The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Edmonton Oilers vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

10 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

She is hopefully going to be a mom, which is likely to put her doctoring on hold, even in Russia.

The bolded part leaves me incredulous and either speaks to you leading a sheltered life or reading too many true romance novels in your spare time. :lol:

If I read any more of these lame excuses I'm going to crack a rib laughing.

Please do...

...so ...we win a game...make that 2 straight against the Oilers....and there are squabbles going on about....? semantics?....a player we are better off forgetting (at least for 3 years)....?

We should be riding the Green train with hope and expectations of better times...one game and one preseason may not be enough to  convince most people around here that the times have changed....but I am most of the way to thinking that.

Just limiting the Sedins ice time and really rolling 4 lines ...along with that high pressure "get on them quick" backcheck has things looking much better...as soon as they get Brock into the lineup and if Jake keeps doing what he is doing ( I am sure he will ) ....that is a Totally different team from last year's.

We look like cup contenders out there right now....let alone playoff contenders....and if we get a Sedin or Vanek or Gagner, etc. injured ...we will have quality replacements available in Rodin, Godobin, LaBate , MacEwen and Archie....we are not as susceptible to a few injuries killing the team.

....I can't imagine what it would be like around here if we actually sucked for a decade like the Oilers did....

4 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

...so ...we win a game...make that 2 straight against the Oilers....and there are squabbles going on about....? semantics?....a player we are better off forgetting (at least for 3 years)....?

We should be riding the Green train with hope and expectations of better times...one game and one preseason may not be enough to  convince most people around here that the times have changed....but I am most of the way to thinking that.

Just limiting the Sedins ice time and really rolling 4 lines ...along with that high pressure "get on them quick" backcheck has things looking much better...as soon as they get Brock into the lineup and if Jake keeps doing what he is doing ( I am sure he will ) ....that is a Totally different team from last year's.

We look like cup contenders out there right now....let alone playoff contenders....and if we get a Sedin or Vanek or Gagner, etc. injured ...we will have quality replacements available in Rodin, Godobin, LaBate , MacEwen and Archie....we are not as susceptible to a few injuries killing the team.

....I can't imagine what it would be like around here if we actually sucked for a decade like the Oilers did....

Have you watched the other 29 teams a full game too? 

Lots of "contenders"

81 games to go. 

6 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

....sure...sure......only 81 more wins to a perfect season....

Did you base your 'contender' comments on your having watched a lot of other teams, or not? 

Ive seen quite a few games so far and lots of teams have alsolooked great so far. Lots. 

11 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Did you base your contender comments on your having watched a lot of other teams, or not? 

Ive seen quite a few games so far and lots of teams have alsolooked great so far. Lots. 

...until we play those teams it really isn't possible to have and opinion based on fact...so watching the other teams isn't really relevant to the one fact we did see...

That was the McD scoring a hat trick in his first game and the Oilers looking like the cup contenders they are supposed to be and THEN looking like LVK was expected to look like for the first period against us and we did more then just "hang on" to beat them...Granny had a breakaway, Horvat just missed on his Hattie ...a few times and Sutter could have had another...Eriksson...Vanek...Gagner and others all had quality chances.

Also the first Oilers goal should have been saved and the penalty we took just before it should not have been called....

The D. did not look confused...like they did under WD...there are soooo many reasons for optimism right now.

Just now, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

...until we play those teams it really isn't possible to have and opinion based on fact...so watching the other teams isn't really relevant to the one fact we did see...

That was the McD scoring a hat trick in his first game and the Oilers looking like the cup contenders they are supposed to be and THEN looking like LVK was expected to look like for the first period against us and we did more then just "hang on" to beat them...Granny had a breakaway, Horvat just missed on his Hattie ...a few times and Sutter could have had another...Eriksson...Vanek...Gagner and others all had quality chances.

The D. did not look confused...like they did under WD...there are soooo many reasons for optimism right now.

Contenders it is then. 

Understood. 

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

It's actually rather amusing, RDF.

The masses were going haywire, that JB wouldn't utter the word "rebuild"..guy was too busy renovating the whole house(room by room) to sit around & blab about it! Sure hope it plays out precisely this way..'dem easterners are gonna grind their teeth into the dentists's chair!  :^)

5 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Listen in as defenceman Michael Del Zotto rocks the mic during his Canucks debut against the Edmonton Oilers at Rogers Arena.

Quickly becoming one of my favourite players. Just 2 and half months in and he's done a lot of community work for the organization. Very well spoken too. Teammates also love him too, he brings a lot of personality. There was a reason Philly fans were sad when he left, he was a fan favourite and im sure it won't take long b4 he becomes one here too. 

4 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Strawns, he already had a taste of it for 11? games, if he didn't like it why not say so after the season ended.

Europe including the KHL is full of Canadian boys who dig out a living, often away from their families (because they can't afford to bring their families over) and in foreign language speaking countries. 

Interesting article seeing things from the other side.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/mar/01/envelopes-of-cash-and-5000-mile-road-trips-americans-in-khl-face-uncertainty

And many get homesick and jump on opportunities to play back in NA.  Should they be chastised for it?  I do agree that he's not exactly coming off very well.

5 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Does she make what Tryamkin makes? No.

He was already a player here long before he got married so let's keep it real.

My cousin is a lawyer and has married a Hong Kong citizen so in order to support him she is presently learning Mandarin so that she can practice law where her husband works. 

I hated when he left. He was probably one of my top three players on the team. It was a kick in the nuts when he left. But... didn't he fullfill his contract obligations last season? IIRC, he was only signed up until the end of last season. He was free to do as he pleased.

When it comes to personal decisions on what he is going to do with his life, you should leave that up to him. When you start offering suggestions and judgments on how he lives his life, or, how his wife should or shouldn't follow her carrier path, that likely took her the better part of a decade to achieve... then you've gone overboard. Its not really any of your business.  As for his professionalism as a pro-hockey player... what is it that you think you know that he doesn't about that? It wasn't for him for whatever reason he deemed appropriate. People have different priorities. He's following his.

Granted I was only able to catch the third period but something I noticed was that in our end when there was a shot that bounced onto a defender's stick or a broken up pass our players played with a lot more poise and control rather than just chipping it up and hoping it gets past the blue line (there was a bit of this too). This type of calm confidence is not something I've seen from our d in a couple of years.

1 hour ago, McIlhargey the Lesser said:

Granted I was only able to catch the third period but something I noticed was that in our end when there was a shot that bounced onto a defender's stick or a broken up pass our players played with a lot more poise and control rather than just chipping it up and hoping it gets past the blue line (there was a bit of this too). This type of calm confidence is not something I've seen from our d in a couple of years.

Absolutely and, consequently, the puck bounced their way a lot more often

On 10/8/2017 at 0:19 PM, thad said:

Refresh my memory.. How much did we overpay Bo? Lol

By the end of this year, Horvat will be recognized as the biggest bargain contract steal in the league.  B)

And in a couple more years, the Canucks will re-negotiate to give him more cash.

5 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Listen in as defenceman Michael Del Zotto rocks the mic during his Canucks debut against the Edmonton Oilers at Rogers Arena.

Loved his game and think he's going to be an important cog in the rise of this team

Archived