The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Anaheim Ducks vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

Our goaltending needs to be the difference. Especially when our D is weak and evolving. With Miller, at least he did his part most nights to give our forwards the opportunity to stay in games. 

We're back into no man's land with Marky and Nilsson remincient of the days of Cloutier. It's been a while since we've been here.

We've been fortunate for many years to have goalies who gave the rest of the team confidence to focus on their roles. We no longer have that talent in net to bail us out.

As far as future trades go, much of the focus has been on forwards and defense. I'm starting to think Benning may need to go after a top goalie. Demko likely won't come into his own until 27-28. That's 5-6 years from now. 

Look at the impact Luongo had on our previous era team on the upswing. I don't think Demko will be enough. 

7 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Although Travis Green is a world ahead of Twitchy as a coach (so is every coach that ever stood behind a bench) he is definitely just a transition coach for us.

decisions like starting Nilsson are head scratchers and a sign of s rookie coach. I look at what Gallant (my first choice of a new coach) has done with a group of castoffs you have to wonder what if.

i like what Green has done in such a short time to repair the damage Willie caused and injuries don’t help but I do think we need another guy once our “new” core is solidly in place 

Umm, no, starting Nilsson wasn't a rookie mistake. What a dumb thing to say. Both goalies aren't playing well, so of course he'd play Nilsson to try and get him out of his funk. If Markstrom had proven already to be a capable starter, he'd be starting no question.

No, Green is not a transition coach.

I tried trading Baer & Gran (last summer, mostly), & got treated like the proverbial red-headed step-child. Tells ya folks, I knew the shortage of grit would bite our arse. As if we need posters like moi, playing I-told-ya-so's...

Keep saying it..but like Winterpeg the past few yrs. As their kiddies grow, cram 20~30%(of lineup) of snarly mouth-breathers onto the grand stage..who cares if they **** up their lines?!

Guys like Gryba & Prout getting waived..CLAIM 1 or 2 like that. Trade a wimp like Smiley Hutton for a middlish-pick. Groom Stecher to play RD & RW like Biega. Dress 7D lots, so you're prepared for brawling games. Next yr guys like Arch & MacEwan better get a decent shot. Sign/trade for a few more, as well...

This ain't GOSPEL, ferGawdsakes!..but I'm TIRED of the Euro-vision. We need the grit to grind out some ugly 3-2 wins; OR lose 5-2(usually) but it's the other team that gets injuries! Clean, intense, but Hard play..ala Dorsett-style.

Keep drafting young skill, but NEVER compromise your grit. Not for a league run by that midget, with 2 rulebooks.

Game didn't play out the way I hoped, but the blowout wasn't really a surprise.

If the PP at the end of the first could have burried one the rest of the game may have gone differently. Gotta say, I was so frustrated with Edler on that PP. Awful is being nice.

But whatever, the whole team played like bags of crap. Such is life

5 minutes ago, The Great Canucks said:

Umm, no, starting Nilsson wasn't a rookie mistake. What a dumb thing to say. Both goalies aren't playing well, so of course he'd play Nilsson to try and get him out of his funk. If Markstrom had proven already to be a capable starter, he'd be starting to question.

Agreed, Green definitely is not a transition coach. Starting Nilsson is not a mistake, the coach need to try even Marky is a No.1 goalie.

I trust Green will be a coach to bring Canucks to playoff at least.

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

So willfully obtuse.

There's a lot of that going around. It's like an epidemic. Every time the team struggles, it's like a jumbo jet full of people coming from a country with a bad outbreak of willfully obtuse, drops into the arena, infecting the fans.

1 minute ago, WeneedLumme said:

There's a lot of that going around. It's like an epidemic. Every time the team struggles, it's like a jumbo jet full of people coming from a country with a bad outbreak of willfully obtuse, drops into the arena, infecting the fans.

The team's gone around a month with vast swaths of our best defensive players (and best players in general) in and out (mostly out) of the lineup and *surpise!* our goalies now 'suck' too :rolleyes::picard:

17 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I tried trading Baer & Gran (last summer, mostly), & got treated like the proverbial red-headed step-child. Tells ya folks, I knew the shortage of grit would bite our arse. As if we need posters like moi, playing I-told-ya-so's...

Keep saying it..but like Winterpeg the past few yrs. As their kiddies grow, cram 20~30%(of lineup) of snarly mouth-breathers onto the grand stage..who cares if they **** up their lines?!

Guys like Gryba & Prout getting waived..CLAIM 1 or 2 like that. Trade a wimp like Smiley Hutton for a middlish-pick. Groom Stecher to play RD & RW like Biega. Dress 7D lots, so you're prepared for brawling games. Next yr guys like Arch & MacEwan better get a decent shot. Sign/trade for a few more, as well...

This ain't GOSPEL, ferGawdsakes!..but I'm TIRED of the Euro-vision. We need the grit to grind out some ugly 3-2 wins; OR lose 5-2(usually) but it's the other team that gets injuries! Clean, intense, but Hard play..ala Dorsett-style.

Keep drafting young skill, but NEVER compromise your grit. Not for a league run by that midget, with 2 rulebooks.

Stetcher on the wing? I don't think so.

Poop.  Not even a goal to cheer for, but that's ok.  I am behind these guys 100% and have enjoyed some fun hockey this year.  Have learned to take the good with the bad, even when the bad is shutout bad.

Worst part about the game was the annoying as hell, drunk-loud bubble headed bleach blonde who was FAR too intense for the moment.  Her b/f seemed genuinely embarrassed as she got louder and LOUDER.   Then she revealed that she's a displaced ML fan who cheers for anyone BUT the Canucks.  It took all my patience not to try out the superman punch.  But I behave at games, so didn't.   (Wanted to)

No big deal.

The team played better than the result indicated - but in any event....

Getzlaf

Henrique

Kesler

Vermette

That's SC quality down the middle.

For us - we were severely overmatched last night.

Gagner

Henrik

Dowd

Chaput

Add to that the fact that the team also had Boucher and Goldobin in the lineup - some areas that we're simply going to get beat - the Sedins and Goldobin matched up against the Ducks heavy forward group - that is just a tough assignment for a line that is not very hard to play against.  Nowhere to shelter players last night.

The amazing takeaway from last night on the positive side is that the team actually edged the Ducks in the faceoff circle.

And appreciated the efforts from Chaput and Dowd in particular.

Chaput had 12% ozone starts, 40% corsi, 80% in the faceoff circle, and won a tilt imo.

Dowd was really notable - 43 ozone, 65% corsi, 3 hits, 3 takeaways - really impressive, assertive game all over the ice and making a case for becoming a longer term bottom 6.

We get killed in our top 6 when we're this depleted, but still loved the depth efforts.

47 minutes ago, The Great Canucks said:

Umm, no, starting Nilsson wasn't a rookie mistake. What a dumb thing to say. Both goalies aren't playing well, so of course he'd play Nilsson to try and get him out of his funk. If Markstrom had proven already to be a capable starter, he'd be starting no question.

Markstrom played decent his last 2 games and Nilsson was horrid. The team is desperate for wins and we start Nilssson? Sorry pal but this isn’t minor community hockey with equal play time 

yes he he is a transitional coach 

still a way better choice than Willie 

1 minute ago, canuck2288 said:

Markstrom played decent his last 2 games and Nilsson was horrid. The team is desperate for wins and we start Nilssson? Sorry pal but this isn’t minor community hockey with equal play time 

Need to be better than "decent" to earn the undisputed starter job.  Neither goalie has earned it.  Unless you think Markstrom would have shut out the Ducks,  this had very little impact.

We have two goalies for a reason.  Neither is a long term solution.

7 minutes ago, oldnews said:

No big deal.

The team played better than the result indicated - but in any event....

Getzlaf

Henrique

Kesler

Vermette

That's SC quality down the middle.

For us - we were severely overmatched last night.

Gagner

Henrik

Dowd

Chaput

Add to that the fact that the team also had Boucher and Goldobin in the lineup - some areas that we're simply going to get beat - the Sedins and Goldobin matched up against the Ducks heavy forward group - that is just a tough assignment for a line that is not very hard to play against.  Nowhere to shelter players last night.

The amazing takeaway from last night on the positive side is that the team actually edged the Ducks in the faceoff circle.

And appreciated the efforts from Chaput and Dowd in particular.

Chaput had 12% ozone starts, 40% corsi, 80% in the faceoff circle, and won a tilt imo.

Dowd was really notable - 43 ozone, 65% corsi, 3 hits, 3 takeaways - really impressive, assertive game all over the ice and making a case for becoming a longer term bottom 6.

We get killed in our top 6 when we're this depleted, but still loved the depth efforts.

Yes let’s lose more games 5-0 to make you feel even better 

3 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Except we were still losing with Markstrom. So starting Nilsson wasn't a mistake, no matter how much you like to tell yourself otherwise.

4 hours ago, Jayinblack said:

a) Our goaltending was the main reason for our great start.

B) Our vets have had too many sub-par effots this year.  Edler and Eriksson can't leave fast enough IMO. 

The #1 reason this team sucks is our $6 million plus players are not producing. #2 is the goaltending,

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Need to be better than "decent" to earn the undisputed starter job.  Neither goalie has earned it.  Unless you think Markstrom would have shut out the Ducks,  this had very little impact.

We have two goalies for a reason.  Neither is a long term solution.

I am sick if that excuse. If you ever played the game you know what it does to a team when a dud goal is let in early 

both goalies have been awful but frankly Marky has been less awful 

2 minutes ago, The Great Canucks said:

Except we were still losing with Markstrom. So starting Nilsson wasn't a mistake, no matter how much you like to tell yourself otherwise.

Not a mistake? Did you see the goals that were let in? You were happy with that goaltending?

seriously? 

Archived