The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Canucks shopping G Anders Nilsson (Friedman)

Rush17

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

based on the backup not working hard in practice? i think thats a stretch to call that a locker room issue. 

I believe the locker room issue isn't just with Nilsson. But an accumulation of players who lack the you play like you practice mentality.  Nilsson, Hutton, Pouliot, Jake, Goldie, and I'm sure a few others fall into this category.  

If your gonna wear the blue and green. You need to bleed the blue and green. Coach wants only players who buy into his system.  This is a nice shift from the Willie era.

It's a locker room wide divide not caused by a single player. You can whip the players into focus for a practice or two but if they cannot adopt it or are born with it they will just revert back into old habits.  By now Green should know who's able to buy in and who isn't a fit.  Archie was his poster boy for playing the right way in Utica.  He's been added to help with that culture by being a role model for the kids.  Green will be referencing Archie a lot when kids complain about ice time.

5 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I believe the locker room issue isn't just with Nilsson. But an accumulation of players who lack the you play like you practice mentality.  Nilsson, Hutton, Pouliot, Jake, Goldie, and I'm sure a few others fall into this category.  

If your gonna wear the blue and green. You need to bleed the blue and green. Coach wants only players who buy into his system.  This is a nice shift from the Willie era.

It's a locker room wide divide not caused by a single player. You can whip the players into focus for a practice or two but if they cannot adopt it or are born with it they will just revert back into old habits.  By now Green should know who's able to buy in and who isn't a fit.  Archie was his poster boy for playing the right way in Utica.  He's been added to help with that culture by being a role model for the kids.  Green will be referencing Archie a lot when kids complain about ice time.

I would imagine a lot of teams have that issue, but its probably amplified by being on a rebuilding club. I'm actually OK with it, lets find out now who's willing to put the work in day to day no matter what and jettison the rest. That seems like a long list but could be. 

16 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Just an outsider's perspective but I get the feeling that the latter three are at least trying to get it. And with enough guys who do get it, would probably be pulled in the appropriate direction.

That's just my sense on it though, not based on any direct quotes/info etc

Also not to say that those guys couldn't me moved/packaged either.

5 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

This screams "Demko is ready" to me. Sounds like the head brass is ready to give him a shot at some NHL games soon.

Could be they go with Markstrom as #1 down the stretch and spot in Demko, to see where he's at.  Then next year roll with the same combo or sign another guy short-term as backup.  Hopefully that's a sign of a bigger full-on kids movement post-TDL in which we see the likes of Goldy, Holm, even Carcone and McEwen and others brought in.

58 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

1040 saying Green and Nillson aren't on the same page about level of focus at practice

It seems to me that Nilsson was playing really well up until the point when he had his child and then he lost his focus and things have gone south from there. Lots of players have children but are able to maintain their level of play, it is required. I do agree that the issue has been with him, sadly.

Montoya went for a 4th

Pickard went for a 6th and a low grade prospect

Wedgewood for a 5th

i see no reason why canucks wouldn’t be able to get a 4th and a 7th for Nillson. Imo that’s worth it. 

Only downside is it leaves Utica without their MVP when we call up demko

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Islanders looking for a goalie.  Quality middle 6 player and a top 4 defenceman

They hold 2 firsts and 2 seconds.

Both 1sts could potentially be lottery picks.

Cough cough package deal cough cough

Snow said yesterday that they’re not trading high picks for rental players. 

To that end, Snow said he will not make moves out of panic as the Islanders remain close to a berth. “We have obviously two first-round picks, two second-round picks . . . We’re a team that’s right on the edge of getting in the playoffs and not being in the playoffs.

“So, are we going to at this point in time, be giving first round picks and high picks for rental players? I don’t think we’re in that position. Just doesn’t make sense.’’

I think if Benning is back next season (and I hope he is), he will look for a goalie he feels is reliable and maybe with some experience on the free agent market or through trade. I think he likes what he had with Ryan Miller.   He may want to find someone who can support both Markstrom and Demko for the next couple of seasons.

2 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

Montoya went for a 4th

Pickard went for a 6th and a low grade prospect

Wedgewood for a 5th

i see no reason why canucks wouldn’t be able to get a 4th and a 7th for Nillson. Imo that’s worth it. 

Only downside is it leaves Utica without their MVP when we call up demko

How do you figure Nilsson is worth more than Montoya? Montoya is a much more reliable backup. 

Archived