The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour/Report/Speculation] The Official Erik Karlsson Thread (Keep it all here please)

41 minutes ago, Canuck Drogo said:

Oh man, getting to watch hands down one of the most entertaining players (and all round best players in the world) on a nightly basis would be a real treat. 

However this would of course only make sense if he agreed to an extension before the trade was made. 

Also, it would undoubtedly take a package which included at least one of Pettersson, Horvat, Hughes, or Boeser to get this done, and I wouldn’t be willing to let any of those guys go. 

Hopefully a package including picks (top three draft lottery protected), players (anyone currently on our roster not named Horvat or Boeser), and Julouevi would be enough, and we could take back Bobby Ryan.

I don't understand. We already have Elias Pettersson.

Karlsson is a World Class, Elite 1st Defenceman.. the closest Vancouver has been to  a player like that in 40+ years was M Ohlund.

If Karlsson does make it to Vancouver, imagine what this Elite brings in mentorship to our Prospective Defencemen who possess skills like him,  but need to refine their games to his level.

Instantly we would have a pp QB, Ingenious PK’er, Goal contributor, Captain/ Leader, establish a positive type of game that would rub off on ever shoulder in the room for years to come.

#worth it.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Exactly. While Karlsson is an amazingly talented defenseman and one of the best, unless he gets a adamantium ankle transplant, his injury history definitely comes into play.

If that is what it took, I'd be all over that like Donald Trump at a KFC buffet.

It would. The defense would automatically improve.

so much of this depends on how badly Ottawa is being lowballed by other teams, and if Dallas wont give up Heiskanen.... makes me think we have a mix that works. Dorian isn't going to get a return like he paid out for Duchene. I can see there being some pressure of not wanting EK to start the season there, imagine a pre-TDL injury and EK walks. 

I would imagine a positive review of the city from the Sedin's would go a long way as well. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

so much of this depends on how badly Ottawa is being lowballed by other teams, and if Dallas wont give up Heiskanen.... makes me think we have a mix that works. Dorian isn't going to get a return like he paid out for Duchene. I can see there being some pressure of not wanting EK to start the season there, imagine a pre-TDL injury and EK walks. 

I would imagine a positive review of the city from the Sedin's would go a long way as well. 

tumblr_od0tgplhhJ1qjn3rao1_500.jpg

28 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Then the Senators are bracing themselves for another write off year and worse, even less fans to show up in their building!! 

And?

That is not our problem.  Benning trading off vital young assets during a rebuild when our pick should be top 10 again IS our problem.

Trading anything right now for a 1 year rental with 1.5 ankles left on a team that will suck again in the standings this year mid rebuild is beyond stupid.

Ottawa and Dorion not being able to put fans in the seats is their issue

If Ottawa wants to maximize trade value it looks like this

To Colorado:  E. Karlsson 2019 3rd round pick

To Ottawa:  Cale Makar 2019 1st round pick (Ottawa)

That is THE best deal they can hope for.  A top 3 pick and a decent prospect.  Just sucks for them that the pick is their own

28 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

Juolevi

Granlund

Goldobin

Vancouver 2019 - 2nd Round Pick

Vancouver 2020 - 2nd Round Pick

Hahahah.  

Would you take that pack of scraps and poop for EK if you had him?  

No way in hell I would. 

That is basically Juolevi and two 2nds.  

Not even close. 

32 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

Juolevi

Granlund

Goldobin

Vancouver 2019 - 2nd Round Pick

Vancouver 2020 - 2nd Round Pick

my concern is they might want Guddy as well, given that he's a home town Ottawa guy and he and Tkachuk could set the tone for team. 

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks-trade-talk-erik-karlsson-senators

This is my first ever new topic post so don't be too mad if I am doing this wrong!

As much as I would love to see Karlsson in a nuck jersey this just wouldn't make sense for Vancouver.  We aren't close enough to be competitive AND would need to resign him next year.  Really hope this is just a rumour and Canucks aren't a serious contender.

Thoughts? 

Additionally, I would also accept constructive criticism on how to improve posts, such as adding Friedman's twitter post, etc.

Thanks guys.

7 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Hahahah.  

Would you take that pack of scraps and poop for EK if you had him?  

No way in hell I would. 

That is basically Juolevi and two 2nds.  

Not even close. 

I often wonder now since NYI let Tavares walk and got nothing, that maybe some of these GMs might be willing to play ball on deals for their stars more than they would have in the past. Yes, the Sens may look at the above proposal as low balling but is something better than nothing? The longer this saga plays out, the smaller the offers should get. There is a tipping point at which you gotta take something or risk getting squat in return. Not saying this is where Ottawa is at right now, but they could be soon.

Alright lads, my thoughts for a trade:

joulevi (obviously)

tanev (obviously)

2019 1st

thats probably what I would take. BUT I I could see the Canucks avoiding giving up a 1st if they instead take on bobby Ryan’s contract. Maybe give up baertschi or a 2nd or something in that place. 

If that’s the case, I’m sold. But I don’t think Van should give up their 2019 first nuh uh. 

PS Hughes and Karlsson would instantly be the most lethal defense combo in the league

If true, this confirms the rumours of why Linden was let go.

Huge Karlsson fan, but straight up bad direction for Vancouver, this team needs another year or two of high draft picks, it's no where close to being a playoff team. Not to mention Ottawa is going to want one of the following in the package, Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes, or 2019 1st rounder. How that is a starter for a guy that's almost 30 going to a non-playoff team in the middle of a rebuild? Kind of defies logic.

31 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Karlsson is a World Class, Elite 1st Defenceman.. the closest Vancouver has been to  a player like that in 40+ years was M Ohlund.

If Karlsson does make it to Vancouver, imagine what this Elite brings in mentorship to our Prospective Defencemen who possess skills like him,  but need to refine their games to his level.

Instantly we would have a pp QB, Ingenious PK’er, Goal contributor, Captain/ Leader, establish a positive type of game that would rub off on ever shoulder in the room for years to come.

#worth it.

I love Ollie as much as the next guy but Paul Reinhart wasn’t too shabby...

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Rumour/Report/Speculation] The Official Erik Karlsson Thread (Keep it all here please)
10 minutes ago, Dr.BRR said:

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks-trade-talk-erik-karlsson-senators

This is my first ever new topic post so don't be too mad if I am doing this wrong!

As much as I would love to see Karlsson in a nuck jersey this just wouldn't make sense for Vancouver.  We aren't close enough to be competitive AND would need to resign him next year.  Really hope this is just a rumour and Canucks aren't a serious contender.

Thoughts? 

Additionally, I would also accept constructive criticism on how to improve posts, such as adding Friedman's twitter post, etc.

Thanks guys.

I merged your thread with the existing Erik Karlsson thread, and renamed it so that we could use this thread for all reports/rumours related to Karlsson until a trade actually happens.

If they are desperate to include Bobby Ryan's contract that could put off a lot of teams obviously. That contract alone is worth a first going with it. So take away the first leaving, drastically diminishes the return for EK.

Being said, an offer of OJ, Goldobin, and picks, especially a 2020 1st could be enticing considering all signs point to EK not resigning there. They keep all those assets in their system. 

Benefits for us... a year him playing with Boeser and Petterson may convince him the future is bright and resign with us. 

2 hours ago, Brad Marchand said:

If the Senators offered Zack Smith, Cody Ceci, and Tom Pyatt for Pettersson, would you say yes? Because that's basically what that offer looks like to them.

In any event, I don't see the Canucks having the kind of assets to land Karlsson without crippling their prospect depth. Some other team will be willing to pay that price, even if it probably won't match Karlsson's full value.

Not quite the same because the player being traded for is an older veteran with one one year of club control left before UFA and a partial no trade clause.

I also don’t actually think it is a good offer, just that we had better not offer something more.

Ottawa already messed this up, by annoying the teams that Karlsson was willing to sign an extension to.  Now they are effectively trading a rental... an amazing rental, but that still caps the return at a fraction of what it would be if he was willing to sign an extension.

Archived