The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(GDT) Nucks @ kings

combover

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess he thinks its too early to sit Loui, this will be game 6 of the season so I think a reasonable amount of time for that hasn't passed yet, but soon. For me (probably the biggest Loui supporter on CDC, I got the lumps to prove it :lol:) I think if Loui is goalless in 10 games then yes, as crappy as that is for trying to move him he needs to sit out a game or two. But I can understand why management wont want to see that, it guarantees no return for him in any kind of trade. I'd rather see him stay in and you can at least sell his defensive play as part of a potential deal but at some point I guess you have to do something drastic and bench him, maybe at the end of the eastern road trip coming up if its still a big "0" on the goal sheet. 

Problem is...Even when playing further down the lineup against lesser opposition, Loui has not generated any offence.  It almost boggles the mind how offensively inept he has been.  

Just now, spook007 said:

Forgive me for questioning this, but maybe I don't read this correctly:

But nearly twice as much time with Loui compared to Marcus, just yielded 3 % more (1 goal) ? 

Did I miss something?

Even Strength Line Combinations
Freq Line Combination
34.8% ERIKSSON,LOUI - SEDIN,DANIEL - SEDIN,HENRIK
19.3% GRANLUND,MARKUS - SEDIN,DANIEL - SEDIN,HENRIK
18.9% SEDIN,DANIEL - SEDIN,HENRIK - SUTTER,BRANDON
15.7% HANSEN,JANNIK - SEDIN,DANIEL - SEDIN,HENRIK
11.2% CHAPUT,MICHAEL - SEDIN,DANIEL - SEDIN,HENRIK
Even Strength Line Production (30)
Pts %Total Line Combination
7 23.3% ERIKSSON,LOUI - SEDIN,DANIEL - SEDIN,HENRIK
6 20% GRANLUND,MARKUS - SEDIN,DANIEL - SEDIN,HENRIK
4 13.3% SEDIN,DANIEL - SEDIN,HENRIK - SUTTER,BRANDON
3 10% HANSEN,JANNIK - SEDIN,DANIEL - SEDIN,HENRIK
2 6.7% GOLDOBIN,NIKOLAY - SEDIN,DANIEL - SEDIN,HENRIK

The time with Granny was pretty much even - 20% even strength time, 20% even strength production.

With Loui its 34.8% even strength time, 23.3% production. 

So its not twice but certainly Granny was a more efficient in terms of time to production. Its just not off the charts enough for me anyway to worry about Loui vs. Granny in that role. 

IMO its better for the team to try to get Loui's numbers up with the Sedins vs. Granny's. It might spark Loui's confidence, and also makes him more tradable. 

1 hour ago, Tyndall2 said:

Sad if Virtanen is not in the line up and those other overpaid, underachievers are!  Why doesn't Green park Dorsett in front of the net during our powerplays?  He would create havoc for the defense allowing the others to maybe hit the net once or twice.  Funny how guys can hit an empty net from centre ice but can't hit the net from 20 feet out.  

i 150% agree with this sentiment.  the pp players are to static. dorsett would be a pain infront of the net.

he would screen the goaltender, be a physical pest infront of the net, and he would go hard at those rebounds in the crease.  dorsett is as competitive as they get and hes willing to pay the price to get a chance. 

hes shown he can finish too. why cant he fill a role like brad the rat marchant did in bos a few years ago before he became this scoring savant.

props to your post. one of the best ones in this thread so far!

go canucks go

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

The time with Granny was pretty much even - 20% even strength time, 20% even strength production.

With Loui its 34.8% even strength time, 23.3% production. 

So its not twice but certainly Granny was a more efficient in terms of time to production. Its just not off the charts enough for me anyway to worry about Loui vs. Granny in that role. 

IMO its better for the team to try to get Loui's numbers up with the Sedins vs. Granny's. It might spark Loui's confidence, and also makes him more tradable. 

Cheers Jimmy, I see your point. Fair enough.

On the other hand unless they've already given up, they also needs to get Granny going again, and maybe a stint with the Sedins could do just that.

1 minute ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Problem is...Even when playing further down the lineup against lesser opposition, Loui has not generated any offence.  It almost boggles the mind how offensively inept he has been.  

it is a mystery.

His shooting % was 1/2 of what it was in other years even though he had over 200 shots last year. I do think a big part of it was Willie's line blender and not having another scoring threat with him when he was off the Sedin line, so a lot of "one and done" type shots on goal. So at least with the Sedin's he's got players that can theoretically anyway provide some shots for rebounds or vice versa. 

Just now, spook007 said:

Cheers Jimmy, I see your point. Fair enough.

On the other hand unless they've already given up, they also needs to get Granny going again, and maybe a stint with the Sedins could do just that.

yah I'm really looking at it this way, its expensive lemonade 

NBAEGwe.gif

2 hours ago, Green Building said:

Trying to fins another source for this Green quote.

this needs to be a statement game.  not only to the fans, management, but also the team's in our division.   we need to show up and make it a real challenge for LA. we got walked all over by the big Anaheim and San Jose cali teams. 

we need to prove that our start wasnt a fluke and that we are not going to take a loss/cali road trip lying down.

this has to be treated like a playoff game.  this is a game of games. we either show up or flop.  failure is not an option.  dont flop team! we need to prove our worth! we cant lose these teams respect or it will be a long season.

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess he thinks its too early to sit Loui, this will be game 6 of the season so I think a reasonable amount of time for that hasn't passed yet, but soon. For me (probably the biggest Loui supporter on CDC, I got the lumps to prove it :lol:) I think if Loui is goalless in 10 games then yes, as crappy as that is for trying to move him he needs to sit out a game or two. But I can understand why management wont want to see that, it guarantees no return for him in any kind of trade. I'd rather see him stay in and you can at least sell his defensive play as part of a potential deal but at some point I guess you have to do something drastic and bench him, maybe at the end of the eastern road trip coming up if its still a big "0" on the goal sheet. 

I agree that sitting Eriksson so soon after returning would be ridiculous. Returning from an injury, any athlete needs a game or two to get back to speed. I hope like hell that Eriksson has been approached by management regarding the need for him to score and play his ass off. Like you said, 10 games after returning would be prime time to staple his ass to the press box in favor of someone else. Until then, Loui has opportunity knocking. I hope he's successful, as he's signed with a NTC for 5 more seasons.

When you speak about the return in a trade, do you figure that the organization is considering that, even though they gave him the NTC?

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it is a mystery.

His shooting % was 1/2 of what it was in other years even though he had over 200 shots last year. I do think a big part of it was Willie's line blender and not having another scoring threat with him when he was off the Sedin line, so a lot of "one and done" type shots on goal. So at least with the Sedin's he's got players that can theoretically anyway provide some shots for rebounds or vice versa. 

i beileve the solution for granlund is jake and sam.  granlund and jake had natural chemistry under Willie in the 2015 season.  they flourished together.

add in sam gagners speed and his chemistry with jake we may have something.   cmon green give us a 3 game stretch with them as a unit!

pretty please greener!

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

I agree that sitting Eriksson so soon after returning would be ridiculous. Returning from an injury, any athlete needs a game or two to get back to speed. I hope like hell that Eriksson has been approached by management regarding the need for him to score and play his ass off. Like you said, 10 games after returning would be prime time to staple his ass to the press box in favor of someone else. Until then, Loui has opportunity knocking. I hope he's successful, as he's signed with a NTC for 5 more seasons.

When you speak about the return in a trade, do you figure that the organization is considering that, even though they gave him the NTC?

I do. Salary aside, looking at a team like Edmonton e.g., their bottom 6 is a joke. Loui would be a very solid addition to create a new 3rd line there. How you work the salary problem is another issue but I think if Loui's salary was 3 mil he's very tradable still to a lot of teams. I also don't think NTCs mean all that much, he probably wants a change too and if a team wants to move on from you I think most guys would go to another situation as long as its not a crap heap like Arizona. 

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it is a mystery.

If the secret to getting Loui going is to put him with shooters, the twins the last guys he should play with.  Brick and Jake would be better options. 

Just now, DIBdaQUIB said:

If the secret to getting Loui going is to put him with shooters, the twins the last guys he should play with.  Brick and Jake would be better options. 

agreed, the Sedin's are the 2nd best option. I'd like to see Loui with Bo and Brock, but I can't see Green moving Baer off that line. 

12 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

this needs to be a statement game.  not only to the fans, management, but also the team's in our division.   we need to show up and make it a real challenge for LA. we got walked all over by the big Anaheim and San Jose cali teams. 

we need to prove that our start wasnt a fluke and that we are not going to take a loss/cali road trip lying down.

this has to be treated like a playoff game.  this is a game of games. we either show up or flop.  failure is not an option.  dont flop team! we need to prove our worth! we cant lose these teams respect or it will be a long season.

would be nice

maybe cdc posters should address what the real problem appears to be

our d is simply weak

they are being exposed constantly and there are regular break downs

green's system is a pressure offense system which admits that it will leave the d exposed at times

other teams are taking advantage of this

so green has now been trending to make his offensive players take more responsibility

which undermines his original system, takes offensive pressure off the other team, results in more perimeter shooting

and the offense dries up

he needs to live with the lapses that occur in his original system.. rely on his goalies, keep working on his d men on positioning and other methods to deal with counterattacks that are occuring

going lukewarm is going to make this season's team look too much like last season

i know i don't want to see that brand of hockey for the next 60 games

the problem is not whether jake should have more time then loui

or whether brum should sit, or gagner, or whoever

the team is simply hesitating on what its strategy is

and it is apparent they are losing focus on the ice as a result

things were clearer the first 15 games

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I do. Salary aside, looking at a team like Edmonton e.g., their bottom 6 is a joke. Loui would be a very solid addition to create a new 3rd line there. How you work the salary problem is another issue but I think if Loui's salary was 3 mil he's very tradable still to a lot of teams. I also don't think NTCs mean all that much, he probably wants a change too and if a team wants to move on from you I think most guys would go to another situation as long as its not a crap heap like Arizona. 

Fair enough. I'm all for that. I could see him doing well in Edmonton, and could also see Chiapet going for a trade. I wonder how he'd finagle that one with Lucic's albatross of a contract already on the books, and McDavid's mammoth contract kicking in soon.

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Fair enough. I'm all for that. I could see him doing well in Edmonton, and could also see Chiapet going for a trade. I wonder how he'd finagle that one with Lucic's albatross of a contract already on the books, and McDavid's mammoth contract kicking in soon.

The Kings were (are) in the same boat for cap troubles as the Oilers, but now they are doing really well again.  Hopefully the Oilers can’t wiggle their way free of the albatross contracts, like the Kings seem to have managed.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

The Kings were (are) in the same boat for cap troubles as the Oilers, but now they are doing really well again.  Hopefully the Oilers can’t wiggle their way free of the albatross contracts, like the Kings seem to have managed.

It's amazing how easy it is to stay under the cap when you can just terminate contacts you don't like.

17 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

agreed, the Sedin's are the 2nd best option. I'd like to see Loui with Bo and Brock, but I can't see Green moving Baer off that line. 

Move him back on a line with Sutter and Granlund...?

Baer, Horvat, Boeser

Granlund, Sutter, Eriksson (still capable defensive/match up line but likely more offensive upside)

Gaunce/Vanek, Burmistrov, Gagner/Virtanen (Rotate one of the 5 every game, Gagner or Gaunce moves to C when Burm's out)

Sedin, Sedin, Dorsett (Keeps Dorsett fresher playing balls to the wall closer to 10 mins rather than 17+/-)

Archived