The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Canucks shopping G Anders Nilsson (Friedman)

Rush17

9 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Nilsson Hutton and a 2nd rounder for Domi. Why does Arizona do this? Cause I said so. Why do we do this? Cause I don't want those players.

Can't be giving up that 2nd, not for Domi. That 2nd is pretty much a late 1st becauuse it'll be on top of the board. 

Hutton and a B grade prospect should get Domi. He has struggled mightily. He's not worth a top five 2nd.  A late 2nd or early 3rd, sure, but not Canucks 2nd. 

12 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Can't be giving up that 2nd, not for Domi. That 2nd is pretty much a late 1st becauuse it'll be on top of the board. 

Hutton and a B grade prospect should get Domi. He has struggled mightily. He's not worth a top five 2nd.  A late 2nd or early 3rd, sure, but not Canucks 2nd. 

Max Domi is 22 soon to be 23, no where near his prime yet. I am not worried about giving up a high second rounder that'll likely be 3-4 years away from even being ready to sniff the NHL. If he's even someone that'll make the NHL, cause there are no guarantees. I don't value that second round lottery ticket enough to turn down a deal involving a guy that has proven he can put up a decent amount of points on the worst team in the league the last 3 years. He's averaging almost .6 points per game in Arizona. A team that drafts top 5 seemingly every year. We are giving up a soon to be 25 year old that is having trouble cracking our suspect D core, a B prospect and a 2nd rounder for a guy that has proven he can give you 50ish points in 80 games. Honestly the only things of value in this deal are that 2nd rounder and the B prospect. Lottery tickets for a sure thing. Domi is intriguing enough in my eyes that I making a move for him. Domi - Bo - Boeser could do some damage. He may even be the Marchand, point wise not rat wise, to Bo's Bergeron.

Of course this depends on what you'd consider a B prospect in our system. I do value quite a few of our prospects very highly. So if it were like Dahlen or Lind or someone like that I say heck to the no. Now that I look at it I am not sure which B prospect I'd be willing to part with. DiPietro maybe? Then we really gotta hope Demko pans out. Kinda risky. Gadjovich? Not sure I want to lose him. He is mature beyond his years and could be a future leader for our team. Gaudette? Really like his game and I think he'll be the "foundational" piece we build around after Sutter. Dang. Now I am second guessing myself as I type this out. It's not the pick that is giving me pause though. Just our prospects. I really do like them all. Virtanen still considered a B prospect? I'd look at moving him and a 2nd for Domi. 

Getting a bit off topic though. My apologies.

5 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

More than Domi? People really do overrate draft picks round here.

If it was a 2nd that we acquired in another deal for Domi, sure I'd do it, but let's face it, that isn't going to happen and especially not if you only include Hutton and Nilsson as you proposed. 

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Max Domi is 22 soon to be 23, no where near his prime yet. I am not worried about giving up a high second rounder that'll likely be 3-4 years away from even being ready to sniff the NHL. If he's even someone that'll make the NHL, cause there are no guarantees. I don't value that second round lottery ticket enough to turn down a deal involving a guy that has proven he can put up a decent amount of points on the worst team in the league the last 3 years. He's averaging almost .6 points per game in Arizona. A team that drafts top 5 seemingly every year. We are giving up a soon to be 25 year old that is having trouble cracking our suspect D core, a B prospect and a 2nd rounder for a guy that has proven he can give you 50ish points in 80 games. Honestly the only things of value in this deal are that 2nd rounder and the B prospect. Lottery tickets for a sure thing. Domi is intriguing enough in my eyes that I making a move for him. Domi - Bo - Boeser could do some damage. He may even be the Marchand, point wise not rat wise, to Bo's Bergeron.

Of course this depends on what you'd consider a B prospect in our system. I do value quite a few of our prospects very highly. So if it were like Dahlen or Lind or someone like that I say heck to the no. Now that I look at it I am not sure which B prospect I'd be willing to part with. DiPietro maybe? Then we really gotta hope Demko pans out. Kinda risky. Gadjovich? Not sure I want to lose him. He is mature beyond his years and could be a future leader for our team. Gaudette? Really like his game and I think he'll be the "foundational" piece we build around after Sutter. Dang. Now I am second guessing myself as I type this out. It's not the pick that is giving me pause though. Just our prospects. I really do like them all. Virtanen still considered a B prospect? I'd look at moving him and a 2nd for Domi. 

Getting a bit off topic though. My apologies.

That 2nd may be a gamble pick, but look what it landed us, Kole Lind. Lind could just as easily put up 50 points a season, maybe not as immediate of an impact as Domi, but we are in a rebuild and we have time to spare. 2nd round picks are valued because there are a lot of hidden gems uncovered in this round (huge list of players) that are franchise changers. Let's not forget that Domi is in a contract year and who knows what his demands are (if they are reasonable, why is Arizona looking to potentially move such a quality player that you're suggesting for as little as you're proposing) and that potential 2nd rounder will have a few years on an ELC. I think we need to keep reminding ourselves that we are in a rebuild and we are still a few years away, so it is best to hang onto our picks especially in the position we are in at each round.

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

If it was a 2nd that we acquired in another deal for Domi, sure I'd do it, but let's face it, that isn't going to happen and especially not if you only include Hutton and Nilsson as you proposed. 

That 2nd may be a gamble pick, but look what it landed us, Kole Lind. Lind could just as easily put up 50 points a season, maybe not as immediate of an impact as Domi, but we are in a rebuild and we have time to spare. 2nd round picks are valued because there are a lot of hidden gems uncovered in this round (huge list of players) that are franchise changers. Let's not forget that Domi is in a contract year and who knows what his demands are (if they are reasonable, why is Arizona looking to potentially move such a quality player that you're suggesting for as little as you're proposing) and that potential 2nd rounder will have a few years on an ELC. I think we need to keep reminding ourselves that we are in a rebuild and we are still a few years away, so it is best to hang onto our picks especially in the position we are in at each round.

Besides that we need D. Badly. If we draft a dman with our first pick I could see trying to snag Domi. Our second will be very high and valuable if part of the offer.

6 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

More than Domi? People really do overrate draft picks round here.

Look at the players who were picked around the second round pick that we gave up for Guddy. Some of those players are in the league and being productive. Plus we would still have McCann. If you draft well they are very important.

4 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Exactly right! The 2018 Draft is critical to the Canucks. More important that Benning deal at the TDL to pick up another 1st & 2nd Rounders, not to deal any. Strong draft. Your point about top 5, 2nd rounder is so true! 

Can’t see anyone wanting Nilsson except as Maybe a waiver wire pick up.

At best a conditional 6th/7th or a Career AHLer in return. 

I suspect waivers are in his future. 

Then as much I think  Bachman would/should /could fill in for the remainder of this” stay competitive refool”season,  I could see JB trading a pick to get a backup from another sad sack team.

2 hours ago, rekker said:

Besides that we need D. Badly. If we draft a dman with our first pick I could see trying to snag Domi. Our second will be very high and valuable if part of the offer.

If we are trading our 2nd, I rather it be for a quality young dman or using that pick for another dman available that has potentially fallen a bit ( eg Timmins nearly fell to our pick). That is where we are hurting right now. Domi will be another scoring winger that we have plenty up and coming through the system. I'll give you that Domi plays with more edge than most of our up and coming wingers, but it's not enough for me to give up a valuable asset that doesn't fill a major need for us (plus the fact that it'll probably cost us more than just the 2nd).

31 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

If we are trading our 2nd, I rather it be for a quality young dman or using that pick for another dman available that has potentially fallen a bit ( eg Timmins nearly fell to our pick). That is where we are hurting right now. Domi will be another scoring winger that we have plenty up and coming through the system. I'll give you that Domi plays with more edge than most of our up and coming wingers, but it's not enough for me to give up a valuable asset that doesn't fill a major need for us (plus the fact that it'll probably cost us more than just the 2nd).

This. I've noted as well how Timmins almost fell to us. I love Lind but man cpuld we use a prospect like Timmins. Remember that second round isn't subject to lottery. We will be high up again .

2 hours ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

overpayment for Nilsson

If Thatcher is ready. Waive him after the deadline if no deals are reached.  If he gets claimed he's off the books. If he goes down he can tandom with Bachman or Demko until the playoffs.

Does anyone know the playoff eligibility deadline for players?  I know we waived cracknall for an eventual AHL run but he was claimed by Dallas I believe.  If you are not waived by a certain date you cannot play in the AHL playoffs.  Could help the squad down the stretch tho if he doesn't meet cut off.

2 hours ago, Rush17 said:

If Thatcher is ready. Waive him after the deadline if no deals are reached.  If he gets claimed he's off the books. If he goes down he can tandom with Bachman or Demko until the playoffs.

Does anyone know the playoff eligibility deadline for players?  I know we waived cracknall for an eventual AHL run but he was claimed by Dallas I believe.  If you are not waived by a certain date you cannot play in the AHL playoffs.  Could help the squad down the stretch tho if he doesn't meet cut off.

TDL. 

11 hours ago, theo5789 said:

We aren't gonna draft a Lind every year in the second round though, and even then he could do next to nothing at the NHL level. Most of us were surprised he even dropped that far. Yes we are in a rebuild, Domi is 22 right now. Lol. He's no where near his prime. In a few years when we are ready to compete like you say he'll be 25-26. I agree we should be stock piling picks but if young guys like Domi are on the market you'd be crazy not to at least consider throwing a second rounder for the guy. We don't need to worry about ELCs. We have a ton of cap coming off the books with the Sedins, eventually Dorsett, Edler is likely gone next year. Sedins will make less than their combined 14 mil next year. Edler and Dorsett's contracts are both up next year I am pretty sure. It is worrying to see what Domi's contract demands might be, I doubt it's as crazy as people make it out to be. Maybe he'd enjoy the fact he'll be reunited with Bo. Considering he is having a somewhat poor offensive season he likely signs a 1 or 2 year bridge deal. Nothing to worry about.

2014 NHL draft, 2 players from the second round have played more than 80 games. 2013 NHL draft, 3 players in the second round have played more than 80 games. And looking at that draft there's maybe 2 guys that'll turn into impact players for their team. 2012 has maybe one guy I'd consider good player drafted in the second round. The rest are 3rd liners at best. 3rd pairing defencemen. No one I'd consider better than Domi, or even close to better than Domi. 2015 draft has Sprong and Aho that jump out at me everyone else I wouldn't say will come near what Domi has proven he can do in the NHL. Saad and Kucherov are massive 2nd rounders from the 2011 draft. Generally there have been 2 really good 2nd round players in the last 5 drafts, everyone else is bottom 6 forwards or 3rd pairing defencemen. The odds really aren't that great for that second rounder to be anything special that we can't find for cheap in a trade or free agency. Sure we "could" find a Kucherov, or a Saad, or a Aho. Or we could find a Jeremy Roy, a Kochlachev, a Frk. I will admit I'd be much more open to moving a 2nd rounder if we had an additional 1st or 2nd but I am not dead set on holding picks in favor or possibly acquiring good young "proven" talent. Yes, it's always exciting around draft time. Which new shiny toy will we get? But that doesn't make them more valuable than proven NHLers, especially ones that are still super young. 

Archived