The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017-18 Utica Comets Thread

It's funny hiw much difference there is between the AHL and the NHL.  In Utica, Boucher looks like Brock, in the NHL even when he was playing on the top two lines, he looked nothing more than pedestrian.  But then the AHL makes Chaput look like Pete Mahovlich.  In Utica, Goldy looks great, fast, shifty, great passer, but the loss of time and space in the NHL has been a tough shift for him.  I think he looks really confident in Utica.  Motte has been a revelation in this series!  Looking forward to seeing Goldy, Dahlen, and Motte at camp next year.

15 hours ago, TGT68 said:

1.  Why Victoria with the ferry in between would make more sense.  

2.  The time point has gotten better with the western teams increasing and will continue to get better as we get more.  

I believe Utica is within 2 hours drive of 5 other AHL teams. Playing in the west means flying, which means connections out of Vancouver. The comparison is not even close. The ECHL could not operate successfully so I really doubt the AHL would either. I am quite happy to have Utica as the affiliate with the increased practice and gym time. 

16 hours ago, canuckleheads fan said:

It's funny much difference there is between the AHL and the NHL.  In Utica, Boucher looks like Brock, in the NHL even when he was playing on the top two lines, he looked nothing more than pedestrian.  But then the AHL makes Chaput look like Pete Mahovlich  In Utica, Goldy looks great, fast, shifty, great passer, but the loss of time and space in the NHL has been a tough shift for him.  I think he looks really confident in Utica.  Motte has been a revelation in this series!  Looking forward to seeing Goldy, Dahlen, and Motte at camp next year.

Yes, it is striking. Boucher, Goldy, and Chaput are stars in the AHL but struggle in the NHL.

But it is kind of inevitable. Reminds me of when I was in elementary school. They probably don't do this now, but I remember my Grade 1 class being divided into three groups. I forget the names, probably not rabbits, squirrels, and turtles, but you get the idea. The smartest kids would be in the rabbits, the middle group in the squirrels, etc. It made sense as each group would be taught material at a suitable pace.

Anyway, you could be the smartest squirrel and feel like a genius, but if you moved up to the rabbits it would be hard to keep up. (I speak with authority on this as that is what happened to me part-way through the year. I like to think that they underestimated me initially. But possibly I just learned how to pretend to be smarter than I actually was. That has certainly turned out to be a valuable skill in adult life. ::D

Anyway, it is kind like Boucher (or anyone else) moving between the AHL and NHL.

That said, there are some guys whose game is actually better suited to the NHL than to the AHL, or there might a niche they can fill in teh NHL. So Boucher is a "better" player than Archie at the AHL level in that he scores a lot more. But Archie is more valuable at the NHL level because of the niche he fills -- size, toughness, physical play, good defensive play, and the occasional "dirty goal" -- things Boucher does not do.

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I believe Utica is within 2 hours drive of 5 other AHL teams. Playing in the west means flying, which means connections out of Vancouver. The comparison is not even close. The ECHL could not operate successfully so I really doubt the AHL would either. I am quite happy to have Utica as the affiliate with the increased practice and gym time. 

Victoria has its own airport and does direct flights.  

the Echl team was successful in Victoria but was upgraded to a Whl team which is more successful at the gate.  

And playing in the West like the other western conference teams gives more access to management and players for call ups and visits.  

Not saying a change is imminent, just that this good option is there when the canucks want it.  

19 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

Victoria has its own airport and does direct flights.  

the Echl team was successful in Victoria but was upgraded to a Whl team which is more successful at the gate.  

And playing in the West like the other western conference teams gives more access to management and players for call ups and visits.  

Not saying a change is imminent, just that this good option is there when the canucks want it.  

Huge travel time and costs for western AHL teams.  Much easier to have a short bus ride and spend the free time training, which is the purpose of a farm team.  They will stay in Utica as long as Utica wants them.

Archived