The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017-18 Utica Comets Thread

34 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

You have to look at things through the eyes of a Comets fan to truly understand.  Let me first start out with a quote from Cull after the game last night.

“I took a moment when I came off the ice and listened to the crowd cheer for the boys,” said Cull. “It’s awesome for our fans, awesome for our team. We talked about coming home and getting some home cooking. They’re our sixth player.”

Comets fans have poured their heart and soul into this team and have embraced the Canucks prospects like they are their own.  But there is a sense of nervousness among many of the Comets fans and especially the vocal ones on HF Boards with this being the end of the fifth year of a six year agreement in Utica.  There is a feeling that Utica is the forgotten red-headed step child and that feeling is enhanced by the lack of Vancouver management attention to the Comets.  This is the first year that neither the Canucks GM or President failed to visit Utica a single time all season long.  In the first year Gillis stopped in Utica for a game when the Canucks were out east.  Then in years two through four Benning and or Linden always made a stop at some point during one of the Canucks eastern road trips.  Now we enter the playoffs and Linden was in Toronto for the first two games and it was assumed that he would be in Utica for the next two but there are no media reports of him making the trip.

Ryan Johnson has been in Utica for the past couple weeks but for the most part hasn't spent hardly any time here this season which is surprising since he is the GM of the team.  On the contrary Henning and Gillman were here constantly during those first two seasons.  

Yes Linden is saying all of the right things about Utica in news articles with the most recent example being the Ed Willes article in The Province but actions speak louder than words and we would like to see him once and a while and speak those words directly to the best fans in the AHL here in Utica.

The Comets fans on HF Boards are vocal about the apparent lack of interest from Vancouver's management in their AHL team but outside of one particular poster who really seems to dislike everything about the Vancouver Canucks I think the motivation behind the criticism is a fear of losing the team and the lack of anyone from Vancouver visiting our city drives that fear.  

I think you can take Linden at his word, I really doubt there are any plans to change where the AHL affiliate is. You guys are awesome for the team and I think Linden knows this is a great situation for everyone. There's no reason at all to make a change. 

Some thoughts on the lack of Vancouver management this season. Organizationally they have re-structured themselves. Johnsons role is more than just GM of Utica, he goes all over to check in with all of the Canucks prospects through the year to make sure they are keeping in check with their development. He has been KEY in this with all our young guys. This to me would take up a tonne of time and could explain his absence.

Additionally, you hear about how much Jim Benning is seen scouting various games around the continent. I feel like the "lack" of management in Utica these days is more props to the fact Utica and Esche have really made a strong environment for development and do not need to be micromanaged, they have proven themselves... It's one less thing you need to worry about if you're vancouver management. It frees you up to spend more time doing what you should, building a strong AHL and NHL team through drafting and development.

Utica has great fans, management, and coaching. The Canucks have shown that they want what is best for their prospects time and time again. Which to me points to them staying in Utica. Because it is absolutely what is best for their prospects. No question, no doubt. And I bet Vancouver management feels the same way.

Just my 2 cents...

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think you can take Linden at his word, I really doubt there are any plans to change where the AHL affiliate is. You guys are awesome for the team and I think Linden knows this is a great situation for everyone. There's no reason at all to make a change. 

Plus, could the players actually afford to live in the decent areas of Abbotsford?  Utica is likely a much better place to attract the experienced AHL guys (of which we need) to come.  As fans, we would like our AHL team closer, but the Canucks likely don’t.  The positives of having the team in Utica far out way the negatives.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Plus, could the players actually afford to live in the decent areas of Abbotsford?  Utica is likely a much better place to attract the experienced AHL guys (of which we need) to come.  As fans, we would like our AHL team closer, but the Canucks likely don’t.  The positives of having the team in Utica far out way the negatives.  

we need to ship in about 1,000 Utica fans for our home games in Vancouver to pump things up :P 

Selfishly I'd like to see our prospects more often but given how good Utica has been and could be for the next wave of prospects its best to leave it alone. I don't think Linden is BS'ing anyone. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

we need to ship in about 1,000 Utica fans for our home games in Vancouver to pump things up :P 

Selfishly I'd like to see our prospects more often but given how good Utica has been and could be for the next wave of prospects its best to leave it alone. I don't think Linden is BS'ing anyone. 

Don’t noisy fans in our rink get told to be quiet?  Was it @debluvscanucks that had her cowbell confiscated or something?  

Utica sounds like they get the idea of cheering loudly for your team.  

8 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Some thoughts on the lack of Vancouver management this season. Organizationally they have re-structured themselves. Johnsons role is more than just GM of Utica, he goes all over to check in with all of the Canucks prospects through the year to make sure they are keeping in check with their development. He has been KEY in this with all our young guys. This to me would take up a tonne of time and could explain his absence.

Additionally, you hear about how much Jim Benning is seen scouting various games around the continent. I feel like the "lack" of management in Utica these days is more props to the fact Utica and Esche have really made a strong environment for development and do not need to be micromanaged, they have proven themselves... It's one less thing you need to worry about if you're vancouver management. It frees you up to spend more time doing what you should, building a strong AHL and NHL team through drafting and development.

Utica has great fans, management, and coaching. The Canucks have shown that they want what is best for their prospects time and time again. Which to me points to them staying in Utica. Because it is absolutely what is best for their prospects. No question, no doubt. And I bet Vancouver management feels the same way.

Just my 2 cents...

I think that Ryan Johnson is a rising star in management.  He started out in player development in 2013 and became Director of Player Development in 2016.  Last year, he added GM of Utica to his duties so if he's away from Utica a lot, it's because of his other duties. 

He's a great interview and a really bright guy.  He really gets it.  I think the Canucks are lucky to have him.

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-juggle-scouting-and-development-departments

1 minute ago, Crabcakes said:

I think that Ryan Johnson is a rising star in management.  He started out in player development in 2013 and became Director of Player Development in 2016.  Last year, he added GM of Utica to his duties so if he's away from Utica a lot, it's because of his other duties. 

He's a great interview and a really bright guy.  He really gets it.  I think the Canucks are lucky to have him.

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-juggle-scouting-and-development-departments

Yeah, I think within a couple of years they're going to have to continue promoting him if they intend to keep him, likely into something like an AGM role.

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yeah, I think within a couple of years they're going to have to continue promoting him if they intend to keep him, likely into something like an AGM role.

Canucks AGM and let go of Weisbrod, year 2019-2020?

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I always thought the long term plan for the AHL was actually Victoria and moving the WHL team back to the valley.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Don’t noisy fans in our rink get told to be quiet?  Was it @debluvscanucks that had her cowbell confiscated or something?  

Utica sounds like they get the idea of cheering loudly for your team.  

Been "warned" to put my rinky tink cowbell away TWICE now.   But, it lives on because I ain't no quitter.

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think it was Linden who said that moving the team out West would take HALF their practice time away to travel. Top that with the press and fanatic Van fans who would hound the kids into who knows what. 

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I think it was Linden who said that moving the team out West would take HALF their practice time away to travel. Top that with the press and fanatic Van fans who would hound the kids into who knows what. 

1.  Why Victoria with the ferry in between would make more sense.  

2.  The time point has gotten better with the western teams increasing and will continue to get better as we get more.  

Utica has been great for development of our players, If It Ain't Broke Don't Fixit, The travel is better there for a east coast team. Call up travel is negligible it's more important it be a strong organization there which it is.

We'd be stupid to move them now, Go Utica!!

ps I would like to say more but rarely get a chance to see any games.

Archived