The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumours] Vanek

aGENT

Just now, Rush17 said:

I starting to let myself get to excited for this deadline. I'm really trying to not let myself get to worked up. I got a feeling im going to be disappointed if nothing outside vanek happens. i am trying to temper expectations tho

I get that we need vets amd leadership etc. But a team finishing in the bottom of the league shouldhave a few extra picks at the deadline. I mean we are already losing games. 

The one player we have now that Gudbranson is signed that could fetch us a nice return is Edler but he has a NTC so he will not be going anywhere. We don't really have many expendable assets. Tanev doesn't have to be traded now nor does Hutton. Our goalies have been awful so they really aren't tradeable either.

Like a lot here, I have been practically hanging out in the Trades, Rumour and Signing section for a bit now. The players discussed in this section have been dissected every which way as is their potential/actual returns. Most of us are familiar with Vanek's strengths and weaknesses by now and the range of the return he might bring. The one aspect that I haven't seen mentioned is the moral boost the acquiring team receives along with the player.

Take the Burrows trade for example. I know one of the reasons we got a trade done for a pending UFA, and a nice return to boot, was because he signed an extension with Ottawa. If you put that aside for the moment, I say Ottawa went on a nice little run there partly due to the confidence boost from adding Burrows. He was well received by management and the team and he contributed down the stretch and in the playoffs but his addition also gave his new team added confidence. The team knew what Burrows brings and the added reinforcement showed management believed in them. It is amazing the effect on employees when management shows confidence in them and what they are trying to accomplish.

I look at Anaheim and teams that are on the playoff bubble and imagine the confidence boost they may receive with the acquisition of a Vanek or a Vanek plus Dowd. That added confidence boost could propel them into the playoffs and a deep cup run. If you are a bubble team but you think your window is open like say Anaheim, you go for it. Oh by the way did I mention confidence? Very important for athletes and their team.

Get whatever you can with Vanek. Even if it's a 3rd or 4th round pick. He's expressed interest in coming back to Van after the season, why not get a pick for him. 

Vanek to Tampa inexchange for their 1st round pick?

6 hours ago, CanuckGAME said:

If Rick Nash got that return then Vanek should return a 1st. Like come on.  The Bruins paid that price based on his name. Nash is a name player. Wtf has he done lately?

Rick Nash sucks, he is worth no more then a second round pick on his name?? He will be 34 in June only 28 points.. Last 2 yrs he has done nothing..Boston paid way to much.. Just crazy

38 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Get whatever you can with Vanek. Even if it's a 3rd or 4th round pick. He's expressed interest in coming back to Van after the season, why not get a pick for him. 

Vanek to Tampa inexchange for their 1st round pick?

I haven't read through this whole thing to know what's already been discussed - but Nash got a buttload and Plekanek got a 2nd.

Doesnt that mean that Vanek has got to land at least a 2nd plus?

1 minute ago, nzan said:

I haven't read through this whole thing to know what's already been discussed - but Nash got a buttload and Plekanek got a 2nd.

1 minute ago, nzan said:

Yes it does, Grabner is better then Nash and he only got a 2nd and a prospect...Nash to Boston for 5 players, great great deal for NYR...

5 minutes ago, nzan said:

If someone wants him as bad yes ... otherwise it all depends on who's interested. 

22 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

If someone wants him as bad yes ... otherwise it all depends on who's interested. 

It’s a seller’s market right now. Vanek for a 1st or a top prospect might be far fetched but certainly not impossible.

35 minutes ago, nzan said:

you're right. Vermette also fetched a 1st round pick and a prospect, roughly the same age.

Vanek should return a 3rd at the minimum.

Something like a 3rd with a condition, if the team that acquires him makes it to the conference finals the 3rd turns into a 2nd. That would make me happy.

A 2nd round pick straight up which isn't far fetched with the market right now would make me ecstatic.

Main thing is to actually acquire draft picks though lol

18 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

Pretty much this. I don't believe that you can compare apples and oranges. If someone sees a player they want, then they will pay what they believe is fair for them.

Name/rep, past record, w/e are variables with each team out there. Some might give a 1st for Vanek if they felt that there was a need. Others might only be willing to offer a 3rd or a 4th.

regards,  G.

Archived