The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alex Burmistrov Retires from NHL

Roberts

1 hour ago, smokes said:

For the Canucks, this is starting to get silly. First Tryamkin, then Rodin now Burmistrov all in less than 8 months in a calendar year. Been a Canucks fan for a long time and never seen this.

PS with Burmistrov retiring, does that give us anything in terms of cap relief?

yup its not a buy out or an over 35 contract so whatever is left on this contract will come off. Cap friendly has his remaining hit at $498,387

7 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Let me guess, you PVR the games then scope the final score and lets that decide if you watch the whole game.

If I am wrong I apologise but how else could anyone who has watched all the games try to discredit Gaunce? Gaunce is one of Greens most trusted players.

Wow, amazing insight. Are you watching me when I sleep as well? lol

I don’t rate Gaunce, Green is a fan of Gaunce and IMO puts him into positions he should not be in late in a game. Gaunce does not demonstrate any grit, he is invisible far too often. 

I do not believe he will be part of this club in the future. I watch every game, I think he gets too much ice time and is often used in key defensive face-offs....which he normally fails to win - leading to goals against. Maybe you should fire up your PVR and take a second look alf. 

8 hours ago, HarryCanuck said:

Utica - Utica has a low cost of living but its industrial and economic decline have posed difficulties for people trying to make a new start. Source Wikipedia. 

There are some booming cities in Russia, with large populations and large salaries. Have you ever spent significant time in Russia....or in Utica for that matter?

Would you want to spend 5-10 years in Fort McMurray or Prince George over cities like Moscow/ St Petersburg or Vancouver. I think your broad stroked brush is going a bit too far. Russia might not be for everyone, but it might be very appealing to others. I’ve never been there, but equally I would not rule it out so quickly. Burmistrov was not given a chance here, yet he stuck it out numerous times and tried to make it work. I believe he will look back fondly on the city of Vancouver, but he also needs to think about his career if he is being buried here by the coaching staff.

A simple analogy: I suspect you’d behave in a similar manner if you were being buried making fries/chopping lettuce at McDonalds, when you felt you could be managing the restaurant in a big city....if that was your chosen career. 

I'd rather live in a city where I was free to say whatever I wanted about the state of politics without fear of being kidnapped or murdered by the government.  I'd rather not have to deal with Russian Mob figures, who have their fingers in the KHL pie. I have been to Russia, very depressing place obviously in a deep recession since their economy relies on petrodollars, huge problem with alcoholism and if I lived there I'd probably drink too much too, but no I have not spent considerable time there.  Based on an article I read over the weekend, young, educated Russians who are fleeing Russia by the tens of thousands, so it's obvious they don't want to be there either, at least until Putin is gone and the country is returned to democratic rule.  Sadly, the US is well on the way to being an oligarchy similar to what they have in Russia. You compare playing in the AHL to working at McDonald's and the KHL to owning the restaurant?  The level hockey is about even, but the AHL is at least one step closer to playing in the NHL, which is where the best hockey in the world is still played.

1 hour ago, canuckleheads fan said:

I'd rather live in a city where I was free to say whatever I wanted about the state of politics without fear of being kidnapped or murdered by the government.  I'd rather not have to deal with Russian Mob figures, who have their fingers in the KHL pie. I have been to Russia, very depressing place obviously in a deep recession since their economy relies on petrodollars, huge problem with alcoholism and if I lived there I'd probably drink too much too, but no I have not spent considerable time there.  Based on an article I read over the weekend, young, educated Russians who are fleeing Russia by the tens of thousands, so it's obvious they don't want to be there either, at least until Putin is gone and the country is returned to democratic rule.  Sadly, the US is well on the way to being an oligarchy similar to what they have in Russia. You compare playing in the AHL to working at McDonald's and the KHL to owning the restaurant?  The level hockey is about even, but the AHL is at least one step closer to playing in the NHL, which is where the best hockey in the world is still played.

Your comments initially appeared to be basic in nature, with a very condemning/negative view of Russia. I used McDonalds as a example to try and keep it simple. It could be any restaurant or career, if an individual feels they are being overlooked they should be free to move in a different direction if they feel it is in their best interest to pursue a career in an environment with bigger responsibilities. There is no link between McDonalds and the AHL. Playing in the NHL, KHL or the AHL is an achievement. 

My point is very simple, if Burmistrov wants to play in another city/country as he deems it in his best interest, then fair play to him. I personally feel he was not given much of a chance by the Canucks, it definitely bears no reflection on the city of Vancouver or the country of Canada. Going to Utica as part of a club which has passed him over is not in his best interest, nor is sitting in the press box. Hopefully he will find himself in a bigger role making a larger impact. 

3 hours ago, HarryCanuck said:

My point is very simple, if Burmistrov wants to play in another city/country as he deems it in his best interest, then fair play to him. I personally feel he was not given much of a chance by the Canucks, it definitely bears no reflection on the city of Vancouver or the country of Canada. Going to Utica as part of a club which has passed him over is not in his best interest, nor is sitting in the press box. Hopefully he will find himself in a bigger role making a larger impact. 

Agreed.  Burmi  can probably restart his career quicker by playing in the KHL.

Good decision by him.   He saw what was happening and finishing his year in Utica was going to likely further damage his career.

He made a business decision for himself and his family and i can't blame him for that.

I appreciate the effort he made to help our club this season and i wish him all the best.

4 hours ago, canuckleheads fan said:

AHL to working at McDonald's and the KHL to owning the restaurant?  The level hockey is about even, but the AHL is at least one step closer to playing in the NHL, which is where the best hockey in the world is still played.

Actually the KHL pays much much more that the AHL.   Players are much better off  playing in the KHL. 

10 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Actually the KHL pays much much more that the AHL.   Players are much better off  playing in the KHL. 

Plus, he’s back home.  I’d say the guy gave it a really strong try to make it over here.  Now he’s older (26?) so maybe it’s better for him to play at home?

3 hours ago, HarryCanuck said:

Your comments initially appeared to be basic in nature, with a very condemning/negative view of Russia. I used McDonalds as a example to try and keep it simple. It could be any restaurant or career, if an individual feels they are being overlooked they should be free to move in a different direction if they feel it is in their best interest to pursue a career in an environment with bigger responsibilities. There is no link between McDonalds and the AHL. Playing in the NHL, KHL or the AHL is an achievement. 

My point was also simple, and nothing really against Burmistrov. Based on he and Tryamkin fleeing to Russia as opposed to fighting for a spot here, that would make me, if I were JB, less likely to take a risk on a Russian player in the future. Especially if that player was in need of devellopment. Personally, I'm happy for Burmistrov, he seems to lack the desire to play in the NHL, and going back to Russia seems to work better for his family situation. 

1 minute ago, canuckleheads fan said:

My point was also simple, and nothing really against Burmistrov. Based on he and Tryamkin fleeing to Russia as opposed to fighting for a spot here, that would make me, if I were JB, less likely to take a risk on a Russian player in the future. Especially if that player was in need of devellopment. Personally, I'm happy for Burmistrov, he seems to lack the desire to play in the NHL, and going back to Russia seems to work better for his family situation. 

I think the Russian fleeing factor must affect the GM’s when drafting, especially in those top picks.  

On 24/12/2017 at 9:08 AM, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I actually expect a lot more fringe NHL players doing this (not just Russians), as it will allow them to play in the olympics

exactly what I thought.. get to play on the big stage, be a star... although are the Russians even playing?

On 12/26/2017 at 5:09 AM, HarryCanuck said:

Bure took us to the Cup final in 1994, without him we would not have made it. For instance, Linden is a good locker room guy but he was not a game breaker like Bure in 94. I like having a team attitude but you cannot rule out all Russians as each player has their own strengths /weaknesses, Burmistrov had more upside to demonstrate but was not given a chance to show it. I do not disagree with his decision to move onto the KHL, he is still in his 20’s and needs to earn the majority of his money by the time he is 32, like most hockey players he will not have an education to fall back on. 

I kinda side with Joe on not making Russians much of a draft priority. He is quite right about the overall Canuck record with these players. Larianov was by far the best Russian to ever wear the sweater. That is hard to say when comparing him to Bure but his 200' game was extraordinary. Bure was a game breaker no doubt. 

Linden is still the greatest Canuck IMHO. Yes he was a team captain and a great team builder. He also delivered on the ice. Maybe review the '94 hilights to refresh what he did. Game #6 & #7 were legendary IMHO.  

15 hours ago, canuckleheads fan said:

I think your take on conditions in Russia are pretty accurate. I was there years ago and as bad as conditions were the people are very patriotic. They love their country I do not know how attached they are to a murderer like Putin. You lose me when you suggest the USA is anywhere comparable. Yes, the USA is under pressure just like Canada is if you look realistically. The difference is that the Americans put a businessman in to power to fix things and Canadians elected a part time drama teacher. Go figure!

16 hours ago, HarryCanuck said:

Wow, amazing insight. Are you watching me when I sleep as well? lol

I don’t rate Gaunce, Green is a fan of Gaunce and IMO puts him into positions he should not be in late in a game. Gaunce does not demonstrate any grit, he is invisible far too often. 

I do not believe he will be part of this club in the future. I watch every game, I think he gets too much ice time and is often used in key defensive face-offs....which he normally fails to win - leading to goals against. Maybe you should fire up your PVR and take a second look alf. 

green is a fan because gaunce and dowd have shown more responsible play, doing the little things right.  burmy and goldie tried but hadn't shown that they are able to play a complete game yet. obviously he feels more confidence is some players over others. that is what a coach must do. 

24 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I think your take on conditions in Russia are pretty accurate. I was there years ago and as bad as conditions were the people are very patriotic. They love their country I do not know how attached they are to a murderer like Putin. You lose me when you suggest the USA is anywhere comparable. Yes, the USA is under pressure just like Canada is if you look realistically. The difference is that the Americans put a businessman in to power to fix things and Canadians elected a part time drama teacher. Go figure!

Get it right. He's a developer. All his other business ventures have failed. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work in real estate. It certainly didn't hurt he came from money. 

That way his Daddy bailed him out early in his career. We're not talking about Elon Musk, or Steve Jobs here. 

Archived