The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks call up Anton Rodin from Utica

Adarsh Sant

14 minutes ago, apollo said:

Damn... seeing Luca's name on there just made me sad. Wish we still had him :(

dont worry about Luca, he's going to be able to retire at 30 to a villa on Corsica. But he was a good player for us. 

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

dont worry about Luca, he's going to be able to retire at 30 to a villa on Corsica. But he was a good player for us. 

Luca is tremendously passionate about the game and I could see him playing until 60... he's that good. :P

1 hour ago, tyhee said:

Probably.  Goldobin has been good with the Comets and has reason to think he's earned a callup.

Otoh, the callup makes some sense.

From the Comets point of view, they're losing a vet.  Since their vets can't all play because of AHL development rules, it doesn't hurt the Comets much.  Goldobin or Boucher getting called up would hurt the Comets far more.

From the Canucks point of view, Rodin's situation isn't as bad as it looks.  He was a late cut in camp (later than Goldobin iirc) but then sat a couple of games waiting for a work visa in the U.S.A.  Then he appeared in one game and pulled a hamstring so sat again.  His first real action was this weekend and he got 2 assists in 2 games.

So while Goldobin has been impressive, the callup of Rodin may help the Canucks about as much and won't hurt the Comets. 

All that being said, I'd have been tempted to call Goldobin up.

I agree completely with you.  I stated Goldobin won't like the call-up, but for my part i'd rather leave him down anyway because he wouldn't see much icetime anyways.  The only Goldy could see some time would be one or multiple injuries to guys like Baerstchi, Vanek, Gagner.

Hopefully if Goldobin continues his current production through 25-30 games, the Canucks won't have much of a choice to call him up after Christmas.  January/February is usually when our line-up gets depleted, so I expect to see him around that time, which is a good development curves for him I believe.  Hopefully he can translate his AHL numbers to the NHL.

4 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Have you seen Corsica?

No clue what it was... I just googled it... sure it's nice but seems like a boring place to live in. I'd love to visit for a week though and check out it though. Seems so small and boring after a week... 

Based on his interviews and what not, I think it's more likely he retires in California.

As for Rodin... hope he scores some goals. 

the canucks have a few veteran type players on 1 way contracts in utica

i think those players will get call ups before players on 2 way contracts . unless such a player totally stands out after 25 or more games

2 way players cost the team extra money, .. 1 way contracts do not increase on call up

the canucks have invested heavily in veteran player depth and i understand why they would use that depth

and not spend extra money on other younger players at this point in the schedule

19 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

I agree completely with you.  I stated Goldobin won't like the call-up, but for my part i'd rather leave him down anyway because he wouldn't see much icetime anyways.  The only Goldy could see some time would be one or multiple injuries to guys like Baerstchi, Vanek, Gagner.

Hopefully if Goldobin continues his current production through 25-30 games, the Canucks won't have much of a choice to call him up after Christmas.  January/February is usually when our line-up gets depleted, so I expect to see him around that time, which is a good development curves for him I believe.  Hopefully he can translate his AHL numbers to the NHL.

Exactly, Goldy replaces scorers. He is doing great, he's only 22 and he is improving dramatically from last year.

1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

Goldobin must be livid

He has no reason to be.

Rodin plays a far more polished game, and was the MVP of the SHL. He was signed to potentially be a regular with the Canucks.

Goldobin  can wait for his opportunity. If he really wants to be an NHLer he'll have to be patient.

1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

Goldobin must be livid

Why?   Rodin has simply played better as was very evident this past weekend.   While Boucher and Goldobin played well in the offensive zone, their play without the puck and in the Dzone is still not at NHL level whilst Rodin was flying all over the rink in all zones and was clearly a more polished player.   Goldobin is not without eyes and a brain and will understand what he has to work on - if not concentrating on his own areas to improve and learning from those who get promoted in front of him, he would be a player that no organization would want as he would have no growth potential.

If Goldobin is the professional that I would think he is (as most guys are that get that far in professional hockey), it will only serve to stoke the fire even further to pursue those areas where he still needs to improve.

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Sounds like Boeser is worse off than day to day.

???  That is what day-to-day means, you may have to miss a game or three.   Right?   That fact that he isn't on the IR is what should be looked at to evaluate his status.   Sounds like a bone bruise in the foot - having had a few myself I can say it is all about pain tolerance and swelling - if both can be managed, no problem to go but either can keep you out for a little bit.  Good thing is they typically heal quickly enough.

Great stuff, hopefully he does get into some games.  Gaunce is likely still ahead of him, if not just because of waivers.

If the forwards remain healthy, there will certainly be some tough decisions for management to make in the coming weeks.  That being said, more like First World problems this year compared to Third World in the past, so it's hard to complain.

Just now, mll said:

Green just confirmed that Boeser won't play tonight but that he could play Wednesday.  He for sure will be back this weekend.

Evidently a gentleman's agreement between Aquiini and Gaglardi -- don't want Brock lighting them up when they're trying to get their new Garibaldi partnership going.

Archived