The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks call up Anton Rodin from Utica

Adarsh Sant

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has recalled forward Anton Rodin from the Utica Comets.

Rodin, 26, has appeared in three games for the Comets this season recording two assists (0-2-2). In 2016.17, he appeared in three games for Vancouver recording one assist, and three games for Utica also collecting one assist. Rodin missed most of the 2016.17 season due to injury.  

Rodin played for Brynas IF Gavle of the Swedish Hockey League from 2013-16 and in 2015.16 won the Gold Helmet as the league's Most Valuable Player with 16 goals and 37 points in 33 games.  

A native of Stockholm, Sweden, Rodin was selected by Vancouver in the second round, 53rd overall, at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft

I believe Megna is more about managing and maximizing their LTIR space than anything else.

Regardless, he's never going to light up the scoreboard, but he's a serviceable 4th liner if needed. He's not as bad as everyone likes to make it sound, and at 675k per season, is incredibly cheap, reliable coverage.

2 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Goldobin must be livid

Probably.  Goldobin has been good with the Comets and has reason to think he's earned a callup.

Otoh, the callup makes some sense.

From the Comets point of view, they're losing a vet.  Since their vets can't all play because of AHL development rules, it doesn't hurt the Comets much.  Goldobin or Boucher getting called up would hurt the Comets far more.

From the Canucks point of view, Rodin's situation isn't as bad as it looks.  He was a late cut in camp (later than Goldobin iirc) but then sat a couple of games waiting for a work visa in the U.S.A.  Then he appeared in one game and pulled a hamstring so sat again.  His first real action was this weekend and he got 2 assists in 2 games.

So while Goldobin has been impressive, the callup of Rodin may help the Canucks about as much and won't hurt the Comets. 

All that being said, I'd have been tempted to call Goldobin up.

1 minute ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Great! I doubt he plays tonight though. Certainly a more offensive option than Megna, and granted the Boeser slot would be on one of the Burmi/Horvat lines, could be a great fit for Rodin. 

I thought it might be Boucher or Goldobin, but I'm guessing they'll just let those two tear up the A.

Yeah, particularly if it's short term.  Just keep them playing regularly.

I believe the Canucks want Megna's speed. I'm not sure why they're calling up Rodin though, to sit in the press box? Or does Megna play against DAL and then Rodin plays the next one (NJ)? I'm guessing Boeser will be back against PIT on Saturday.  

If I am Goldobin I am understandably upset.

But if I am Rodin I am thrilled knowing I've not been playing much and would come out hungry

But, here's the important thing.  If I am Benning I am looking at serviceable options.  I am looking at who is potentially not going to be here next year and thinking of ways to get value out of them.

Burmistrov

Rodin

Vanek

Dorsett

And of course our endless options of trade bait on the blue line.

Rodin coming up makes the most sense because he needs to play, Goldobin needs to keep learning and playing that 200 foot game and we need to highlight potential trade pieces

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

If I am Goldobin I am understandably upset.

But if I am Rodin I am thrilled knowing I've not been playing much and would come out hungry

But, here's the important thing.  If I am Benning I am looking at serviceable options.  I am looking at who is potentially not going to be here next year and thinking of ways to get value out of them.

Burmistrov

Rodin

Vanek

Dorsett

And of course our endless options of trade bait on the blue line.

Rodin coming up makes the most sense because he needs to play, Goldobin needs to keep learning and playing that 200 foot game and we need to highlight potential trade pieces

Both Rodin and Goldobin could be used as trade bait.

Archived