The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour/Report/Speculation] The Official Erik Karlsson Thread (Keep it all here please)

We are one of a very few teams that could take Ryan back in the deal. Even then I wouldn't overpay for EK. If we take Ryan I would offer up OJ, a second. Maybe Lind as well but obviously EK would have to sign off on an extension. I see no point in trading our first, Bo, EP, Brock, Quinn, Jake. I only include OJ because I'm guessing Ottawa wants a young D back. Some may say Ottawa would hang up the phone but take it or leave it I say.

For me it all comes down to 

1- Don't touch, Horvat, EP, Hughes and Boeser.  Anything else can't pretty much go in any combination

2- EK's salary demand.  If it's anything above 10M, I'd say hard pass.  Look at how the contracts of Kopitar, Toews, Kane, McDavid/Draistail hurt their respective team (depth).  

Actually I'm thinking that Dipietro can be a wild card here and valuable asset for Ottawa.  They have no goalie in the pipeline and while Dipietro is actually a really hot commodity, with goalies you just never know.  I feel safe with Demko, so might as well sell Dipietro while his value is high.

OJ, Hutton (hometown boy, roster spot), Dipietro and 2nd 2019, 3rd 2020.

Id be ok with it if Karlsson and the Canucks came to terms on an extension prior to the trade and we gave up:

Demko, Gaudette and OJ  (not convinced on these guys)

or

Tanev,  Gaudette and OJ

or if the Senators include Ryan:

Gaudette, OJ & 2nd rd pick 

Boeser, Horvat, EP and Hughes off the table. 

9 minutes ago, rekker said:

We are one of a very few teams that could take Ryan back in the deal. Even then I wouldn't overpay for EK. If we take Ryan I would offer up JO, a second. Maybe Lind as well but obviously EK would have to sign off on an extension. I see no point in trading our first, Bo, EP, Brock, Quinn, Jake. I only include JO because I'm guessing Ottawa wants a young D back. Some may say Ottawa would hang up the phone but take it or leave it I say.

Who is JO?

https://fansided.com/2018/08/22/erik-karlsson-rumors-canucks/amp/#comments

Right when it looked like Erik Karlsson was staying put in Ottawa, reports have surfaced that he could be on the move to the Western Conference before the season starts.

August dead zone? Nonsense. One of the biggest trades of this decade could be on the horizon with Erik Karlsson possibly on the move again

Rumors have surrounded an Erik Karlsson trade for months, but with weeks of no news on the Erik Karlsson front, all hopes of a trade before the beginning of the regular season seemed dead.

Elliotte Friedman just dropped a nuclear bomb and reported that the Erik Karlsson sweepstakes have begun again, this time with some new candidates.

Elliotte Friedman
There is a sense today that Erik Karlsson trade talks have picked up in the last few days. Most likely destinations appear to be Western Conference. There is also a belief VAN has stepped in to see if it is a match

The 28-year-old Karlsson is set to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of this upcoming season, and has publicly said that he “is going to get what I’m worth, and it’s going to be no less, no matter where I’m going.”

Whats really interesting about this report is that Vancouver has emerged as a candidate to land Erik Karlsson. The Canucks are in the middle of the long rebuilding process and have spent the last several years acquiring youth through the draft and through trades.

Would they be willing to grind a halt to that whole process in order to land a player like Erik Karlsson?

Several players would have to be shipped and would change the whole identity of the team. Quinn Hughes, Vancouver’s 2018 first-round pick, will have to be a basic requirement and who knows who else the Canucks would have to add in order to meet Ottawa’s requirements?

Would they go as far as to include a player like Elias Petterson or Brock Boeser?

Where this does begin to work is that the Canucks have the cap space to take on Bobby Ryan’s contract in order to lessen the overall asking price and Ottawa has been rumored to be attempting to tack Ryan on to a Karlsson trade in order to shave costs.

While Vancouver was the team specifically mentioned by Friedman, he did also mention that the destination is likely a Western Conference team. That could include previously rumored teams like the Dallas Stars and Vegas Golden Knights.

Last season was a tough one for Erik Karlsson. After missing the beginning of the year while recovering from an ankle injury from the Senators playoff run the previous year, Karlsson took a bit of time to re-find his game and struggled a bit during the year.

Even despite all that and the whole Senators team going up in flames around him, Karlsson still posted 62 points in 71 games.

While that is still impressive for a down season, that was Karlsson’s lowest scoring total in a full season since 2010-11 and nine goals was the lowest goal scoring total in a full season of his NHL career.

No matter what happens, it’s hard to imagine Erik Karlsson as still a member of the Ottawa Senators come the 2019 offseason with all that he’s gone through with the organization.

Whether by trade before the season, a trade at the deadline, or free agency, all the odds point to him being out the door. After the whole John Tavares saga this summer, Ottawa needs to take heed and get assets in return for Karlsson if they are not certain that they can lock him down.

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Well as Karlsson has been available for a long time, our due diligence would have happened a long time ago.... probably a pretty quick call.

If it is actually true that the Canucks have “stepped in” recently, that is an entirely different matter than just making a call.  It would mean circling back because of a change in circumstances, either lowering of the return demanded by Ottawa or an increase in our interest.  

Hopefully it is not the latter due to dissenting voices in the organization having recently left. Going after Karlsson smacks of an Aquilini move, so not entirely out of the realm of possibility.

Thank you I feel like people just group think and because everyone is such a wet blanket about any kind of trade that involves any superstar of any AAA quality we don't stop and consider what if the player actually wants to come here. I would trade Quinn in a heartbeat and tanev. Honestly Quinn did not seem like he really wanted to be here when you listened to some of his media. Its total speculation I know, but....

He also might be going to

Anaheim Ducks

Arizona Coyotes

Boston Bruins

Buffalo Sabres

Calgary Flames

Carolina Hurricanes

Chicago Blackhawks

Colorado Avalanche

Columbus Blue Jackets

Dallas Stars

Detroit Red Wings

Edmonton Oilers

Florida Panthers

Los Angeles Kings

Minnesota Wild

Montreal Canadiens

Nashville Predators

New Jersey Devils

New York Islanders

New York Rangers

Philadelphia Flyers

Pittsburgh Penguins

San Jose Sharks

St Louis Blues

Tampa Bay Lightning

Toronto Maple Leafs

Vegas Golden Knights

Washington Capitals

Winnipeg Jets

34 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Our 2nd rounder is only a few spots away from cup contending teams 1sts. But no one is going to give Ottawa a prime young roster player, thats why this has dragged on for so long. 

I get it. Just found it interesting that I stumbled upon that paragraph/article after reading the previous post with the similar tweet. Almost identical. 

I sure hope these reports are real. 

EK would be instantly make the Canucks into a contender. He is, has been and will continue to be a top 3 D man for another 8 or so years.

I don’t care what they give up as long as it’s not Petersson, Horvat, Boeser or Hughes. All the rest are fair game, pics, players and other prospects. 

An EK acquisition will turn the tide of being bottom dwellers and get us back into being winners. 

Archived