The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Rebuild Kicked Off With Acquiring Bo, & Was Completed at 2019 Draft!

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

The cream of the crop always rise to the top.  In this case, it applies to our young players that is struggling to overcome the vets' play by being better than they are at the moment.  Once they beat out the vets on this team, then they can beat other teams in the league as they still are using their own vets.  You would want that to happen by having the youth overcoming adversity by beating vets at their own game via the internal competition, not the other way around.  

We're paying thru the nose for a coupla' things...

- about 2006~2012 black hole of drafting(that even Stephen Hawking can't explain!)

- 40% of our current cap allotment spent on vets with the wheels of garden slugs

- 2 rulebooks in a dirty, rigged deck of a league

& when you get all tangoed-out, just tank on...

• Upvote 2

I think we still need 2 more blue line players an at least one should be a legitimate 1 a pmd .(this is not including Ollie J -as not sure as of this day where he will lot in top four pairing.

We also need 2 more legitimate offensive forwards .I suspect the number one center is still a grey area an very pressing need. A second top line scoring winger is also needed. ( while JB has drafted a suit of players this last draft we still need a top up here)

Edited by bobbyg43

The difference is next year we should have a number of young 20-ish guys(I call kids) who are learning, with the lumps, as opposed to a bunch of fading vets, who are (who're!) mostly overpaid.

What is this current set-up teaching our youth about accountability & earning prime mins? An advanced course in how NOT to play?!

Don't expect much next yr either, but at least the roster shouldn't look like a fr*ckin' lawn bowling lineup!

• Upvote 1

Actually, the tank is over now - and not because anything's been accomplished.  This summer, Benning finally realized that tanking doesn't actually work anymore (thanks to the stupid lottery rules).  So, he tanked all last year and only got the 5th overall pick (while far better teams ended up with the best picks).  He literally threw away an entire season. 

It's shocking that everyone here loves him so much.  The first few years, he thought we were a decent team and tried to win, even though our team was god-awful.  Then he threw away an entire season.  And, now, at least he's trying to win - but he's done too much damage - so we're bound for the worst spot imagineable:  not bad enough to get the good picks (absent of luck), but not good enough to make the playoffs.  We are in the middle of a lost-decade thanks to him.  And, I haven't even mentioned the fact that he made some abysmal choices when he did have those high picks (Virtanen, Juolevi).

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Actually, the tank is over now - and not because anything's been accomplished.  This summer, Benning finally realized that tanking doesn't actually work anymore (thanks to the stupid lottery rules).  So, he tanked all last year and only got the 5th overall pick (while far better teams ended up with the best picks).  He literally threw away an entire season. 

It's shocking that everyone here loves him so much.  The first few years, he thought we were a decent team and tried to win, even though our team was god-awful.  Then he threw away an entire season.  And, now, at least he's trying to win - but he's done too much damage - so we're bound for the worst spot imagineable:  not bad enough to get the good picks (absent of luck), but not good enough to make the playoffs.  We are in the middle of a lost-decade thanks to him.  And, I haven't even mentioned the fact that he made some abysmal choices when he did have those high picks (Virtanen, Juolevi).

Tanking is kind of a dumb word because it sounds like losing on purpose which our team has never done. We have just gone through some bad years. Believe it or not there are more teams in the NHL that are better than us. We lose and everybody says we’re tanking when really we just weren’t that good and couldn’t keep up offensively most nights. Tanking would be making moves like benching our better offensive players or playing the backup which we’ve never done. The Canucks have always rode the hot hands and tried to win they just couldn’t. When we finished in the bottom of the standings it’s not because Benning thought tanking was the obvious move it was because that’s how good the Canucks were that year.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Tanking is kind of a dumb word because it sounds like losing on purpose which our team has never done. We have just gone through some bad years. Believe it or not there are more teams in the NHL that are better than us. We lose and everybody says we’re tanking when really we just weren’t that good and couldn’t keep up offensively most nights. Tanking would be making moves like benching our better offensive players or playing the backup which we’ve never done. The Canucks have always rode the hot hands and tried to win they just couldn’t. When we finished in the bottom of the standings it’s not because Benning thought tanking was the obvious move it was because that’s how good the Canucks were that year.

This club will never start a year with a plan to tank. They did however show last year that they were willing to change their direction as it was clear that the playoffs were out of reach. For those of us who promote building through the draft , this is all we ask for. Dropping  down in the standings does not guarantee a pick but anytime you can select top five you hold a good chance of landing a quality player. Moving out older assets for picks is just good management. 

Like you said we are not a very good team yet and if you are in the bottom half of the standings it does not take much of a losing streak to slide down the ladder. 

We have zero depth on defense and right now we are missing our two best D men. We may be close to the bottom by the time Stecher and Tanev return. That's not tanking but I will take it! :rolleyes:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I'd rather to keep trying to win games and if we lose games, let it be rather than intentionally lose games and not winning lottery.    The Oilers are not doing well but if they win lottery, this will be most luckiest team in the history and NHL may have to change the rules again.  

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

I'd rather to keep trying to win games and if we lose games, let it be rather than intentionally lose games and not winning lottery.    The Oilers are not doing well but if they win lottery, this will be most luckiest team in the history and NHL may have to change the rules again.  

Part of management's job is to acquire the needed talent to make this club a winner. They have two choices. They can take advantage of opportunities to maximise their position at the draft , like they did last year. Or they can wait until the club is so bad that it is forced on to them.

I think we will see movement at the deadline. I bet you we will see them go into sell mode. Unless we are a playoff bound club.

Maybe it’s just me but trading Burrows and Hansen doesn’t say tanking to me. It’s just good business. You’re getting good value on older expiring vets that aren’t part of the teams future. In a year when you’re not making the playoffs you should be doing this every year. However after the trade deadline we still put out our best roster and played hard we just lost. 

On 2017-11-13 at 4:17 PM, flickyoursedin said:

Would be a great year for it. Could clean up at the deadline with guys like Gudbranson, Vanek, Dorsett, Burmistrov, Pouliot and maybe even Granlund and Del Zotto. I could see playoff teams all wanting those guys. Have a shot at Dahlin, Svechnikov, Boqvist and Merkley.

I would keep Pouliot, the guy is young and holding his own, would keep him over Hutton.  Keep Granlund, Guddy and Del Zotto.  Instead, I would lose Edler and the team may seriously consider buying out Eriksson or paying for someone to take his contract. Burmistov likely won’t get much, but meh.  Vanek, Dorsett and Gagne are other guys to trade.

With the twins retiring ( please don’t resign them JB!) this would put Vancouver in the driver seat with the FA pool. 

Next season,

Baer, Bo, Brock

Granlund, FA Goldy

Virtannen. Sutter, FA

Labate, Gaunce FA

Dahlen, Pettersson, Gaudette, Zack Mac, Lockwood and other forward prospects can take over any open FA spot if they make the team.  

This offseason could and should be huge for Vancouver, a great draft and a FA signing or two could be incredible. 

On defence

Del Zotto Tanev

Pouliot Stecher

Hutton Guddy 

OJ and McEnemy as our 7/8 guys.  Beiga May hang around and is very serviceable. 

Same goalie depth as this year with one of Nilsson and Markstrum being shipped out to make room for Demko if need be. 

Who knows where we end up on the draft list, but getting into the 1/2 spot would change the course of the franchise. 

We would

have a $&!# ton of cap space and that will come in very handy in the next few years. 

EmW

Now that things are starting to go south a little for the team, winning one out of four and having a difficult time stringing a couple wins together I wonder how fans will react if we end up picking top five again as originally predicted going into the season.  The Stealth Tank would certainly be still in full swing and a chance at one of the three guys at the top of 2018 would definitely be some consolation.

My biggest fear is we don't get fooled again into believing this club can compete earlier than we truly can, we go back hard into the UFA well and end up with one or two more anchors eating up our payroll for modest at best results.  

It's hard to look honestly at this roster and expect we are out of the woods, including our prospect pool.  Boeser is a revelation, Horvat is just fine too, but we also need a top pairing and an elite goaltender to go along with it minimumly, and at least one more star forward.   Don't think we are there yet, one or two more years of top five picks would be painful, but it's just the medicine we need to come out contending later.

• Upvote 1

I'll admit, this team has been better than I expected and it's going to be a tougher tank year, but this last stretch of games is giving me optimism that we can get the tank train going again.  The comeback vs the kings was demoralizing, but the vegas stinker helped make up for it.  Tanking does work because even if we don't win the lottery we still assure ourselves of a high pick.

Just look at last year when we lost, but still only dropped to 5th, which allowed us to take pettersson who is tracking to be the best swedish player in history! :P  It also locked us into a high 2nd round pick, which let us grab future superstar Kole Lind!  I'll still be hoping for at least another top 5 pick this year, rather than a futile playoffs push or a one and done 1st round knockout in the playoffs.  Arizona has last place locked up, but 2nd last isn't out of the question yet. A nice losing streak would be very nice.

Edited by FireGillis
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

Now that things are starting to go south a little for the team, winning one out of four and having a difficult time stringing a couple wins together I wonder how fans will react if we end up picking top five again as originally predicted going into the season.  The Stealth Tank would certainly be still in full swing and a chance at one of the three guys at the top of 2018 would definitely be some consolation.

My biggest fear is we don't get fooled again into believing this club can compete earlier than we truly can, we go back hard into the UFA well and end up with one or two more anchors eating up our payroll for modest at best results.  

It's hard to look honestly at this roster and expect we are out of the woods, including our prospect pool.  Boeser is a revelation, Horvat is just fine too, but we also need a top pairing and an elite goaltender to go along with it minimumly, and at least one more star forward.   Don't think we are there yet, one or two more years of top five picks would be painful, but it's just the medicine we need to come out contending later.

You've heard of this guy called Demko right? :huh:

18 hours ago, HomeBrew said:

You've heard of this guy called Demko right? :huh:

Of course.  I hope he will be the answer in net for us and but it's not a foregone conclusion.  We won't know for sure until he gets up here and has a big enough sample size.

Edited by IBatch