The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

SN's Best and Worst trades of 2017

oldnews

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/news/down-goes-brown-nhl-western-conference-trade-grades/ar-BBHpo2j?li=AAggNb9#page=7

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/goes-brown-nhl-eastern-conference-trade-grades/

SN graded all the NHL teams for their 2017 trades. 

Other teams, West and East, can be scrolled through.

Fwiw, here are their comments on Benning's deals.

Vancouver Canucks

Best deal: Getting a solid prospect in Jonathan Dahlen for Alex Burrows. It's never fun to see a fan favorite go, but Burrows' time in Vancouver was done, and Jim Benning extracted maximum value for him.

Worst deal: Not sure there is one.

To be determined: Getting Derrick Pouliot and giving up on Jordan Subban are both deals that will need some time to sort out.

Total trades: Four.

Overall grade: B+. Jim Benning didn't do much, but the moves he did make were solid. The question is whether the rebuilding Canucks will need to be more aggressive in 2018.

-----------------------------------------------------

No mention of the Hansen deal - perhaps belonging in the 'to be determined' column - not looking too good for SJ, for Van, we'll see how Goldobin progresses.

I personally would consider the Pouliot deal to be in the 'best deal' running - not just for this team but one of the better deals around the league this year - but that is with the benefit of seeing all of Pouliot's games here.

The one thing that made me really laugh:  (and highly ironic after all the whipping Benning took from the national media as they fluffed Leafs mngt to no end....)

"Toronto Maple Leafs

Best deal: I guess we have to go with the Boyle deal. He didn't stick around long, but he did make a great play to set up a playoff overtime winner."

The Leafs 'best deal' of 2017 was wasting a 2nd round pick during a rebuild to rent a player for a hopeless playoff 'run'.  

Related image

This one, imo ranks as one of the worst / dumbest deals of the year - but hey, criticizing the Leafs probably isn't a good career move, so SN used the kid gloves here.

#justdoitliketheLeafs

Anyhow, good work in 2017 GMJB - with the miss of the year looking like it could be the Gagner signing - however nevertheless with solid efforts in free agency (Nilsson, MDZ, Vanek) and at the draft as well (very excited about the futures of Pettersson, Gadjovich, Lind and DiPietro...)

Have to say that Benning had a great 2017.  From convincing the ownership that we aren't contenders and actually handling TDL 2017 appropriately, to what could be an arguably amazing draft, to a busy July 1rst, his moves were decisive and great start to a rebuild...*we won't count the years we were retooling on the fly*.  Boesser has been the real deal, Virtanen is starting to show flashes of what we need him to be on a nightly basis, and look at all those prospects playing at World Juniors this year.  Exciting time to be a Canucks fan, and the future just seems to be getting brighter, without the dismal lows some of our Canadian brethren had to deal with in their rebuilding from the rebuild phases.

This doesn't count his UFA and other signings, and he's done okay there too, I guess. Burmistrov and Rodin were busts and Wierioch was signed because....? Utica depth? But I like the Vanek and Del Zotto signings, and Gagner has been so-so. Two of Benning's best signings came last year with MacEwen and Chatfield.

1. Burrows for Dahlen (A+)

2. Hansen for Goldobin and a 4th (Gunnarsson and Palmu) (A+)

3. Pedan and a 4th (2018) for Pouliot (A)

4. Subban for Dowd (C+)

I give Benning an A

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

This doesn't count his UFA and other signings, and he's done okay there too, I guess. Burmistrov and Rodin were busts and Wierioch was signed because....? Utica depth? But I like the Vanek and Del Zotto signings, and Gagner has been so-so. Two of Benning's best signings came last year with MacEwen and Chatfield.

4. Subban for Dowd (C+)

I give Benning an A

Dowd has been better than people are giving him credit for.  Jake Dowd Gaunce has been our best line the last several games, for what its worth.

4. Subban for Dowd (C+)

I give Benning an A

Good point.  Those two were great additions - I loved Chatfield's showing in preseason, and MacEwen is exactly the type of player this franchise could use more of - and is having a very good rookie season in the A.

4. Subban for Dowd (C+)

I give Benning an A

Agreed and honestly we had a descent team until injuries hit. For that reason I feel bad for benning, we've been absolutely decimated by injuries these last few years. Benning made great trades at the last TDL and you can see Benning maturing as a GM. Hopefully this TDL is just as good as the last and we see Vanek, Guddy, a LD and maybe even Tanev traded as I think he's reaching the end of his career. We'd need a RD coming back whether thats a prospect or older cap dump guy.

This year I give Benning an A

9 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Agreed and honestly we had a descent team until injuries hit. For that reason I feel bad for benning, we've been absolutely decimated by injuries these last few years. Benning made great trades at the last TDL and you can see Benning maturing as a GM. Hopefully this TDL is just as good as the last and we see Vanek, Guddy, a LD and maybe even Tanev traded as I think he's reaching the end of his career. We'd need a RD coming back whether thats a prospect or older cap dump guy.

This year I give Benning an A

Tanev is literally just entering his prime as a defenceman... I think the most Ignorant Comment of the year award has just been claimed.

3 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

Tanev is literally just entering his prime as a defenceman... I think the most Ignorant Comment of the year award has just been claimed.

the one single thing you can knock Tanev on is durability, but a lot of guys are in that category. Any playoff team would love to add CT though. 

31 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

4. Subban for Dowd (C+)

I give Benning an A

4. Subban, Dowd (NI)

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the one single thing you can knock Tanev on is durability, but a lot of guys are in that category. Any playoff team would love to add CT though. 

That's pretty typical of D who play like CT.  Shot blocking, shot suppression, grit, all ads wear and tear to the body.  A sub par team also amounts to more injuries, poor passes, constantly defending, it all leads to injury.

24 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

4. Subban, Dowd (NI)

I voted beer for this one! :P

Trading Subban is a NE!

Non

Event

Dowd is just injury depth.  Nothing wrong with that I suppose?  I could be wrong. I don't believe Subban was going anywhere with us.  Nice to get him a shot somewhere...

2 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

Yeah, I think that comment could have been stated better. Clearly Tanev is not anywhere near the end of his career.

That said, he is already well into his prime years. He’s not just entering his prime. And he might actually be closer to the end of his prime than the beginning.

Certainly there’s a possibility that he might end up hitting the start of his decline just as the Canucks are entering their competitive phase. 

In that respect, there’s an argument to be made for “selling high” on Tanev and acquiring younger assets that might be better suited to the future competitive window.

But it’s a tough one. Tanev is still young enough that he should have a couple more prime years left and then have a slight drop off but still be very good for a few more seasons after that.

Eventually age and wear and tear will really catch up to him, but it’s debatable whether or not this will happen before this team has a chance to compete. Depends how close we really are and that probably won’t become clear for at least another year or two.

Still lots of time to make a decision on Tanev and I doubt waiting a year or two will really change the return all that much. And at this point, it’s pretty clear that we don’t have the depth on D to lose Tanev without taking a serious hit to the strength of the roster. That might change when Juolevi arrives and if we add another high end D in the 2018 draft (plus get some more help from current prospects, other trades, FA signings, or Tryamkin returns from the KHL).

Leafs deal for Boyle was dumb but the author straight up said that since leafs didn’t do much he didn’t have much to work with. He probably could have flipped the Boyle move as leafs worst and getting a 7th for enroth as the leafs best. But nothing really stands out as best move since nothing was overly good. 

The worst deal of the year probably has to go to the reaves deal or the hanzal trade deadline one. 

2016 was where most of my gripes with Benning's trade record was, so I will agree with the premise of this article. 2017 didn't really have a mistake for us in trades, you could make arguments for a few, but no clear cut mistakes. We got a great haul for Burrows and a decent return for Hansen. No complaints there.

18 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

The worst deal of the year probably

Just my opinion > The astonishing haul that Ottawa paid other teams for Duchesne is mind bending. That is the worst trade I have seen in years. 

It also has not worked.  Not that they're killing it? 5-4-1 in their last ten & 3 points out of a playoff spot.  And Colorado looks better so far without, lets keep it low key and call it, the distraction of Duchesne? Whereas Ottawa is 2-6-2 & ahead of only truly doofer squads in Buffalo & Arizona.

32 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, I think that comment could have been stated better. Clearly Tanev is not anywhere near the end of his career.

That said, he is already well into his prime years. He’s not just entering his prime. And he might actually be closer to the end of his prime than the beginning.

Certainly there’s a possibility that he might end up hitting the start of his decline just as the Canucks are entering their competitive phase. 

In that respect, there’s an argument to be made for “selling high” on Tanev and acquiring younger assets that might be better suited to the future competitive window.

But it’s a tough one. Tanev is still young enough that he should have a couple more prime years left and then have a slight drop off but still be very good for a few more seasons after that.

Eventually age and wear and tear will really catch up to him, but it’s debatable whether or not this will happen before this team has a chance to compete. Depends how close we really are and that probably won’t become clear for at least another year or two.

Still lots of time to make a decision on Tanev and I doubt waiting a year or two will really change the return all that much. And at this point, it’s pretty clear that we don’t have the depth on D to lose Tanev without taking a serious hit to the strength of the roster. That might change when Juolevi arrives and if we add another high end D in the 2018 draft (plus get some more help from current prospects, other trades, FA signings, or Tryamkin returns from the KHL).

I think the way Juolevi is shaping up is going to make moving, or losing Tanev to free agency, much easier to handle. OJ seems like he's going to be a very aware and calming type D to Tanev, with maybe a little more offensive upside. I'd guess Jim wouldn't move Tanev until we see what OJ can do for most of a season. 

Just now, Canuck Surfer said:

Just my opinion > The astonishing haul that Ottawa paid other teams for Duchesne is mind bending. That is the worst trade I have seen in years. 

It also has not worked.  Not that they're killing it? 5-4-1 in their last ten & 3 points out of a playoff spot.  And Colorado looks better so far without, lets keep it low key and call it, the distraction of Duchesne? Whereas Ottawa is 2-6-2 & ahead of only truly doofer squads in Buffalo & Arizona.

Yeah. I’m in the wait and see with that. Duchene is a top line center who hasn’t fit in so far. If he resigns with them and goes on to have a strong career consistently producing 70+ seasons it might not look quite as bad as it does today. Still a massive overpayment though

Archived