The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver - Arizona (Discussion)

KKnight

Sooo with us playing well right now, our draft range continues to look unclear. 

So for discussion sake, lets say our Canucks make the playoffs and end up with the 16-18th overall pick. 

Now the way Arizona is going, wow we thought Colorado was bad last year.

Lets say they get number 1 and Dahlin goes to them. Does Ekman-Larsson become available? 

We NEED a number 1 dman on the back end, that can make our PP better, Has some bite to his game and is versatile. 

OEL is 27 next year (fits our window) with one year left on his deal and they probably wont want that much financial obligation after the next season. We will be in a much better financial position at the end of this season. 

Arizona: Hutton

16-18th overall pick

Prospects

Vancouver: OEL

OEL-Tanev

Del Zotto- Guddy

Pouliot (Juolevi)  - Stecher

Biega

Eventually the Russian Giant (Tryamkin) will come back and thats one hell of an under rated d core. 

Somehow weve found Edler a new home in the process ;)

Yeahhh, Even if we make the playoffs this year and maybe make some noise in it... 1 year does not equal guaranteed success... therefore OEL for 1 year is not worth giving up the probable asking price... Of which on top of Hutton + 1rst 2018 would likely include Juolevi, Lind or one of our other appealing prospects.

4 hours ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

Chaka hangs up the phone laughing.

You think if OEL was on the market (which I don’t believe that he is) that the best they can do is trading with Vancouver for Hutton, a mid 1st, and a prospect? You’re dreaming. 

prospects my friend. Ekman-Larsson is on pace for just under 40 points. Look at Arizonas trading history as well, not exactly great. 

28 minutes ago, KKnight said:

prospects my friend. Ekman-Larsson is on pace for just under 40 points. Look at Arizonas trading history as well, not exactly great. 

Just under 40 points on a god-awful coyotes team isnt that horrible. He is one of the most underrated dmen in the league and is gonna get a huge haul if traded

7 hours ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

You think if OEL was on the market (which I don’t believe that he is) that the best they can do is trading with Vancouver for Hutton, a mid 1st, and a prospect? You’re dreaming. 

I don't want OEL in the first place.  I feel, if he's so great, why does his team do so poorly?  Maybe he's one of those overrated guys?

3 minutes ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

So I guess by that logic, Bo Horvat is pretty overrated as well, right? :rolleyes:

Bo is young and developing.  OEL is a fully developed, supposedly, number one dman.  Erik Karlsson carries his team.  Does OEL do that?  I like the player, but don't feel he's worth the value given up in this trade.  He's one of those overrated guys, who are more valued outside his city than in it.  

37 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bo is young and developing.  OEL is a fully developed, supposedly, number one dman.  Erik Karlsson carries his team.  Does OEL do that?  I like the player, but don't feel he's worth the value given up in this trade.  He's one of those overrated guys, who are more valued outside his city than in it.  

OEL is a top ten (arguably top 5) d-man in the NHL. You can't compare the way Karlsson "carries" his team with what OEL does because Karlsson has a very strong supporting cast around him that allows him to make plays. OEL doesn't have that luxury. 

Hutton, 2018 1st, and a prospect will NOT be enough to pry OEL from the Coyotes unless that prospect is a blue chip like Juo, Dahlen, Gaudette, or Pettersson. And at that price, our team won't want him because you're giving up some fantastic future players for a player that is at the top-end of our window. Simply put, he's too old for our team considering the value he'd take to acquire.

But don't kid yourself Alf, OEL is one of the best d-man in the NHL and our team would be lucky to have him. He'd be our #1 guy without question.

1 minute ago, Fateless said:

OEL is a top ten (arguably top 5) d-man in the NHL. You can't compare the way Karlsson "carries" his team with what OEL does because Karlsson has a very strong supporting cast around him that allows him to make plays. OEL doesn't have that luxury. 

Hutton, 2018 1st, and a prospect will NOT be enough to pry OEL from the Coyotes unless that prospect is a blue chip like Juo, Dahlen, Gaudette, or Pettersson. And at that price, our team won't want him because you're giving up some fantastic future players for a player that is at the top-end of our window. Simply put, he's too old for our team considering the value he'd take to acquire.

But don't kid yourself Alf, OEL is one of the best d-man in the NHL and our team would be lucky to have him. He'd be our #1 guy without question.

Our 2018 first will likely be top five.  That, by itself, is WAY TOO MUCH for OEL.  

If Ottawa, or another equally foolish team, wishes to over pay for OEL, that's fine by me, but I don't want my team doing that.

Throw money at him next season and hope the Swedish factor favours us. Edler's contact is up next season right? Sedins will be making far less or gone all together, although for the sake of wooing OEL I'd prefer they are still here playing well. We are young, trending in the right direction, solid management, good city. OEL and Tanev makes me drool just thinking about it. Doubt it happens, but gotta dream big.

8 hours ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

I would like to believe that GMs hang up the phone on the Canucks, laughing. 

50 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Our 2018 first will likely be top five.  That, by itself, is WAY TOO MUCH for OEL.  

If Ottawa, or another equally foolish team, wishes to over pay for OEL, that's fine by me, but I don't want my team doing that.

Wow. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

The trade proposed assumes we have a mid round pick, so I imagine if we do end up picking top 5, OP wouldn’t want to do this trade. 

I doubt Zona would want to trade OEL, but if they did kI dont think the value proposed is far off tbh. A younger roster D, a mid 1st round in a deep draft, and a good prospect. 

However, the 1st rounder and the prospect are too valuable to the Canucks to trade. Futures are more important to this team than present assets. Otherwise, I’d be all over this deal

Archived