The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[poll/discussion] Quick Poll - how much credit do you give Sutter for Dorsett's revival?

JM_

Quick Poll - how much credit do you give Sutter for Dorsett's revival?  

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Don't really like the choices there. How 'bout Dorsett had surgery, feels great and is playing like a man on fire, proving to everyone that he can still play in this league. I don't recall him ever being this impactful. Makes me wonder how long he's been playing with pain before his surgery.  

I remember hearing that he was playing with groin and hernia problems the past few seasons. Apparently, he has sorted out all his injuries with his extended time off and we're seeing a healthy DD15.

More like how much has Dorset play improved sutters. 

Dorsets the first guy in on the forecheck and he always back defensively. 

Dorsett making his own luck with his hard play to give credit to sutter is almost an insult to what dorsett has been doing.

he came back this season to prove to everyone and most importantly HIMSELF he can still play his game. 

Sutters just along for the ride....for as long as it lasts. 

3 hours ago, Emmetts said:

Story plz. Unaware

Oh, you've never heard the legend of Sir Sutter.. A knight so brave, with such testicular fortitude, he was willing to block shots with his face? No?

Well it's an epic tale, and I just don't have the energy to scribe it in its entirety, but to cut it short-

The handmaiden, who was actually a Princess, requested a bronze casting of Sutter's manhood after several acts of immense bravery had been storied across her lands. Being the brave and kind knight he is, Sutter submitted to the fair maiden's request.

The "Princess" fell in love with brave Sutts and thus had the bronze cast plated with gold, which in her opinion, did not do justice to Sir Sutter of Massive Balls so she had him drawn as she plated his manhood with gold leaf by her naked hands. A wizard then cast a spell to bind the leaf to balls, a protection spell.

(The epic includes stories of trolls, witches, a few giants, a dwarf, dragons and a real life dragon slayer, who is still in the bretheren.. It's pretty epic)

4 hours ago, luckylager said:

Was just about to mention how Jimmy's selling Granlund a bit short.

Sutter AND Granny have been shutting it down nicely out there. Dorsett has been the perfect support player for those two and is capitalizing on his chances. They've been an effective shut down line to say the least.

I do wish Sutter would play to his size though, but with Dorsett always eager to play the body I can't really complain too much.

Sutter was very good against Ovie last night. His positioning and stick work was freakin deadly. 

no not at all. That was going to be my next poll. Killjoy. (i kid)

4 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Sutter may not be dishing out the hits, but he is not easy to push off the puck, and the minutes he eats up playing keep away are extremely valuable.

As well, as you said, his defensive positioning is stellar. He's not flashy or in the highlight reels, but his game is rock solid. Gagner, on the other hand, is a ghost.

bingo. I think whats really interesting is how defensive play can go really under-appreciated (not by you, you rock on this topic btw). That line is fantastic right now though, its a mini-line of everything - great d, face-offs, some grit, some snipeyness, its been a lot of fun. 

3 hours ago, brownky said:

Look who the low  forechecker is on that line of Granny / Sutter / Dorsett...

It's almost always DD. The other two being so responsible leave him free to chug down the ice and launch himself into other players, strip pucks and generally be a nuisance to the other team - and get points as a result.

It's a very good way to do it; DD does what he does absolutely best, and the other two are key components of that not only in helping him do it, but the reverse is true as well - they aren't expected to shoulder the heavy physical load as much, and thus can focus more on the shutdown aspects of their game. Sutter is not a 'great' hockey player in any sense, but he's consistent and steady. And when you're looking to shut down the Ovechkins, the Mcdavids etc... that's what you want. Those guys feed of excitement and loose play, where their skills and speed can overtake a good form. So if every time they go near a puck or the zone, it's going to result in getting hit and having no space, it gets them frustrated and off their game. And we win games like that.

I really like how you framed this up. 

4 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Sutter is underrated.   He plays big minutes and those are responsible minutes.   He isn't flashy so for some reason people don't see the value the guy brings.    Good player and will be a nice piece of the Canucks for a few more years as they work on integrating the new players/system.

exactly. This can be the shutdown line next year as well as Jim brings in maybe two more rookies. 

5 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Good point. Including that totally unnecessary penalty for skating up to that dunce cap Smith-Pelly after he crashed the net.

I know eh, Sam Gagner - enforcer. Think he might be trying to force some Dorsett mojo. It was his lazy stick penalty that bugged me. Just didn't want to try to catch up.

Sutters first 12 games in '15 were amazing. I think he's kinda feeding off and probably into Dorsetts fire. Having a semi-elite grinder 3C like Sutter is doing a lot for Dors. Make no joke, Sutter knows the game and thinks it well. Hits mitts are nothing special but he has good sense and a good shot. Sutter may be overpaid, but not by as much as the nancies here suggest.

Jimmy bringing a fair point.

But uh, Dors is playing with the heart of a lion. A term that gets thrown around waay too much.

For me the real question here is, has 15 become the new 14?

Right at this moment it kind of reminds me of when Burrows took his game to the next level.

It's like Dorsett has become the gritty pest we so desperately need that's potting in a few goals... 

Archived