship or it’s gonna be a long half decade. 

...plus Juolevi, Dahlen, Gaudette, Virtanen, and Lind. :)

Edit: some would also add Woo in there but I would like to at least see the D+1 year!

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Kosmo Kramer said:

I am really interested to track Palmu in Utica this year.

I was too excited about Shroeder in the past, but Palmu seems different.

I don't believe that size is everything,

It's more about the skill and compete level and he seems to have it.

The fact that he not only survived but thrived in the Finnish men's league gives me a lot more hope that he will do really well in the AHL this year. He is one to watch, for sure!

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

The fact that he not only survived but thrived in the Finnish men's league gives me a lot more hope that he will do really well in the AHL this year. He is one to watch, for sure!

How does the Finnish league compare to the NCAA?  I recall Schroeder being called a wizard in college.