The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Andrey Pedan, 4th-round pick to Penguins for Derrick Pouliot

56 minutes ago, mll said:

Guess they lose a day of NHL salary.

Hahaha that was a joke! Maybe, even though it was factual? With the utmost respect meant, I've never seen you joke - you're possibly the most informed poster about the intricacies of the league, and write in a manner consistent with that, which is amazing. But that post had humour - mind blown. Cheers to you, mll!

Disclaimer: I am fully sober in every way imaginable. It's been a slow day at work.

11 minutes ago, mll said:

The draft status to the CHL doesn't matter.  It's the draft status at the NHL level that counts and Juolevi was drafted out of the CHL.  

They had Rodin as RFA for some time and he was UFA.  Those adjustments are manual and they might have just missed it or their wording is wrong.  

here's the explanation, ironically thanks to some Flames history involving Baer:https://www.matchsticksandgasoline.com/2011/10/1/2459647/a-quick-post-on-the-50-standard-player-contract-limit

So back in 2011, Sven wasn't AHL eligible (like OJ) and could be sent back to his junior team and not count on the Flames 50 man roster. So the process in our case it must have been sending OJ back to London, who then let him go to Finland.

Here's Sven's case from the link:

So now you're left with the three last guys on the list-Maxwell Reinhart, Turner Elson and Sven Baertechi. Reinhart and Elson are technically allowed to play in the AHL this year, while SVEN is not actually AHL eligible. So, unless one of thoe guys plays 11 games at the AHL level, their contracts won't start thanks to a special clause in the CBA called the "slide rule". Basically, it enables the players to be sent back to Major Junior without penalty as long as they've not played 11 games; basically they go from being on the SPC List to the Reserve List (a 40 player roster list that mostly includes ELC's that haven't started and unsigned draft picks). This also means their contracts don't start.

The Canucks Defensive depth got much better for the next few years.

Hutton

Stecher

Juolevi

Pouliot

Tryamkin

Subban

Brisebois

Gunnarson

Pouliot makes this list much better.  They won't all be top 4 but Pedan never stood a chance.  A 4th round pick was well worth this.

Wow Jim made this player go away . He was one of his early tenure acquisition ‘s at 6’5” an imposing mean tough skating hitting D who had a tendency to run around a lot in ice an get lost .

Not sure what kind of reclaimation project 6’ Pouliott will turn out . 

If recall he Pedan was picked by Jim for a second pick? I really like the abrasive toughness he possesses and thought he had made great strides in minors.

Hopefully the new project can make it .

11 minutes ago, pluralsight said:

What are you basing this on? The 4 teams that have goons in their lineup? 

I'm basing that off the fact that we have one D who has any kid of grit/toughness (Guddy) and one 5'11 190 pound forward (DD) who can fight but no one is scared of. 

Hopefully Archibald gets to play here...

I am not referring to goons...ironic that the Stanely Cup Champs traded for Reaves AND Pedan?? 

34 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

True but is it worth giving up a 4th round pick? 

There's still a chance a 4th round pick can turn out to be a gem (Johnny Gaudreau) where as a 6th or 7th defense man is something you can get in Free Agency. 

Is this you Jeff Paterson? 4th round picks have a 23% chance of playing at least 100 games in the NHL at best. A pretty good gamble for an 8th overall pick, 5 years ago. 

3 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

The Canucks Defensive depth got much better for the next few years.

Hutton

Stecher

Juolevi

Pouliot

Tryamkin

Subban

Brisebois

Gunnarson

Pouliot makes this list much better.  They won't all be top 4 but Pedan never stood a chance.  A 4th round pick was well worth this.

*Chatfield, Holm, Gudbranson another couple drafts...

35 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

True but is it worth giving up a 4th round pick? 

There's still a chance a 4th round pick can turn out to be a gem (Johnny Gaudreau) where as a 6th or 7th defense man is something you can get in Free Agency. 

There's a chance that you could get hit by a meteorite while crossing the street, too. So do you spend your whole life hiding in the basement because of that minuscule chance? Probabilities don't mean much to you, do they?

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess we'll find out soon enough. But do elc's that slide count on the 50 man roster?

Depends from where the player was drafted and where he's playing.

A player who did not play 10 NHL games and is back in juniors doesn't count - Brisebois, Juolevi last year.

Fiala and Nylander also had their contract slide as teenagers but they were playing in the AHL because drafted out of the SHL.  I don't know if they counted towards the 50 contract limit - it's the same question as with Juolevi.  Teenagers in a pro-league that is not the NHL - does it count or not.  

Just now, RRypien37 said:

I'm basing that off the fact that we have one D who has any kid of grit/toughness (Guddy) and one 5'11 190 pound forward (DD) who can fight but no one is scared of. 

Hopefully Archibald gets to play here...

Right. Name 5 other teams that have more than 2-3 guys that exclusively provide grit/toughness in their lineup. It's 2017, the game is too fast and too skilled to make room for guys who simply don't provide anything other than hitting and fighting. Most teams have maybe 2-3 spots for these role players, including the Canucks. 

1 minute ago, mll said:

Depends from where the player was drafted and where he's playing.

A player who did not play 10 NHL games and is back in juniors doesn't count - Brisebois, Juolevi last year.

Fiala and Nylander also had their contract slide as teenagers but they were playing in the AHL because drafted out of the SHL.  I don't know if they counted towards the 50 contract limit - it's the same question as with Juolevi.  Teenagers in a pro-league that is not the NHL - does it count or not.  

found the answer - see a few posts above. OJ goes from the 50 man roster to the 40 man reserve list since he hasn't played yet.

42 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

And Colorado grabbed Nemeth today to fill said need. It's a trade we once again find ourselves adding. Don't get me wrong, I like it, but to trade for Pouliout when Pokka was on waivers yesterday is a headscratcher. 

That’s the way Jim rolls 

a beat to a different drummer for sure

13 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

The biggest discussion point out of all this should be is Pouliot an upgrade over Hutton?

If so there is a good chance imo that Hutton would be the one to fetch the most in a trade for Vancouver.

you should contribute more like this.  Hutton would have value, but I think Tanev would be the guy to move

Archived