The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jack Johnson Requests A Trade

Pears

36 minutes ago, c00kies said:

I would, but Columbus wouldn't do it, not straight up anyway.

Really would depend on their situation I think. Johnson's the same age as Edler to put things into perspective. So we could ask the question of would we be willing to trade an Edler for a Vanek?

Obviously our situation's different at the same time as Columbus has a good team and we don't (yet), but if we were a good team and Edler requested a trade, would we then trade him for a player like Vanek?

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Really would depend on their situation I think. Johnson's the same age as Edler to put things into perspective. So we could ask the question of would we be willing to trade an Edler for a Vanek?

Obviously our situation's different at the same time as Columbus has a good team and we don't (yet), but if we were a good team and Edler requested a trade, would we then trade him for a player like Vanek?

I feel like top 4 d-men are worth more than a top 9 forward.

That said, they might bite if they weren't getting any offers and thought that having JJ would be a distraction.

Just now, c00kies said:

I feel like top 4 d-men are worth more than a top 9 forward.

That said, they might bite if they weren't getting any offers and thought that having JJ would be a distraction.

Is getting a point every 2 games out of 3 really just a top 9 forward though? I would argue Vanek's more of an aging 2nd line forward who used to be 1st line.

6 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Is getting a point every 2 games out of 3 really just a top 9 forward though? I would argue Vanek's more of an aging 2nd line forward who used to be 1st line.

I think teams that are interested in him will use him on the powerplay and slot him on the third line, but could move him on the 2nd line if injuries occur or for a shakeup. That's why I said top-9 rather than 3rd line. For example, I would probably have traded for this year's Vanek to be on Kesler's line during our 2011 cup run, so there is value.

14 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Ok you make a good point. I guess they would be looking for someone younger or more established, the only reason I offered Vanek was becasue they are apparently looking for a UFA F. Maybe Granlund, Baertschi (they would want him, we wouldnt trade him though) 

2 minutes ago, c00kies said:

I think teams that are interested in him will use him on the powerplay and slot him on the third line, but could move him on the 2nd line if injuries occur or for a shakeup. That's why I said top-9 rather than 3rd line. For example, I would probably have traded for this year's Vanek to be on Kesler's line during our 2011 cup run, so there is value.

Fair enough. I guess it's really going to depend on the makeup of that team in the end.

On 13/01/2018 at 4:32 PM, Lancaster said:

It's one thing to expect your superstar child to "repay" you plus interest for all those early morning hockey practices, the expensive gears and lessons, plus moving the whole family for a chance at a hockey career.  Not unreasonable if JJ bought his family a beach home, a fancy car and a steady income stream for his parents to retire.... that's only a couple of millions.

But his parents took out those high-interest loans on future income.  A couple of hundred thousands probably ends up costing Jack Johnson like millions.  

As for shady investments.... how stupid do you have to be to know almost nothing about investments and trust some random scrub?  I mean it's not hard to just search online about a well known bank like say.... RBC (any bank will work) and their stocks pays out like 4% annually... so with like $10 million, it pays out $400,000 gross dividend per year.... and that's a lot of money IMO.  

As for Jack Johnson... he probably have 5 good years left in him.  A good solid 2nd pairing and 2nd unit PPQB.  

I feel bad for the dude, I can't blame him for trusting his parents. Management should really set up their young players with a CFA so they can make some sound investing decisions early in their careers. Like you said, a relatively steady fund of Canadian financials, focusing on dividend paying stocks would set them, and their entire families' up for life.

12 hours ago, MattJVD said:

I feel bad for the dude, I can't blame him for trusting his parents. Management should really set up their young players with a CFA so they can make some sound investing decisions early in their careers. Like you said, a relatively steady fund of Canadian financials, focusing on dividend paying stocks would set them, and their entire families' up for life.

I agree that the NHL should have some financial advisors or experts that they have vetted and can recommend to those who are not as savvy investment wise.  

For the most parts, unless a player has gone through the college route and majored in business/finance/economics, their financial literacy is probably non-existent.  

9 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

I agree that the NHL should have some financial advisors or experts that they have vetted and can recommend to those who are not as savvy investment wise.  

For the most parts, unless a player has gone through the college route and majored in business/finance/economics, their financial literacy is probably non-existent.  

Or pro-athletes can be like the rest of society and learn to manage their own money and financial future.

someone asked 1040 / dave tolminson what he thought about a:

Erik Gudbranson

Thomas Vanek

for

Jack Johnson

Trade. he thought there could be something their of potential value after he had a moment to think on it.  i wouldnt oppose id like i keep vanek but Johnson does have more offensive ability then Gudbranson.  Id love him.  Might give Juolevi more time to marinate in the AHL after his full season in Finland.  Id imagine we would have to clear hutton and mdz to make room though. i see pouliot staying.  i want to see more holm too.  i wish our Right side depth was so strong.

I dunno you gotta kind of question why Johnson is not producing in Columbus. That's a good team.

He's not the number one dman we need right now. More like a 2-3 guy, and we already have those.

I'd rather take a couple 2nds and a prospect in separate Gudbranson and vanek trades if we do trade them.

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

someone asked 1040 / dave tolminson what he thought about a:

Erik Gudbranson

Thomas Vanek

for

Jack Johnson

Trade. he thought there could be something their of potential value after he had a moment to think on it.  i wouldnt oppose id like i keep vanek but Johnson does have more offensive ability then Gudbranson.  Id love him.  Might give Juolevi more time to marinate in the AHL after his full season in Finland.  Id imagine we would have to clear hutton and mdz to make room though. i see pouliot staying.  i want to see more holm too.  i wish our Right side depth was so strong.

This is a silly trade idea whoever mentioned it. Canucks need to trade their pending ufa's for futures not a pending ufa on his own who is over 30 also.

If we moved Edler by the draft I would MAYBE consider a short term deal for JJ dpending on his $ demands. He wants a trade to play more minutes and produce, thats a recipe for wanting to try and cash in on a new deal in July. Especially a guy who allowed his parents to spend all his $. Usually the athlete does that, guess he didnt trust himself and he got duped by mom and dad.

JJ probably not a fit here, unless he signs a 1yr prove it betting on himself deal to try and get a more lucrative deal the following season.

1 hour ago, RonMexico said:

Or pro-athletes can be like the rest of society and learn to manage their own money and financial future.

That's true, but most athlete don't have "normal" lives like the rest of us.  

For the average folks, money is tighter and regular things we deal with on a day-to-day basis (buying toilet paper, saving money for RRSP, RESP, etc.) they usually aren't as concerned with.  For all intent and purposes, they're usually living a more pampered life, so just suddenly throwing them out there among the wolves while holding a big bag of cash isn't the best idea.  

They're more likely to be targeted by unscrupulous people, their families, etc.  Sergei Fedorov, Gibert Brule, Jack Johnson are just some of the notable examples of NHLers where there are people who were in trusted position who take advantage of them and their money.  A different sport, but 60% of NBA players file for bankruptcy after retirement.... I wouldn't be surprised is NHL numbers are somewhat similar.  

It's true they're adults and thus should be personally responsible, and I'm not saying the NHL themselves should manage their affairs, but just have a little seminar or a outreach program in place for players who wants to have a third-party who is competent and with a fiduciary duty to their clients.  Instead of them just hoping mom and dad, Uncle Bob, a guy who is cousins of some guy who is recommended by some other guy, or some small time planner who thinks they have hit the jackpot landing some rich star and will milk it for all its worth.... will do the right thing.  

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I dunno you gotta kind of question why Johnson is not producing in Columbus. That's a good team.

He's not the number one dman we need right now. More like a 2-3 guy, and we already have those.

I'd rather take a couple 2nds and a prospect in separate Gudbranson and vanek trades if we do trade them.

1 hour ago, rekker said:

I'm not against looking at JJ as a free agent. Would be stupid to give up assets for him. 

41 minutes ago, Yotes said:

This is a silly trade idea whoever mentioned it. Canucks need to trade their pending ufa's for futures not a pending ufa on his own who is over 30 also.

If we moved Edler by the draft I would MAYBE consider a short term deal for JJ dpending on his $ demands. He wants a trade to play more minutes and produce, thats a recipe for wanting to try and cash in on a new deal in July. Especially a guy who allowed his parents to spend all his $. Usually the athlete does that, guess he didnt trust himself and he got duped by mom and dad.

JJ probably not a fit here, unless he signs a 1yr prove it betting on himself deal to try and get a more lucrative deal the following season.

I agree futures would be much preferred.  Johnson is how old now? lemme look it up.  Yeah hes 31.  he could be around if he remains relevant at the age of 35-36 in 4-5 years.  Veteran D men help but we have a lot of prospects and quality D men on the left side.  If it were a situation where it was straight Guddy for him and we were "weak" on the left side I would entertain it.  Like if he were a right handed D I'd say we need to at least look at it.  but i understand where you guys are coming from.  Veteran leaders help a young team tho.  If the offers on the table for guddy are an ok d prospect like dermott and a 2nd.  It might be worth taking someone like Johnson instead who can have a greater impact on our D core.  I'd take Johnson then flip Edler when Juolevi is ready myself.  

5 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Right now it is their agents who arrange those sorts of classes.  The big agencies offer all sorts of services.  Too bad his parents fired his agent.

I have hung out with a number of NHLers from and journeymen to stars.  One of the most surprising was how young they were, and even young for their ages.

The amount of focus and work it takes to get to that level doesn’t leave much room for becoming worldly and well-rounded.  From around 13 years old your weekends and summers are spent at tournaments, academies, and skills classes.  When you are a pro, your entire life is structured, meals laid out, etc.  Your job is to wake up on time, and get to the bus... after that you just go where you are pointed.

You don’t learn the lessons every other 20-25 year old does striking out on their own.  Surprised this stuff doesn’t happen more often with guys getting my scammed.

13 hours ago, Provost said:

Right now it is their agents who arrange those sorts of classes.  The big agencies offer all sorts of services.  Too bad his parents fired his agent.

I have hung out with a number of NHLers from and journeymen to stars.  One of the most surprising was how young they were, and even young for their ages.

The amount of focus and work it takes to get to that level doesn’t leave much room for becoming worldly and well-rounded.  From around 13 years old your weekends and summers are spent at tournaments, academies, and skills classes.  When you are a pro, your entire life is structured, meals laid out, etc.  Your job is to wake up on time, and get to the bus... after that you just go where you are pointed.

You don’t learn the lessons every other 20-25 year old does striking out on their own.  Surprised this stuff doesn’t happen more often with guys getting my scammed.

Good points. Many talented athletes are catered to as they focus on their training and games. They can be very naive in many aspects of life not just finance. Successful money makers are always targets by those who make their livings by supplying services to them. They have to become very aware quickly. 

Financial illiteracy is endemic in Canada and the USA. It is not taught in school and education after school can often be disguised as an opportunity by the provider to provide services. Understanding an expense sheet, cash flow and a balance sheet does not exist for most. If more people had a better grasp their financial decisions would be better. A better grasp would see more politicians thrown out of governments for the absolute disregard for taxpayer dollars.  

I don't like when this stuff goes public. Players should be pros and keep it a quiet matter until they are moved...

Kesler, Duchene, Drouin... All garbage tactics. That said... The teams that traded the above 3 players all got great returns anyways. So who am I to speak?

Archived