The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign G Anders Nilsson [2 year x $2.5M AAV]

Just now, Down by the River said:

Except Pavelec has zero upside.

We dont need upside its markys time to run as a #1 guy for the next year or two. If he cant then demko could be brought up and given some games.

Good deal for nilsson tho a backup who gets a hefty raise good work by his agent imo

I think this is a decent signing.  Nothing spectacular, but Nilsson should prove to keep our goaltending competitive at a far lower price than Miller.  Its the perfect terms as well.... Just enough time to wait for Demko to be surely NHL ready.

Just now, E. Lindros said:

We dont need upside its markys time to run as a #1 guy for the next year or two. If he cant then demko could be brought up and given some games.

Good deal for nilsson tho a backup who gets a hefty raise good work by his agent imo

We don't need upside? Markstrom isn't a guarantee and Demko is not ready. You have to have an actual backup goalie for your guy that has never proven himself. Might as well get a backup that has the potential to be more than just that.

This is basically a Markstrom clone in terms of ability and age.

I foresee a more even split of games.  Good for Markstrom not to have to move up to 55-60 games in a season suddenly and get to be more in the 45-50 range.

3 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

We don't need upside? Markstrom isn't a guarantee and Demko is not ready. You have to have an actual backup goalie for your guy that has never proven himself. Might as well get a backup that has the potential to be more than just that.

Nilsson is a proven nhl goalie? He doesnt have that much experience 

Look forward to see what he can do tho!

Just now, Stormtrooper Steve said:

Still not sold on our goalie situation. However, in saying that I don't mid this tandem with what was available. I think they will both work hard and keep each other in check. Overall decent signing.

You guys now have nearly 13 vertical feet of Swedish wall - geez, even Donald Trump would be envious.    

46 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

That's a great term, great cap hit

Solid signing yet again Benning.

The anti everything crowd is going to be hard pressed to do anything but mope at this point

Hey I'm part of that crowd. I gotta say, Jimbo has done well. 

As usual, premier free agents want to flock to Vancouver because of the city. Jimbo smartened up and stopped overpaying them this year. 

The chips are in the city's hand. You can't ask for the moon if you wana play in the single greatest city in North America. 

Archived