The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

GDT - VANCOUVER VS TAMPA BAY

Where'd Luongo?

4 minutes ago, NHTyrany said:

So much negativity and fire Jim chatter. Wow, the team has bottomed out and is re-stocking the cupboards after a huge gut towards a cup that almost succeeded. Give Benning a chance to get rid of some NM contracts and rebuild through the draft. It's going well in my opinion. I only wish we would have truly tanked last year.

The draft is not the problem, I don't think anyone has a problem with that.

The thing is his signings are part of the problem. It's one thing to get rid of bad contracts, it's another to replace them with new bad ones.

So far none of his trades or signings are really paying off. If the next step is to build up a team around the young rookies, I'm not sure if he's the guy or not.

Not uncommon to see one GM build up the foundation of a team and another add the pieces to put them over the top.

12 minutes ago, Horvats_Big_Head said:

So was this the grand plan Trevor and Jim? Or should I say Beavis and Butthead?

9 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Methinks Benning isn't getting a new contract. Hopefully the same goes for the Sedins. 

8 minutes ago, appleboy said:

You know it would be much easier to watch knowing that we are rebuilding. You should never tell fans that you are going to be competitive and then supply this mess. You would be far better off to tell the fans that things are going to ruff for a while. Now if you give them more then what was promised then you get happy fans. We never like to get far less then what was promised. You should always under sell yourself.........

This is a major PR disaster. !!!!!!

6 minutes ago, khay said:

Yeah i think so too. If I'm the owner, i see that product on the ice... it's hard. I too would look for better options.

Looks like the honeymoon is over for Benning, although there are a lot of Benning loyalists on CDC.

When Benning was hired he announced two objectives -- to be a competitive (playoff?) team and develop young players.

The first has been an abysmal failure. Over the last 3 years (including this year) the Canucks have been maybe the worst team in the NHL overall -- certainly in the bottom 2 or 3. And that is despite spending to the cap and having Horvat in the system when Benning took over.

As for developing young players, obviously the Boeser pick was a big win. And there are some high potential players in the system (esp. Pettersson). But given the draft picks Benning had or could have had if he had traded for draft picks instead of trading them away, his performance in that area is no better than so-so.

3 minutes ago, NHTyrany said:

So much negativity and fire Jim chatter. Wow, the team has bottomed out and is re-stocking the cupboards after a huge gut towards a cup that almost succeeded. Give Benning a chance to get rid of some NM contracts and rebuild through the draft. It's going well in my opinion.

CDC needs a box of Kleenex and fresh diapers on nights like this.  It's hopeless, fire management, trade all the players, burn it down...

"But we can handle a rebuild..."

:rolleyes:

Just now, JamesB said:

Looks like the honeymoon is over for Benning, although there are a lot of Benning loyalists on CDC.

When Benning was hired he announced two objectives -- to be a competitive (playoff?) team and develop young players.

The first has been an abysmal failure. Over the last 3 years (including this year) the Canucks have been maybe the worst team in the NHL overall -- certainly in the bottom 2 or 3. And that is despite spending to the cap and having Horvat in the system when Benning took over.

As for developing young players, obviously the Boeser pick was a big win. And there are some high potential players in the system (esp. Pettersson). But given the draft picks Benning had or could have had if he had traded for draft picks instead of trading them away, his performance in that area is no better than so-so.

As much as I love the sedins, I believe it’s them that have completely anchored this team. Until they’re gone, we’re gonna be stuck watching sub par AHL team try to compete in the NHL 

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The draft is not the problem, I don't think anyone has a problem with that.

The thing is his signings are part of the problem. It's one thing to get rid of bad contracts, it's another to replace them with new bad ones.

So far none of his trades or signings are really paying off. If the next step is to build up a team around the young rookies, I'm not sure if he's the guy or not.

Not uncommon to see one GM build up the foundation of a team and another add the pieces to put them over the top.

That's how Brian Burke won the cup, and has ridden the 'hockey genius' moniker to tune of ten$ of million$ since.

Archived