The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Andrey Pedan, 4th-round pick to Penguins for Derrick Pouliot

Just now, steviewonder20 said:

Yes, I understand that,but I thought someone posted that he needed to clear waivers from Pittsburgh but that doesn’t make sense since the waiver deadline has passed. 

In what world would a player have to clear waivers before being traded?  It has nothing to do with any kind of deadline...

2 minutes ago, Incursio said:

I'm on board with this. Besides his size, I don't really understand why so many people liked Pedan. It would have been nice to keep the fourth, but it's not like we can't get it back at the TDL; Vanek should be worth at least that. 

Some people were even more angry when we didn't re-sign Ryan Stanton :lol:

7 minutes ago, CeeBee51 said:

Guess it'snot only CDC that turns on a player.

Every fanbase seems to need its whipping-boy.

From the scouting clip above, it sounds like he's a shy, low-key kind of guy, and maybe not uber-competitive.  Often times that can change when kids mature or in this case have a change of environment from maybe one in which they weren't comfortable, and hopefully in particular when they see what they need to do.  If not then he'll end up a career minor-leaguer.

9 minutes ago, Crimson said:

In what world would a player have to clear waivers before being traded?  It has nothing to do with any kind of deadline...

JB said that Pittsburgh wanted to wait to see if Pedan cleared waivers before finalizing the deal. So this world.

1 hour ago, RRypien37 said:

I'm basing that off the fact that we have one D who has any kid of grit/toughness (Guddy) and one 5'11 190 pound forward (DD) who can fight but no one is scared of. 

Hopefully Archibald gets to play here...

I am not referring to goons...ironic that the Stanely Cup Champs traded for Reaves AND Pedan?? 

Ironic they won back to back cups without Pedan and reaves or any player of that type right?

12 minutes ago, Crimson said:

As soon as Pedan cleared, Pits could immediately send him to their AHL team after a trade.  The don't have to re-waive him.  That give Pit's a full year to work with him..

Same thing happened with Kassian and edmonton,  MTL waived and traded him,  Oilers didn't want him to start in the NHL, they wanted to work with him a bit in the AHL first. 

16 minutes ago, Crimson said:

Two hours earlier Vintage responded to CanuckinEdmonton that Pouliot required waivers. My comment was about whether he had to go through waivers from Pittsburgh; obviously, I now see he was referring to him requiring waivers if WE sent him down which we are not doing.

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

As soon as Pedan cleared, Pits could immediately send him to their AHL team after a trade.  The don't have to re-waive him.  That give Pit's a full year to work with him..

Same thing happened with Kassian and edmonton,  MTL waived and traded him,  Oilers didn't want him to start in the NHL, they wanted to work with him a bit in the AHL first. 

...and we didn't want DP to go on waivers because Colorado was probably waiting for him. 

Good move, it could be a really big one a couple of years from now. Pedan was never going to be a top 4 guy who put up any points, or be particularly mobile. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

...and we didn't want DP to go on waivers because Colorado was probably waiting for him. 

Exactly

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

Good move, it could be a really big one a couple of years from now. Pedan was never going to be a top 4 guy who put up any points, or be particularly mobile. 

I do think it has potential to be a good move.  If green can build him up again,  one of Hutton, Del zotto and Pouliot could be moved this year, likely for a lot more than a 4th round pick.

Love this trade!  I like Pedan and was hoping to see him get called up this year, he is a great team guy and drops the mitts to show the other team that we don't take no guff.  Pouliot has that pedigree and with his past history with Green you never know right....  it worked with Granny and Baertschi, so 3rd time lucky!

3 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Wow, didn't see that one coming!

Interesting you say that.  Most of us didn't either.  And yet with all the D around (including Wiercioch), it sort of makes sense to move one.  But to get another D back for Pedan?  We still have too many D.  

Maybe puck-moving-D are hard enough to find that it's worth have 3 or 4 in the system, hoping 1 or 2 work out.  We have Subban, Brisebois, Juolevi and now Pouliot.  To go along with Stecher and Hutton.  Imagine if either of Dahlin or Merkley end up here too? lol. Nashville 2.0.

3 minutes ago, gameburn2 said:

Interesting you say that.  Most of us didn't either.  And yet with all the D around (including Wiercioch), it sort of makes sense to move one.  But to get another D back for Pedan?  We still have too many D.  

Maybe puck-moving-D are hard enough to find that it's worth have 3 or 4 in the system, hoping 1 or 2 work out.  We have Subban, Brisebois, Juolevi and now Pouliot.  To go along with Stecher and Hutton.  Imagine if either of Dahlin or Merkley end up here too? lol. Nashville 2.0.

I am ok with Dahlin, Merkley or Hughes end up here, just fine with that

Wow..just woke up to this headline. Agree with you guys that endorse the deal. Also liked Pedan, but the league appears to be increasingly moving toward skaters/skill, less emphasis on nastiness. From Pitt's pov, they've got plenty of the former, thus add Pedan for some more of the latter.

Wasn't Benning a jr star D-man(was it in Portland?)? He also can prob relate to this kid's stalled trajectory. He, TL & Green(asst coaches) can maybe figure this kid out. Less pressure for DP coming to a team that's intent on getting younger.

It might work out beautifully, like when that Schultz kid went from Edmonchuk to Pitt.. I see positive comparables in this.

2 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

And Colorado grabbed Nemeth today to fill said need. It's a trade we once again find ourselves adding. Don't get me wrong, I like it, but to trade for Pouliout when Pokka was on waivers yesterday is a headscratcher. 

I wonder whether Pouliot's high draft position was a factor (see: Gudbranson, e.g.,)  Must have been on some kind of Canuck mgt radar, because young D that may or may not work out seem common enough.

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Wow..just woke up to this headline. Agree with you guys that endorse the deal. Also liked Pedan, but the league appears to be increasingly moving toward skaters/skill, less emphasis on nastiness. From Pitt's pov, they've got plenty of the former, thus add Pedan for some more of the latter.

Wasn't Benning a jr star D-man(was it in Portland?)? He also can prob relate to this kid's stalled trajectory. He, TL & Green(asst coaches) can maybe figure this kid out. Less pressure for DP coming to a team that's intent on getting younger.

It might work out beautifully, like when that Schultz kid went from Edmonchuk to Pitt.. I see positive comparables in this.

we swapped projects, but our new project might be a puck moving D. Interesting times.... 

2 minutes ago, gameburn2 said:

Brisbois is more of your traditional 2 way traditional D.  Yes he has a big shot. And skates very well for his size.  Passes well.

It is a bit different than watching Stecher bust moves, and break down players attacking him while he has the puck. A deke, a move, a push forward and he is creating scoring chances. 

Archived