The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Recall] Canucks call up Goldobin

86Viking

The main thing I didnt really like about Goldy's game was his puck pursuit.  As a smaller player that isnt going to dominate along the boards, he needs to show other things like getting after the puck to pressure opponents/give them less time.  I firmly believe that if he can help create turn overs he can earn a spot on this team.  I guess we'll see

33 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Interesting stat, though, after watching our d miss the net from 10' on grade a chances or shoot into shinpads consistently, it is not overly surprising.  Still need more dynamic offensive players up front that can create space and time as well as capitalize on chances. 

What I didn't look up was the change in goals from the defense last year to this year.  Last year, the D scored 22 of 182 goals (12.1%).  You could say that this is a little off because the Canucks scored so few goals last year.  22 goals per game for the full season is 0.27.  4 goals in 25 games is 0.16 gpg so goal production has fallen off the table. 

As a comparable, gpg from defense in 2010-11 was 0.5 and goals from forwards was 2.65 per game.  Fwiw that was the top offense that year.

To spell it out, gpg from forwards last year was 1.95.  This year it is 2.56.  So goals from forwards are up significantly and are trending in the right direction.  They will only get better as some of the younger players develop.

The real worry is goals from defense imo.  Check out the production change:

17/18 (ytd)     16/17

Edler                    0                   6

Tanev                   2                   2

Hutton                  0                   5

Stecher                0                   3

Gudbranson        0                    0

Biega                   0                   0

Pouliot                 1

Del Zotto              1

Sbisa                                        2

Tryamkin                                  2

Larsen                                      1

So it's pretty clear, like you say, the D can't hit the net.  Imo, any time Tanev scores, it's a total fluke.  Is everybody else just having a run of bad luck?

20 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

What I didn't look up was the change in goals from the defense last year to this year.  Last year, the D scored 22 of 182 goals (12.1%).  You could say that this is a little off because the Canucks scored so few goals last year.  22 goals per game for the full season is 0.27.  4 goals in 25 games is 0.16 gpg so goal production has fallen off the table. 

As a comparable, gpg from defense in 2010-11 was 0.5 and goals from forwards was 2.65 per game.  Fwiw that was the top offense that year.

To spell it out, gpg from forwards last year was 1.95.  This year it is 2.56.  So goals from forwards are up significantly and are trending in the right direction.  They will only get better as some of the younger players develop.

The real worry is goals from defense imo.  Check out the production change:

17/18 (ytd)     16/17

Edler                    0                   6

Tanev                   2                   2

Hutton                  0                   5

Stecher                0                   3

Gudbranson        0                    0

Biega                   0                   0

Pouliot                 1

Del Zotto              1

Sbisa                                        2

Tryamkin                                  2

Larsen                                      1

So it's pretty clear, like you say, the D can't hit the net.  Imo, any time Tanev scores, it's a total fluke.  Is everybody else just having a run of bad luck?

May be hard luck but watching them shoot, it is likely more to do with inability to shoot accurately and/or get shots through.  I think our ability to score off the rush makes a big difference this year thanks to increased time being given to Bo, Baer and Boeser.  Dorsett was an anomaly that is unlikely to continue so our forwards still need to increase production.  WE have too many forwards who are defensively responsible (which is good) but who generate close to zero offense - Gaunce, Granlund, Sutter, Gagne.  The Sedins production is also way down even with all the PP time they are getting.  We have been fortunate with Boeser's success and Dorsett's good fortune but we still lack dynamic offensive talent in our forward group. 

9 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Bring up Archie and Lebate

4th line  -   Archie, Lebate, and JV18

Lets get a real energy 4th line  that can change the tempo of a game......

It sure would be nice to put a line like that out there when the team is sagging or our top guys are being run at.  WE really have no push back line at all.

1 hour ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

May be hard luck but watching them shoot, it is likely more to do with inability to shoot accurately and/or get shots through.  I think our ability to score off the rush makes a big difference this year thanks to increased time being given to Bo, Baer and Boeser.  Dorsett was an anomaly that is unlikely to continue so our forwards still need to increase production.  WE have too many forwards who are defensively responsible (which is good) but who generate close to zero offense - Gaunce, Granlund, Sutter, Gagne.  The Sedins production is also way down even with all the PP time they are getting.  We have been fortunate with Boeser's success and Dorsett's good fortune but we still lack dynamic offensive talent in our forward group. 

Alex Auld spoke about a conversation that he had with Eriksson over coffee one day.  Eriksson felt that success in his own game started with opportunities that come out of his defensive game.  

If you have heard the recent interview with Goldobin, this is exactly what he was talking about.  He has discovered this season that when he works hard away from the puck and in his own zone, that many opportunities are created.

This is pretty much where opportunities off the rush begin.  So, being defensively responsible in no way means being offensively inept.

I honestly think that having a dedicated defensive match up line is temporary.  Green only has such a line because of the players he has on the team.  It has broken down already due to injuries.  As younger players become ready, and I'm hoping that Goldobin is about to prove this, they're going to have to move players around in the line up and the defense first line will disappear.  I fear that Dorsett is done unfortunately.  He is an inspiration.

We saw the Canucks play a pretty good game without a defense first line (some, Green for example, say their best to date was vs the Rangers on Sunday).  The only thing they're missing is Sutter to take face offs (still the best and only right hander).  A Sutter line may eventually become a more possession line than anything that would be based around his face off ability and he be partnered with some play making snipers.  Goldy perhaps?

57 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Bring up Archie and Lebate

4th line  -   Archie, Lebate, and JV18

Lets get a real energy 4th line  that can change the tempo of a game......

Archibald is not on contract with Vancouver. Not worth signing either. People forget he would be physical for a short period and be invisible after?

14 minutes ago, beni said:

Archibald is not on contract with Vancouver. Not worth signing either. People forget he would be physical for a short period and be invisible after?

Fair comment.  Archie is too old now.  Need a younger energy guy 

lebate , gaunce and jv 18. ?

too bad gaunce doesnt add more grit to his game 

29 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Alex Auld spoke about a conversation that he had with Eriksson over coffee one day.  Eriksson felt that success in his own game started with opportunities that come out of his defensive game.  

If you have heard the recent interview with Goldobin, this is exactly what he was talking about.  He has discovered this season that when he works hard away from the puck and in his own zone, that many opportunities are created.

This is pretty much where opportunities off the rush begin.  So, being defensively responsible in no way means being offensively inept.

I honestly think that having a dedicated defensive match up line is temporary.  Green only has such a line because of the players he has on the team.  It has broken down already due to injuries.  As younger players become ready, and I'm hoping that Goldobin is about to prove this, they're going to have to move players around in the line up and the defense first line will disappear.  I fear that Dorsett is done unfortunately.  He is an inspiration.

We saw the Canucks play a pretty good game without a defense first line (some, Green for example, say their best to date was vs the Rangers on Sunday).  The only thing they're missing is Sutter to take face offs (still the best and only right hander).  A Sutter line may eventually become a more possession line than anything that would be based around his face off ability and he be partnered with some play making snipers.  Goldy perhaps?

I too fear Dorset is finished.  Part.of me hopes so as I don't want to watch him take a hit that seriously injured him and impacts his future quality of life.

I can certainly see how good.defense can lead to offense.  Unfortunately, without the ability to finish, those chances go for naught.  Eriksson seems to be getting his mojo back and looks like he can be an important piece for us.  Hopefully, Goldy can translate his Utica results to the NHL and earns spot.  I think he might be a good fit with Bo and Boeser and that Baer would benefit being on a second line.  

I really hope to see Goldy tomorrow just to get a glimpse if where he is at and add a bit of spark to a team that seems to be fading fast on this road trip.

15 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Fair comment.  Archie is too old now.  Need a younger energy guy 

lebate , gaunce and jv 18. ?

too bad gaunce doesnt add more grit to his game 

I hope Gaunce can add a bit more grit, he has the size. Ive missed the last few games, has JV been hitting guys much? 

They really need someone thats going to hit anything that moves now with the Dorsett news :(

lets go Goldobin!! excited to see you play, I hope you put in 110% effort tonight and skate hard at both ends of the ice. This is your opportunity, you need to show Travis Green that you are ready and willing to put in the effort to be a full time nhl player.

I hope you play well tonight, best of luck!

Well congrats to Goldobin on working hard and not pouting doing the things he really needed to work on. He clearly is playing a much better game technically and coaches need some credit for that as well.

Very exciting seeing yet another young player with very very high end skill showing he can play responsible and bring his skilled A game at the same time!

Archived