The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Rebuild Kicked Off With Acquiring Bo, & Was Completed at 2019 Draft!

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

3 minutes ago, canucksnihilist said:

Well... the oilers are on track to win the lottery again.   They need a top defense man so their golden lottery luck will get them dahlin...

God may be dead but Gary Bettman LIVES!  :(                                                                                                                                                        /s

Edited by Crabcakes
  • Like 1

On 11/28/2017 at 9:13 PM, WHL rocks said:

It will take them 3 years of development in the NHL to get real gud... They aren't going to come in and be bid difference makers right away. Very few players do that, OV Crosby McDavid Mathews etc. 

I think at least 2 of them will start in the AHL. It'll take some time yet but we are looking a lot better than we were a year ago. 

True, but in the meantime, Horvat, Boeser and Baertschi will be a force.  A second line after a fashion will emerge Eriksson Sutter Goldobin?  Hutton, Stecher, Pouliot and Tanev will be the top 4.

The whole team will get incrementally better but by Petterssons D+4 th year (his 2nd in the NHL), the Canucks will start getting good as you say.

On 11/29/2017 at 9:28 PM, Crabcakes said:

God may be dead but Gary Bettman LIVES!  :(                                                                                                                                                        /s

haha!

On 11/29/2017 at 9:42 PM, Crabcakes said:

True, but in the meantime, Horvat, Boeser and Baertschi will be a force.  A second line after a fashion will emerge Eriksson Sutter Goldobin?  Hutton, Stecher, Pouliot and Tanev will be the top 4.

The whole team will get incrementally better but by Petterssons D+4 th year (his 2nd in the NHL), the Canucks will start getting good as you say.

Team will be good - I think everyone can see it.  As long as all the prospects keep developing and none are flops.  So far so good, but lets wait before planning the parade route...

What this team really needs in order to actually plan a parade route would be to actually win the draft lottery and get a(nother) star.  Dahlin would be sweet - potenitally the best defenseman in the league 5 years from now.  And the Russian guy (whatever his name is) would be a win too..   By "Win" I mean get a bona-fide franchise player - we may get one anyways by drafting better in the later picks... but a jump start is exactly what we need.    Anyways, sorry to flog the dead horse...

Edited by canucksnihilist

I see the name of this article STEALTH TANK,if any team in this league has that down it's the EDMONTON OILERS.

This is becoming a joke, in that The Oilers over the last few years have gotten several 1 st overall picks and lets say our team the Canucks

have NEVER EVER had a single one in 47 going on 48 years.

The league has had to change the rules of drafting because of said Oilers,BUT it has hurt other teams that need to rebuild and with a lotto system it is very very

difficult to do so.

If in say 10 years you have 3 ,1st overall picks you as an organization DO NOT GET ANOTHER ,PERIOD!  Until the next decade.

I DREAM OF A DAY WHEN WE FINALLY GET A FIRST OVERALL PICK FOR OUR BELOVED CANUCKS.

NOT BECAUSE WE DESERVE IT,

BUT BECAUSE IT'S THE FAIR WAY TO BUILD AN ENVIRONMENT OF TRUST THROUGH OUT THE LEAGUE.

But then we are talking about Americans being involved so that is why it's a mess,being able to come into the league now like Las Vegas and be really good right off the bat, no suffering for years for your team to be good.

But in a few years it will be another team we will have to subsidize because they are failing.Look at Carolina Hurricanes and yet those basterds have won a STANLEY CUP.

The Canucks will win a cup one day soon,IF THE LEAGUE WAS ANYTHING CLOSE TO FAIR.

• Cheers 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/3/2017 at 9:36 AM, Hutton Wink said:

If you're speaking of the current regime, it's important to realize that the overall plan is still in place and has never changed.  It has been said many times, that it was not ever a one-dimensional plan that suddenly changed, but rather an overall plan with various identifiable but coherent phases:

1. Start removal/attritioning out of bad contracts and players not wanted moving forward (eg. Garrison).  Bring in some veteran transitional players (eg. Dorsett, Bonino, Sbisa) and some younger ones with upside (Vey, Baertschi, Granlund, Pedan), using draft picks if necessary, to fill holes.

2. Draft and develop new core, continue to move out/attrition contracts and older veterans.  Sign short-term stop-gaps as necessary.

3. Once new core players start arriving, move out remainder of old core as they are replaced.

4. As the new core matures, return to the playoffs and contention.

Again -- the plan never changed, just went through stages because it is a transition from old to new, and yes that means a rebuild (the terms are interchangeable).  We're now finishing stage 2 and entering stage 3.  The Sedins were a unique situation that was not present in the likes of the Oiler and Leaf teams, but once they are gone (as early as the end of this season) the transition will be complete, and development of the new core into a contending team will cue the last stage of the rebuild, stage 4.

Not bad for only 3 years, especially considering where they started from.

I don't think all those words mean what you think they mean.

1. Start removal/attritioning out of bad contracts:  Ericksson, Gudbranson, Gagner, Sutter, Sbisa, Del Zero
2: Draft and develop new core, continue to move out/attrition contracts and older veterans. Edler, Sedins still here and of course we traded all those picks for the likes of Vey, Clendening (there go a couple of seconds right there)
3: Once new core players start arriving, move out remainder of old core  So we removed the young players, McCann, Forsling instead

4: The new core I think we are still waiting for the new core.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I don't think all those words mean what you think they mean.

1. Start removal/attritioning out of bad contracts:  Ericksson, Gudbranson, Gagner, Sutter, Sbisa, Del Zero
2: Draft and develop new core, continue to move out/attrition contracts and older veterans. Edler, Sedins still here and of course we traded all those picks for the likes of Vey, Clendening (there go a couple of seconds right there)
3: Once new core players start arriving, move out remainder of old core  So we removed the young players, McCann, Forsling instead

4: The new core I think we are still waiting for the new core.

I would re-sign Gudbranson. Still young at 25 years old. He'll be productive for at least another 5 years minimum. I see us contending within 3-5 years and he'll be foundational during the playoff years. 

As for Sutter, I can see Gaunce taking his role in the future. 

• Upvote 1

On 02/12/2017 at 5:15 PM, DADDYROCK said:

I see the name of this article STEALTH TANK,if any team in this league has that down it's the EDMONTON OILERS.

This is becoming a joke, in that The Oilers over the last few years have gotten several 1 st overall picks and lets say our team the Canucks

have NEVER EVER had a single one in 47 going on 48 years.

The league has had to change the rules of drafting because of said Oilers,BUT it has hurt other teams that need to rebuild and with a lotto system it is very very

difficult to do so.

If in say 10 years you have 3 ,1st overall picks you as an organization DO NOT GET ANOTHER ,PERIOD!  Until the next decade.

I DREAM OF A DAY WHEN WE FINALLY GET A FIRST OVERALL PICK FOR OUR BELOVED CANUCKS.

NOT BECAUSE WE DESERVE IT,

BUT BECAUSE IT'S THE FAIR WAY TO BUILD AN ENVIRONMENT OF TRUST THROUGH OUT THE LEAGUE.

But then we are talking about Americans being involved so that is why it's a mess,being able to come into the league now like Las Vegas and be really good right off the bat, no suffering for years for your team to be good.

But in a few years it will be another team we will have to subsidize because they are failing.Look at Carolina Hurricanes and yet those basterds have won a STANLEY CUP.

The Canucks will win a cup one day soon,IF THE LEAGUE WAS ANYTHING CLOSE TO FAIR.

Change that to top 3 picks, and I’m onboard as well. 

Good call. 

3 hours ago, granpappy said:

if we can pick top 3, we will slide a long way up the 'best prospects' organizations

Not really, since we're already near the top of the NHL's organizational rankings. We have elite prospects at every position (Pettersson, Demko, Juolevi) who, along with Gaudette, are all top 50 prospects. We also boast depth that this organization hasn't seen in forever, with Lind, Gadjovich, Dipietro, etc. all developing nicely. Outside of maybe Philly, I can't think of too many teams I'd rank above the Canucks. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, nowhereman said:

Not really, since we're already near the top of the NHL's organizational rankings. We have elite prospects at every position (Pettersson, Demko, Juolevi) who, along with Gaudette, are all top 50 prospects. We also boast depth that this organization hasn't seen in forever, with Lind, Gadjovich, Dipietro, etc. all developing nicely. Outside of maybe Philly, I can't think of too many teams I'd rank above the Canucks. 

Imagine that.

5 or so crappy seasons and bam, a prospect pool to be proud of. 

Better give Benning a trophy for that!

Im just being facetious here, but in all seriousness, JB has brought in some character. Now he needs some toughness to insulate the skill with.