The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Edmonton Oilers vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, MikeBossy said:

This makes the victory that much sweeter :)

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/kailer-yamamoto-out-of-edmonton-oilers-line-up-against-the-hapless-vancouver-canucks

Game Day 2, Oilers vs Canucks

This in on the Edmonton Oilers line-up tonight, Jack Michaels of the Oilers broadcast radio team tweeting the following: “Lineup notes… Yamamoto won’t play tonight. Pakarinen in on 4th line with Khaira/Letestu. Talbot starts, same D-pairings….Distinct possibility Kassian stays on line with Lucic/RNH tonight at VAN.”

And from Bob Stauffer: “Oilers lines:
Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
Lucic-RNH-Kassian/Yamamoto
Caggiula-Strome-Jokinen
Khaira-Letestu-Pakarinen”

Vancouver will try to get a checking line led by Brandon Sutter on against the McDavid monster line. That would leave Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Milan Lucic and Zack Kassian most likely to match up against Bo Horvat.

“I like Kass there now & Iiro hasn’t played in 10 days,” Todd McLellan told the media in regards to the line-up change.

The moves make sense. Vancouver should be amped up for its home opener, so who better to withstand their intensity than Kassian, a fierce veteran who will take on a more prominent role on RNH’s wing? For his part, Yamamoto looked a bit overwhelmed against Calgary.

screen-shot-2017-10-07-at-1-32-05-pm.png

Hard to feel any pity for the Canucks

The Vancouver Canucks are coming off a season where they finished 29th overall in the National Hockey League, scoring 178 goals and giving up 241. 

Edmonton Oilers fans know this kind of team. It’s the kind of team the Oilers were from 2009 to 2015, a wretched squad full of promise, question marks and holes. They have a new coach in Travis Green and a bunch of young forwards who may or may not be ready for NHL prime time, including Brock Boeser, who led the team in scoring in pre-season but won’t be playing tonight, Jake Virtanen and Nikolay Goldobin.

Of course, the Canucks also have the dynamic young Bo Horvat, promising Markus Granlund and Troy Stetcher, strong two-way winger Loui Eriksson, checking Brandon Sutter, tough Erik Gudbranson, veteran d-men Alexander Edler, Ben Hutton and Chris Tanev and the aging Brothers Sedins. They’ve also added in a handful of attackers on their second, third, fourth or fifth NHL lives, players who have yet to stick in one place including Sam Gagner, Sven Baertschi, Alexander Burmistrov and Michael Del Zotto. In net is the massive Jacob Markstrom, a huge man made all the huger by his gargantuan goalie equipment. 

Ed Willes of the Vancouver Province had this to say about the Canucks young veteran core: “They’re no longer a kid finding his way in the world’s toughest league but a full-blown NHLer judged by the game’s highest standard.

“Hutton has now arrived at that point in his career. As it happens, so has Bo Horvat, Sven Baertschi, Markus Granlund, Troy Stecher, Erik Gudbranson and even the goaltending tandem of Jacob Markstrom and Anders Nilsson. All are 25 and under — OK the goalies are both 27 but that’s under 25 in real years — and all have demonstrated some promise to date. But promise is no longer good enough for the Canucks. Any hope they have of extricating themselves from the pit in which they dug themselves rests on those players taking a collective step in the next phase of their careers.”

It will be a good year for the Canucks if they hit 70 points, a great year if they hit 80.

As an Oilers fan who watched this same movie up close for many years, I’d like to have a heart for Canucks fans, and what they’re likely to go through this year, but the memories of repeated dirty play from Ryan Kesler, Alex Burrows, Maxim Lapierre, Kevin Bieksa are too fresh for me feel empathy.

Despite the brilliance of the Sedin brothers, those top Canucks teams of the recent past had so many cheap shot artists they were a hard group to like, let alone admire. I should add that I say this as someone who enjoys when an Oilers player gets tough or dirty now and then. I like it when Zack Kassian goes maximum predator, but I don’t expect other fans from other teams to like it.

For someone who covers the Oilers he sure has a short memory - Ken Linesman, Glenn Anderson, Marty McSorley I could go on. Hence why I will never cheer for the Coilers and their fan base. 

Baertschi is on his 3rd 4th or 5th NHL life?  Markstrom too?

K....

Hard to feel pity?  Where the Oilers were for 2009 through 2015?  did he miss 2007 and 2008?

Isn't this the same rag that said cheer for Canada's team the bruins in 2011?

Dirty play?  Sorry does he not recall Kassians errant stick shattering Gagners jaw.  I mean he should.  It was like 2 years ago.  How about Lucic and his antics?

This is the kind of piss poor writer that will be whining when the country doesn't get behind his team if they ever make the western finals or SCF the  "but the oilers were so bad what a great under dog story come on guys support us" type of writer

Screw him, go out and kick a hole in them tonight Byfuglien, and the Jets.

One frustration I have with poor coaches like Willie is they try to shoehorn all players into a single vanilla style instead of setting a gameplan based upon their players individual strengths and weaknesses and the clearly laying out the roles and expectations 

thats how how a true “team” plays and players ar not completely confused under Willie’s “system”

i dee so much potential in what Green brings to the table....also see that in Gallant 

7 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Really?

Tell that to all our servicemen who are 6 months and more away from home and their families. Tell it to a great many players and coaches who spend big parts of the season away from their kids and wives. How many wives have kids in foreign countries who stay in foreign countries and have all the difficulties of coping with a lot more than women in Canada do.

It's pro sport and Tryamkin chose to come here and earn big bucks. It's a woman's job to support her husband in such circumstances, she knew she was marrying a pro hockey player who had his heart set on playing in the NHL (or did he?)

The guy was away from home for a eastern tours which was balanced by equally long stints in Vancouver - what is the big deal. Did he have it any better travelling in Russia?

k5Dzhsv.png

As for all the other bollocks about being sat in the last quarter. He's not the f---g coach, he carries no responsibility for a result other than to put in a good performance as part of the team. Do we hear Biega complaining about how he is utilised. 

Frankly the more I here from this guy the more he seems like a big spoiled kid who expected to come over here and run things his way. It is disrespectful to my team and Canadian hockey.

What is almost as annoying is how easily, yet again, some of our fans would rather cr-p all over this club, it's coaches, owners and management by drinking down every disgruntled players whining complaints like koolaid than see a situation for what it is. Yet another messed up self entitled immature player trying to justify his shortcomings as a man and a pro hockey player.

I'm afraid this is also how I feel about him. If he had been a 5'4 midget nobody would have cried foul, but because of the potential a lot went overboard on his behalf. 

If he went home because he was homesick or because of his wife, I can accept that, (after spending near enough 30 years at sea I find it hard to, but I can accept it), however people slagging of everyone from the coach and the management to the hotdog salesmen, for him leaving is a joke. This is a team sport... And his complaining about ice time and when is exactly like a spoilt child. Only thing I think WD did really wrong with Tryamkin was making it public, that he wanted him to be more agressive...

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If that's what is then he should just say so. His constant excuses for leaving vary from ice time, to the city reeks, are just that excuses. As long as he's happy that's great. 

I just wouldn't hold my breath him ever playing in a Canucks jersey again. 

Honestly, I'd rather see a kid like Troy Ring from the Trail Smoke Eaters get a PTO, you know he'd bust his butt at training camp, wouldn't show up out of shape. And would probably more than happy to play in Utica. 

Bang... +10 so bloody true. 

2 hours ago, tas said:

tryamkin's wife is, if memory serves, a doctor. she couldn't work here because she doesn't speak english. is it not also a husband's job to support his wife's career goals?

Does she make what Tryamkin makes? No.

He was already a player here long before he got married so let's keep it real.

My cousin is a lawyer and has married a Hong Kong citizen so in order to support him she is presently learning Mandarin so that she can practice law where her husband works. 

31 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

completely confused under Willie’s “system”

I think people should learn what those systems are - before pretending they can analyze and one-up them.

I've asked folks in the past to flush out these systems they claim to know and have yet to see an effort to learna and actually elaborate on what is being talked about. 

It's always reductive, oversimplified nonsense like 'the trap' or 'dump and chase' or 'defend the 0-0 tie'.

This one was beaten to death the past few years.  It would be nice if people would leave it alone - or add something of substance for a change.

52 minutes ago, stawns said:

I loved Try, but I agree he's coming as pretty entitled, expecting to be gifted ice time.  That said, I think a lot of that comes from sloppy translations of interviews.  Ultimately, he's a Russian kid who wanted to return to his home country to play and I believe thats the reason, as opposed to using the KHL as leverage.

Would you feel the same way about a Canadian kid returning to Canada after playing in the KHL?

Strawns, he already had a taste of it for 11? games, if he didn't like it why not say so after the season ended.

Europe including the KHL is full of Canadian boys who dig out a living, often away from their families (because they can't afford to bring their families over) and in foreign language speaking countries. 

Interesting article seeing things from the other side.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/mar/01/envelopes-of-cash-and-5000-mile-road-trips-americans-in-khl-face-uncertainty

18 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Does she make what Tryamkin makes? No.

He was already a player here long before he got married so let's keep it real.

My cousin is a lawyer and has married a Hong Kong citizen so in order to support him she is presently learning Mandarin so that she can practice law where her husband works. 

it doesn't matter if she makes what nikita makes. in russia they can both happily pursue their careers. in north america only one can. seems like a no brainer to go play at home, make similar money, make your wife happy, and raise your kids close to family.

8 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I think people should learn what those systems are - before pretending they can analyze and one-up them.

I've asked folks in the past to flush out these systems they claim to know and have yet to see an effort to learna and actually elaborate on what is being talked about. 

It's always reductive, oversimplified nonsense like 'the trap' or 'dump and chase' or 'defend the 0-0 tie'.

This one was beaten to death the past few years.  It would be nice if people would leave it alone - or add something of substance for a change.

Enlighten us with your knowledge then, it is obvious that you must know with the amount of criticism and distain you troll with. 

What is dump and chase?

1 minute ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Enlighten us with your knowledge then, it is obvious that you must know with the amount of criticism and distain you troll with. 

What is dump and chase?

derp.  I've outlined AV's systems on numerous occasions - and do not pretend to one-up him.

You on the other hand, have no idea what you're talking about, and pretend to know better.

The onus is on you minus hunter.  The ironing of you suggesting someone else is a troll.

4 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

What is dump and chase?

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

derp.

Okay maybe that was too hard, how about defending a 0-0 tie? What difference is the number, lets try just a tie? In the dying minutes knowing that a point is guaranteed? After all 80 losses in OT equal 80 points, almost a playoff berth. Absurb the 80 losses thing, how about 15 OT losses getting the guaranteed 15 points? That might make a difference.

Just now, TheGuardian_ said:

Okay maybe that was too hard, how about defending a 0-0 tie? What difference is the number, lets try just a tie? In the dying minutes knowing that a point is guaranteed? After all 80 losses in OT equal 80 points, almost a playoff berth. Absurb the 80 losses thing, how about 15 OT losses getting the guaranteed 15 points? That might make a difference.

100% gobbledygook.

To repeat - you have no idea what you're talking about.

I'll spell this out very simply for you.

'Dump and chase' isn't a 'system'.  It's one, situational strategy for gaining a zone entry.

There are forechecking systems, neutral zone systems, defensive zone systems, penalty killing systems, dzone breakout systems, zone entry systems, powerplay systems, etc.

Talk through your hat all you want, but all you're adding is the usual substance-free noise.

"Despite the brilliance of the Sedin brothers, those top Canucks teams of the recent past had so many cheap shot artists  (Ryan Kesler, Alex Burrows, Maxim Lapierre, Kevin Bieksa)  they were a hard group to like, let alone admire. I should add that I say this as someone who enjoys when an Oilers player gets tough or dirty now and then. I like it when Zack Kassian goes maximum predator, but I don’t expect other fans from other teams to like it.

Talk about preferential analysis. None of our local press is this homer. 

ps He didn't say that when Kass hurt their players when he was here.

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/kailer-yamamoto-out-of-edmonton-oilers-line-up-against-the-hapless-vancouver-canucks

12 minutes ago, oldnews said:

100% gobbledygook.

To repeat - you have no idea what you're talking about.

I'll spell this out very simply for you.

'Dump and chase' isn't a 'system'.  It's one, situational strategy for gaining a zone entry.

There are forechecking systems, neutral zone systems, defensive zone systems, penalty killing systems, dzone breakout systems, zone entry systems, powerplay systems, etc.

Talk through your hat all you want, but all you're adding is the usual substance-free noise.

D&C, when the entire team is doing it regardless of situation then it is a defensive system followed with either the left side lock (do you know why it is called left side lock) or a trap. These are used when the opponent has superior skill levels, so the team goes into a 1-2-2 - neutral zone, a 2-1-2, much more aggressive "lock" system or 2-3 and 1-1-1-2. The goal is to keep the game close as long as possible and to defend a lead.

15 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

What?

Look - the Sedins - the principle Canucks forwards through the entire AV tenure here - were among the best in the NHL at gaining controlled zone entries - in a class with guys like Datsyuk, Crosby - elite passers, elite playmakers.   Furthermore what they were not - was fast, nor particularly elite forecheckers.  Dump and chase is an absurd description of the kind of hockey  this team was playing.

They very rarely resorted to 'dump and chase' - in fact they were so predictably controlled entry players that when they actually resorted to a dump and chase, it was more likely to succeed, by virtue of the changeup, and depending who their winger was, perhaps an effective puck retrieval linemate.

Every line is different.  'Dump and chase' as a description of that team is utter nonsense - and refers only to a micro aspect of the game in any event.

Dump and chase is effective about a third of the time.  The Canucks were an elite puck possession team through AV's tenure - they did not achieve that by throwing the puck away and hoping to retrieve it 1/3 of the time.

That Canucks team was among the most talented, skilled in the league - zero need to resort to 'defending a 0-0' tie. 

Sorry, but you have literally no idea what you're talking about, nor what AV's systems were.

Anyhow, unless you show a whiff of interest in having a reasonable discussion or informing yourself in some way, this one has about run its course.

23 hours ago, oldnews said:

weak.  plus/minus alone is worthless out of context.

Complaining that he took one penalty last night is obsessing on a micro scale.

erm, Markstrom let in a bad/soft goal = not really the story.

like I said - every coach he's played under at the NHL level has used him in big minutes - as has the Swedish National team right to the present day. 

I guess your assessment however is better than all of them.

Well I guess when the trade rumors come up again half way through the season I know I won't be surprised.

49 minutes ago, tas said:

it doesn't matter if she makes what nikita makes. in russia they can both happily pursue their careers. in north america only one can. seems like a no brainer to go play at home, make similar money, make your wife happy, and raise your kids close to family.

She is hopefully going to be a mom, which is likely to put her doctoring on hold, even in Russia.

The bolded part leaves me incredulous and either speaks to you leading a sheltered life or reading too many true romance novels in your spare time. :lol:

If I read any more of these lame excuses I'm going to crack a rib laughing.

17 hours ago, Pete M said:

For them to keep it up, the coach needs to use the depth wisely. This might mean sitting guys like the Sedins, Dorsett and Edler and playing others like Boeser, Pouliout, Virtanen in their place to give them rest in order to keep it up.

Definitely agree as long as the Sedins aren't playing top line minutes keep them rested more and allow the young legs to take more of the time. I thought Virtanen looked good he had a lot of jump in his game, not sure what the coach is thinking but guessing Virt and Boes are going to sub in and out for each other depending on the opposition teams size and physically. But like you said as long as the coach uses the depth wisely that could help benefit them for the long run.

Archived