The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Greatest Canucks Ever - Single Season

apollo

Today I was day dreaming and reminiscing about some of the greatest single season performances ever by a Canuck... and there's been many... considering most players that play for this glorious franchise elevate their game to barbaric and inhuman levels. It's just something the crest breathes into them... a sense of eliteness one might say. Thought I'd share a few of my choices, but I decided spotlight just one instead and leave the rest of the nominees to the rest of CDC. Would like to see what some other think... :)

If you're sharing a specific player, specify which season you felt he was the most prominent in! 

I feel very strongly about the player I have chosen to spotlight... I don't think there has ever been a more dominant and fearful power forward in the game.

2002-2003 Todd Bertuzzi
Simply the most dominant single season performance by a power forward in NHL history.

Image result for todd bertuzzi 2003

By the time the 2002-2003 season had started, Todd was already known as one of the most fierce power forwards the NHL had ever seen. There was not a single team in the NHL that would die to have him on their roster. No player could play as tough and produce like Todd at the time. However, things changed this season... a season in which Todd took his game to immortal levels.  

Todd finished 5th in NHL scoring with 97 points but the stats surely don't tell the full story of that season. He had a colossal 144 PIMS and opposing teams were simply scared to even make eye contact with Big Bert. Not a single player in the top 50 points can even remotely close to his pims and toughness. There was the likes of Joe Thornton and Brendan Shanahan had around 100... but they were simply a very poor mans Todd Bertuzzi in 2002-2003. Well Joe was... Brendan was absolute garbage all around and could have been a "very, very, very, very, poor mans Todd Bertuzzi". 

44 Todd Bertuzzi RW 82 46 GOALS 51 97 POINTS 144 PIMS

You can even make a further case that the trio of Nazzy, B-Mo and Big Bert was the best trio assembled in the history of life. Better than Toast, PB and Jelly. 

Image result for west coast express canucks

I think it's real simple and there has never been a better power forward to step foot on NHL ice other than 2002-2003 Todd Bertuzzi. Along with the West Coast express, they single handedly dragged us into the playoffs only to lose a heart breaking series to the Wild... primarily due to goaltending. 

There have been imitators in recent history trying to channel their inner Todd Bertuzzi... Zack Kassian, Jake Virtanen, etc... but there will never be another 2002-2003 Todd Bertuzzi in our lifetime, because once we all pass away, the 2002-2003 Todd Bertuzzi will still be the greatest power forward in NHL history. 

6 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Offensively, Bert had a better season in 2001-02. Exact same points-per-game at 1.18, except that in 2001-02, it was high enough to lead the entire NHL.

Wow you're right... what a joke he wasn't even nominated for the Hart Trophy. 

Old boys club going strong for decades eh? 

Unbelievable... not even nominated https://www.hockey-reference.com/awards/voting-2002.html 

At least 2003 he was nominated https://www.hockey-reference.com/awards/voting-2003.html 

I think most people can agree that Naslund was the rightful winner of the Hart that year though. Won the Lester Pearson. 

Paul Reinhart should get an honorable mention.

Team he carried was horrible (at least Bert had one of the most lethal left wingers in his prime as a linemate).  Linden was only a rooke/sophmore during his years as a Canuck.

Flames dealt him originally to the Canucks because they felt we were so bad - we were no threat to them (Reinhart still had SOME gas left in the tank but likely was going to have difficulty cracking that roster).  Move almost came to bite them in the butt as we almost knocked them out of the post-season (yes, that was the year the Flames won their only Cup).  Actually, we should've won that series as Otto scored the clinching series goal by KICKING IT IN!.

A past his prime Reinhart was so good, he was still able to carry a sad sack team into the post-season.  So good, I ALMOST forgot the stench of the Flames odor still on him.:P

50 minutes ago, gurn said:

Henrik Sedin

2009/10       29 goals 83 assists 112 points plus 35.      14 points in 12 playoff games

And did a whole chunk of it with Danny hurt, would have around 125-130 if Danny was healthy imo.Very impressive in today’s nhl 

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Team he carried was horrible (at least Bert had one of the most lethal left wingers in his prime as a linemate).  Linden was only a rooke/sophmore during his years as a Canuck.

Flames dealt him originally to the Canucks because they felt we were so bad - we were no threat to them (Reinhart still had SOME gas left in the tank but likely was going to have difficulty cracking that roster).  Move almost came to bite them in the butt as we almost knocked them out of the post-season (yes, that was the year the Flames won their only Cup).  Actually, we should've won that series as Otto scored the clinching series goal by KICKING IT IN!.

A past his prime Reinhart was so good, he was still able to carry a sad sack team into the post-season.  So good, I ALMOST forgot the stench of the Flames odor still on him.:P

I grew up with a friend called Paul Reinhart, but was too young at the time to know that we had a Reinhart lol.

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Reinhart was fantastic, but McLean was a Vezina finalist that year, in addition to Linden's almost-Calder-winning year.  Skriko, Tanti, Lidster, Pederson, Adams, Sandlak, etc.  It wasn't a HORRIBLE team.

Tiger Williams 1980-81

Led the team in goals with 35, while becoming the first, charter member of the most exclusive, nay elite club in NHL history... The legendary 30/300 club. (30+ goals and 300+ pims in a single season).

Nobody compares to the fearless ferocity of the NHL's all-time leading penalty-minute man, and none before or since have possessed the complete package of bona-fide tough guy with his scoring touch.

Hail the Tiger.

DaveTigerWilliams_display_image.jpg

blog-0355724001430167856.jpg

Personally, I'd say some of the best would be:

- Gary Smith's 1974-75 season when he was in the conversation for the Hart

- Stan Smyl's 88-point season in 74 games in 1982-83

- Bure's 60 goals and 107 points in 1993-94 in 76 games

- Kirk McLean's season in 1991-92, very similar to Smith's in '74-75

- Bertuzzi's 2001-02 season when he led the NHL in points-per-game

- Naslund's 2002-03 season when he finished 2nd in goals and points.

- Paul Reinhart's 1989-90 season with 17 goals and 57 points in just 67 games.

- Mogilny's 55-goal season in 1995-96

- Henrik and Daniel's insane 2009-10 seasons

- Bobby Lu had a great 2010-11 season with a .928 save percentage, but his 2006-07 season was probably better, when he tied the old wins record by Bernie Parent at 47 in the same year that Brodeur beat the record

Those are the best that come to mind, though there are other good ones as well.

15 hours ago, gurn said:

Henrik Sedin

2009/10       29 goals 83 assists 112 points plus 35.      14 points in 12 playoff games

15 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

And did a whole chunk of it with Danny hurt, would have around 125-130 if Danny was healthy imo.Very impressive in today’s nhl 

I wanted to feature that but I knew people would nominate it anyways. That is... in my honest and 0% homer opinion, the greatest single season by any athlete in NHL history. 

Archived