The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumours] Vanek

aGENT

14 minutes ago, mll said:

It's unfair to Benning to expect that he can get a similar return for Vanek as Nash.  His past playoffs might limit his return.

Rick Nash in his last 5 years playoff experience is only a .52 ppg player. 

That's the same ppg as Vanek in his only two playoff runs in the last 5 years. 

Rick Nash is the most overrated player... 

1 minute ago, lethunder said:

Rick Nash in his last 5 years playoff experience is only a .52 ppg player. 

That's the same ppg as Vanek in his only two playoff runs in the last 5 years. 

Rick Nash is the most overrated player... 

They like his size and physicality

On 2/7/2018 at 1:15 PM, coastal.view said:

then it is more likely the annual payment would be higher

he brings enough that i think 3 years is reasonable

he seems to have really good chemistry with brock

some of his passes to brock during he harsh injury period

had some of the same aura as the sedin telepathy

Why sign him for 3 years? You want to have the same team playing the tank game for the next 3 years. We have Gudbranson, Gagner, Eriksson for 3 years and more and you want to sign another player who is in his mid 30s? I don't understand the logic, are we contending for the cup or are we rebuilding because keeping the status quo is just idiotic especially with the number of prospects Canucks have that will be ready as early as next year. Then we also re-sign the Sedins too and then you will have zero spots for Gaudette, Petersson, Lind, Gadjovich, Lockwood and our top 5-10 pick from this year. We seriously need to unload the some of the vets because am just not going to watch this crapfest with the same players for the next 3 years. The only reason that I even tuned into the Canucks this year was because of Boeser and the Canucks finally having a future but if they keep resigning the same old washed up players, I won't watch them anymore. The on ice product just feels stagnant and it really need to be revitalized by some youth.

On 2/7/2018 at 1:43 PM, rekker said:

Vanek and Brock definitely have some chemistry. Was it not Vanek that got bought out of a contract? Pretty sure it was. To me that's kind of a red flag for a three year deal. And dont get me wrong. Vanek has been one of the reasons to watch this year. 

I like Vanek, but at some point the team really needs to turn the page and start injecting some more youth to this team. If we didn't have Eriksson and Gagner wasting roster spots, I would be more inclined with Vanek re-signing with the Canucks for a couple of years. But Benning goofed and signed those two useless players that are now taking valuable roster spots away from our top prospects.

On 2/7/2018 at 1:49 PM, Boudrias said:

Benning has to trade Vanek if he can get a 2nd Rounder for him. 

I'd trade him even for a 4th or a 5th honestly. I mean how much is Vanek's worth in the remaining 20 games of the season?? Get something for him now because this is the best option right now because the alternative is nothing. Plus we know Benning can get good players even in the 5th round. Heck, Gaudette was a149th overall pick and some people are comparing him to Bergeron, let that sink in.

1 hour ago, Chip Kelly said:

Anaheim is one of the teams in on Vanek. Looks like he is the plan b when Kane,Hoffman, and Maroon are moved.

Seeing Nick Ritchie getting mentioned a bit on twitter. Just speculation from mostly no name users and some mock trade tweets but it’s kinda interesting and when I think about it, it’s a the kind of acquisition that’s not unlike some of JB’s previous moves.

Ritchie might actually benefit from a change of scenery, especially to to a rebuilding team. And when he’s on his game, he definitely fits Benning’s brief of “a big forward with physicality, who can make plays.”

56 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Seeing Nick Ritchie getting mentioned a bit on twitter. Just speculation from mostly no name users and some mock trade tweets but it’s kinda interesting and when I think about it, it’s a the kind of acquisition that’s not unlike some of JB’s previous moves.

Ritchie might actually benefit from a change of scenery, especially to to a rebuilding team. And when he’s on his game, he definitely fits Benning’s brief of “a big forward with physicality, who can make plays.”

I'd feel sorry for the poor D-men on the ice if Virtanen and Ritchie were ever on the same line

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Somehow the coachroach Botchford managed to make a career for himself bashing the Canucks.

It's good business apparently. Especially if Leafs media picks you up as an (anal)yst to cover the team.

Botchford is a poor excuse for a reporter. I remember Botch being on the of the guys in the morning show and he was cutting off a caller who was talking about goaltending (the caller played Major junior) and Botch was acting like he knows more about the position because he's talked to more guys in league circles LOL

3 hours ago, Yotes said:

The morning guys on after Pratt are quite arrogant as well. Pratt is annoying and loud but those other 2 guys the handful of times I have heard them they banter with listeners and just full on have a hatred for every move Canucks make

Bro jake is a moron, that guy does not belong in the airwaves whatsoever. The morning show in 1040 is absolute garbage ever since Bro Jake joined the scene. Seems like ages and ages ago when the morning show had Ferraro before his tsn tv days and I think it was Donny taylor, my gawd were we spoiled. Absolutely looked forward to the drive to work listening to those guys rip it up. Ferraro's stories and insights were top notch

1 hour ago, DefCon1 said:

I'd trade him even for a 4th or a 5th honestly. I mean how much is Vanek's worth in the remaining 20 games of the season?? Get something for him now because this is the best option right now because the alternative is nothing. Plus we know Benning can get good players even in the 5th round. Heck, Gaudette was a149th overall pick and some people are comparing him to Bergeron, let that sink in.

If a team low-balled for lets say a 7th round pick. Would u take it

39 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

Bro jake is a moron, that guy does not belong in the airwaves whatsoever. The morning show in 1040 is absolute garbage ever since Bro Jake joined the scene. Seems like ages and ages ago when the morning show had Ferraro before his tsn tv days and I think it was Donny taylor, my gawd were we spoiled. Absolutely looked forward to the drive to work listening to those guys rip it up. Ferraro's stories and insights were top notch

Halford and Brough are aweful. They should go back to reviewing craft beer.

By MacIntyre - Benning's update on Vanek:

Interestingly, Benning didn’t rule out the possibility of a NTC on a future deal for Vanek even though he has been steadfast in excluding them in recent multi-year contracts for Gudbranson, Bo Horvat, Sam Gagner and Michael Del Zotto.

“That’s something we’ve shied away from giving out because it ties your hands,” Benning said. “But I understand it from the player’s perspective and sometimes that’s the only way you can get a free agent. We look at each case individually.”

Benning understands he faces severe criticism if he fails to make a trade and Vanek leaves the Canucks as a UFA next summer.

“At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter how hard you work, you have to have another team that wants your player enough to do a deal,” Benning said. “We’ve made all the calls.”

8 hours ago, mll said:

But that's not how it's going to read.

Point was, the specific "Vanek reputation in the playoffs" narrative is false compared Nash's.  GMs see the numbers, but there's many things considered.

6 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

I'd feel sorry for the poor D-men on the ice if Virtanen and Ritchie were ever on the same line

From the juniors, "That Ritchie is a big unit, eh?" - Jake.

41 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Point was, the specific "Vanek reputation in the playoffs" narrative is false compared Nash's.  GMs see the numbers, but there's many things considered.

I would be happy if this is all Jimmy does this TDL an grabs another big prospect piece.

49 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

They've scouted the games.  Numbers say Vanek is at least as good but watching the games says something different.  

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

That would be so rewarding to draft a great player with the Flames pick.

Unfortunately we're not getting it for Vanek. It would have to be Tanev going back the other way with more coming back.

Only way we get a 1st would be if we add something else with Vanek.

17 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Only way we get a 1st would be if we add something else with Vanek.

I'd like the Canucks to add Baertchi as a trade piece and Gagner and or Del Zotto if anyone would take them.

Would be great to trade Edler in a package but it's well known Sally won't waive his no trade but one can dream lol.

3 minutes ago, The Big Luongo said:

I'd like the Canucks to add Baertchi as a trade piece and Gagner and or Del Zotto if anyone would take them.

Would be great to trade Edler in a package but it's well known Sally won't waive his no trade but one can dream lol.

Wow that’s a lot of trading. I would love to move a lot of people for picks and prospects and good young players but from the looks of it we’ll trade Vanek and only Vanek it’s unfortunate 

Archived