The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Which former Canuck(s), now retired, would you like to see in the organization?

xereau

Salo and Manny would be nice.  Maybe Sami can help Tanev up his velocity, and it's always helpful in a puck possession league to be good at draws.  Bo, Hank and Sutter are all solid but nothing wrong with continuously growing in this area.

For the smallish Euro wings in particular (Sven, Goldie, Dahlen when he comes up, probably Hutton too) I'd want Ehrhoff (or Rypien when he was around/ Dorsett) when he hangs them up to work with them in toughness since to his credit Christian's actually been in several fights in his career, and the smaller tough guys can help develop that side of the scorers so that when agitators take runs at them they could stand up for themselves (not saying they should be aggressors or agitators but just have that defensive ability in their arsenal).

I like having the old guys around but the way many have turned on Linden makes me fear this could tarnish the legacy of some of the greats. 

Even so, Lumme is indeed a good one to have in the fold.

Also, Kirk McLean, he seems to be around a lot but I'm not sure if he has a job with the team or maybe he is just a dedicated alumni. Captain Kirk could prove useful in the right role.

10 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I've gotta tell you....one guy who is so "heart and soul" invested (still) and has stuck around over the years is Jyrki Lumme.   He is available for any charity event and I recall once when we were in a suite he wandered in near the end of the game to chat with everyone.  He truly loves the game and it shows.  There isn't one bit of ego there, just a nice guy.  And he truly is deeply rooted in the community with so much to offer.  He even showed up for a fundraiser for Richmond minor hockey a few years ago.

He is such a humble, dedicated ex Canuck.  Would love to see him more involved.

No brainers when they're done?   Burr and Bieksa

Kinda unrelated but I used to go to school with his daughter and had a few cool experiences:

1. Our school has this really cool secretive retreat program where we go out to an island and spend a few days gathering and sharing our feelings and thoughts. One of the experiences was watching these videos filmed beforehand of our family and friends (that we knew nothing of) basically saying great things about us. Out of all the parents I think Jyrki and his wife probably filmed the longest and most heartfelt videos out of all 50 of us or so. I was too young to have watched him play but just hearing about him and seeing this kind of thing really made me appreciate the player he was for us and even moreso the person he was. 

2. I was at a party once with his daughter and being slightly intoxicated I literally ranted to her for 20 minutes how cool it was her dad was Jyrki Lumme. She just sat there quietly and awkwardly and laughed. That's all haha. 

I would love to see Bieksa and Hammer come back as coaches some day. They always came over as very knowledgable and intelligent. KB3 - Coach and Dan - Assistant.

I sometimes wonder if Kes wouldn't be a good coach for us too - he was always so fiery and passionate when he played for this team.

7 hours ago, Grape said:

Kinda unrelated but I used to go to school with his daughter and had a few cool experiences:

1. Our school has this really cool secretive retreat program where we go out to an island and spend a few days gathering and sharing our feelings and thoughts. One of the experiences was watching these videos filmed beforehand of our family and friends (that we knew nothing of) basically saying great things about us. Out of all the parents I think Jyrki and his wife probably filmed the longest and most heartfelt videos out of all 50 of us or so. I was too young to have watched him play but just hearing about him and seeing this kind of thing really made me appreciate the player he was for us and even moreso the person he was. 

2. I was at a party once with his daughter and being slightly intoxicated I literally ranted to her for 20 minutes how cool it was her dad was Jyrki Lumme. She just sat there quietly and awkwardly and laughed. That's all haha. 

Thanks for sharing!  Funny, when I chatted with him and asked what it was that made him decide to put down permanent roots here, he mentioned his kids and that they loved it here.  He is a gem and the more I learn, the more that is confirmed.

Archived