The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Karlsson (discussion)

4 minutes ago, Pears said:

Honestly, if Karlsson has even the slightest of interest in coming here, you give him what he wants and don’t think twice about it. He is far and away the best defenseman in the NHL and I would not have a problem giving him upwards of 7 years, $98 million. 

Even if it's within the CBA rules no player should be making %20 of the cap. It's absurd. How is one supposed to build and maintain a competitive team with that much locked up with one player for 7 years?

6 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Even if it's within the CBA rules no player should be making %20 of the cap. It's absurd. How is one supposed to build and maintain a competitive team with that much locked up with one player for 7 years?

I think Karlsson is a great player too, but he’s not worth (maybe no player is?) more than Crosby/ Kane and those proven Cup winners.  Spending more than 10 million on one player, like the Oilers, might be writing off a team’s chances to build a ?Cup team.  

How’s this for a scenario?

Sedins sign two year deals at a million bucks each and Pettersson comes over next year and makes a huge impact. Boeser leads the league in goals and Bo solidified himself as a top line pivot. Karlsson sees how much we improved and signs a one year deal for 10 million. 

We win the cup in 2020. Twins retire champs and Karlsson moves on to a new team banking 12 million a year. 

59 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Obviously, otherwise why would he and Doughty be making all these comments to the press...

Ya, I think Lafs chase Karlsson hard. He's not winning a Cup on Ottawa, he's gone. EDM will chase him as well but I think he picks the Leafs. He'll own the hockey world and go down as one of greatest to ever play the game if he goes to Leafs.

I don't even think he'll take absolute max he can get, he'll take a bit less to go to a team that could win Cups and it's a big market. He's not going to Carolina even if they offer him more money. He's saying what he's saying but no way he signs in certain markets. He's going to a big market big city team. He'll make more money in endorsements if he plays on a team like Leafs. He'll be the biggest star in the NHL. 

17 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

How’s this for a scenario?

Sedins sign two year deals at a million bucks each and Pettersson comes over next year and makes a huge impact. Boeser leads the league in goals and Bo solidified himself as a top line pivot. Karlsson sees how much we improved and signs a one year deal for 10 million. 

We win the cup in 2020. Twins retire champs and Karlsson moves on to a new team banking 12 million a year. 

Pass on re signing Sedins. They're pretty much done. Time to move forward. 

Henrik takes some sort of role in mgmt and Daniel takes a role in player development or Utica. They both stay with team but playing wise they are pretty much done. 

And this team is nowhere near to competing for a Cup. Pettersson will take 3 years to develop until he's legit 1C. We could make playoffs but no legit Cup contenders that soon. We are a ways away yet. 

@chon derry nailed it buddy.

I found the yapping this week by both of these guys pretty douchy and really taking the fans for granted, particularly Karlsson. My bet is Doughty goes to Toronto and Karlsson leaves, just not sure where. Hopefully not here, that ankle ain't gonna hold up. 

33 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think Karlsson is a great player too, but he’s not worth (maybe no player is?) more than Crosby/ Kane and those proven Cup winners.  Spending more than 10 million on one player, like the Oilers, might be writing off a team’s chances to build a ?Cup team.  

He's getting more than 10 mill. There is no doubt about that. I think he gets 12 mill per year. 

Karlsson is in his prime and best Dman in the world. He' right up there as one of the best all time. He'll be top 3 when done with Orr and Lidstrom. Especially if he signs with an offensively skilled team like the Leafs. 

36 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think in the lotto era its critical that we don't make this size of mistake. I'm of the mind that we're going to make our next run with a lot of ELCs and RFA bridge contract players. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

@chon derry nailed it buddy.

I found the yapping this week by both of these guys pretty douchy and really taking the fans for granted, particularly Karlsson. My bet is Doughty goes to Toronto and Karlsson leaves, just not sure where. Hopefully not here, that ankle ain't gonna hold up. 

It's a business, get over it. It always has been a business and always will be. Fans shouldn't be so naive.

There isn't a team in the world from SHL to KHL to NHL that wouldn't jump at the chance to sign Karlsson. Canucks have no chance, He's going to a team that has chance to win the Cup or multiple Cups.  

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

He's getting more than 10 mill. There is no doubt about that. I think he gets 12 mill per year. 

Karlsson is in his prime and best Dman in the world. He' right up there as one of the best all time. He'll be top 3 when done with Orr and Lidstrom. Especially if he signs with an offensively skilled team like the Leafs. 

Like I said...I think he’s great too.  I just don’t know if any team can afford that much cap on one player, and still be a Cup winner?  The players already give back 15% in escrow on a 70 million dollar cap.  

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

It's a business, get over it. It always has been a business and always will be. Fans shouldn't be so naive.

There isn't a team in the world from SHL to KHL to NHL that wouldn't jump at the chance to sign Karlsson. Canucks have no chance, He's going to a team that has chance to win the Cup or multiple Cups.  

How would a team afford him, and the other pieces needed to win a Cup though?  

Just now, WHL rocks said:

you get over it. There's a thing called goodwill, and both these guys are getting close to the line on blowing that.

I don't want Karlsson. He had 1/2 his ankle replaced last surgery so there's legit concerns over his longevity, and its too much to pay for him. 

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Ottawa would do well to seriously consider finding a way to maximize the return on him because with their internal cap there's little to no way they'd be able to keep him and ice a competitive team.  If they could do it for $9.5 to $10 million maybe, as it would only be a 2-2.5 million increase on his current salary but after that....

Ottawa would do well to have the team sold to someone who gave a damn about icing a competitive to a team.  For all the complaints about the Aqualilini's at least they're not cheap bums like Melnyk.

No issue with a player wanting to max out his return when his owner is too cheap to use any savings to bring in better players to play with.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How would a team afford him, and the other pieces needed to win a Cup though?  

makes it extremely hard to do. I don't see either of these guys performing at this level more than 2-3 years at best into their 7 year deals. It would cripple us. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you get over it. There's a thing called goodwill, and both these guys are getting close to the line on blowing that.

I don't want Karlsson. He had 1/2 his ankle replaced last surgery so there's legit concerns over his longevity, and its too much to pay for him. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

And he’s not really looking very good this season.  Sure he’s better than anyone we have on D, but he is lacking something.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And he’s not really looking very good this season.  Sure he’s better than anyone we have on D, but he is lacking something.  

hey, a 70-80 point d-man would be ridiculously fun to have, we're just going to have to draft that. I just don't see EK doing that until he's 34. 

14 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

SNet header: "I'm Gonna Get What I'm Worth" ..Doesn't sound like a typical Swede D-man.

Incidentally, tonite he's -3. On the season(short period, was injured), he's now -11. What's that worth?!

Would rather we get that Chabot kid, if Dorion wants to squander more youth.

What if he craps the bed this and next year dropping his value? That would be funny but there are a ton of GM’s with deep pocketed owners who will break the bank for him. Regardless of his production until then. 

Archived