The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Archibald seems to have found a home on the team

*Buzzsaw*

11 hours ago, RonMexico said:

The knock is likely going to be consistency. In his role, he can't afford any nights off.

thats one of the things i dont like when people describe anything about a player. i get it, he's kinda got some fan fair; he's a fan favourite, because as canucks fans, we'll look for anything to be positive about someone, so he'll be under the microscope to some-- but from what little we've seen from archibald, he's been okay. he does his job, and thats all we can really ask for. he's a fresh face on a team that desperately needs to rid itself of the old timers (thank you for your service: your blood, sweat and tears, heartbreak and triumph, your community work, we could go on, and on, but it's time to go. you've done your service) but i understand its not "that easy"

i do hope we see more from this guy going forward but i also understand that we still have the old timers, with tenure, he has to compete with so i understand that his services are better put to use to make utica as strong as possible to make the younger guys in the system's transition a little easier, because he has been called up, he knows what the leagues about

i feel people dont truly understand what a strong farm team makes. like, i get it. we want results now, its a results based business, and i guess canucks fans feel "entitled" to results for various reasons (don't get salty, it's true). we see these guys light it up in their junior leagues and go, okay, they're ready-- start the buy outs!~ and thats why i like how management has handled things in honouring some of our vets' service to this team by keeping them around (you couldn't say that many moons ago when we had talent "stacked" with the likes of shirokov, schroeder, rahimi, etc. they were those guys were gonna bring us the cup!) because they are still "good enough" to compete with the league, but allowing more time for our younger guys to build themselves, get some chemistry in the minors, so that when they're ready to be called up, they're ready for the big show and make an impact, instead of having a few good games and fizzling out (cody who?)

i get he's a little older but that kinda happens when we have an old core who can't be moved. its not they dont want to do business, if they feel they can still offer something to the team, then they have every right to choose to stay. in archibalds case, it seems like he was at the wrong place at the wrong time, being buried in the minors for so many years, but he never gave up his dream to be an nhl player, and while his nhl career will be shorter than most, he's going to make every shift count; lead by example

i doubt he'll be one of those guys who we'll complain about "having a night off" but as canucks fans, i wouldn't count him out being turned on

7 hours ago, oldnews said:

yeah, Archie is a nice fit with Sutter imo - helps with some of the heavy lifting and might chip in some goals playing with Sutter, who imo is an under-rated counterpuncher as a shutdown/matchup guy.  He and Dorsett produced their shared of chances on ice tilted against them, and it's lookinig like he and Archie could do the same.  Really like the look of that line with either Gaunce or Motte on it - that is not an easy line to produce against.

Archie, biega, Dorsett - a team needs these motors.  Every night you get the same effort.  As you say, Darren Archibald can chip in with a few goals  -  the likes of which some players will not score.

5 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

thats one of the things i dont like when people describe anything about a player. i get it, he's kinda got some fan fair; he's a fan favourite, because as canucks fans, we'll look for anything to be positive about someone, so he'll be under the microscope to some-- but from what little we've seen from archibald, he's been okay. he does his job, and thats all we can really ask for. he's a fresh face on a team that desperately needs to rid itself of the old timers (thank you for your service: your blood, sweat and tears, heartbreak and triumph, your community work, we could go on, and on, but it's time to go. you've done your service) but i understand its not "that easy"

i do hope we see more from this guy going forward but i also understand that we still have the old timers, with tenure, he has to compete with so i understand that his services are better put to use to make utica as strong as possible to make the younger guys in the system's transition a little easier, because he has been called up, he knows what the leagues about

i feel people dont truly understand what a strong farm team makes. like, i get it. we want results now, its a results based business, and i guess canucks fans feel "entitled" to results for various reasons (don't get salty, it's true). we see these guys light it up in their junior leagues and go, okay, they're ready-- start the buy outs!~ and thats why i like how management has handled things in honouring some of our vets' service to this team by keeping them around (you couldn't say that many moons ago when we had talent "stacked" with the likes of shirokov, schroeder, rahimi, etc. they were those guys were gonna bring us the cup!) because they are still "good enough" to compete with the league, but allowing more time for our younger guys to build themselves, get some chemistry in the minors, so that when they're ready to be called up, they're ready for the big show and make an impact, instead of having a few good games and fizzling out (cody who?)

i get he's a little older but that kinda happens when we have an old core who can't be moved. its not they dont want to do business, if they feel they can still offer something to the team, then they have every right to choose to stay. in archibalds case, it seems like he was at the wrong place at the wrong time, being buried in the minors for so many years, but he never gave up his dream to be an nhl player, and while his nhl career will be shorter than most, he's going to make every shift count; lead by example

i doubt he'll be one of those guys who we'll complain about "having a night off" but as canucks fans, i wouldn't count him out being turned on

All I meant was when you are a bottom 6 forward and a guy who was had the knock of inconsistency in the past, if you mail it in on any given night it typically has a negative effect on your usage. It's how it goes when you have been a fringe NHLer up to this point. It would be great if he finally seized the opportunity to carve a regular spot when it was there for the taking which he looks have so far this season.

7 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

All I meant was when you are a bottom 6 forward and a guy who was had the knock of inconsistency in the past, if you mail it in on any given night it typically has a negative effect on your usage. It's how it goes when you have been a fringe NHLer up to this point. It would be great if he finally seized the opportunity to carve a regular spot when it was there for the taking which he looks have so far this season.

Yeah and as long as he plays 'within' himself and sticking to that role. We've been desperate for a forechecking banger for a long time. His role compliments Bo's role. or any other scorer.

7 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Underlying stats don’t look particularly flattering. When he is on the ice the opposing team more often than not is controlling the play. Maybe I am missing something everyone else sees. Of course he is getting almost exclusively defensive zone starts. But his line isn’t great at retrieving the puck it seems. Watching him play kind of reinforces that statement.

With all that said I like the guy. I just think a healthy Gaunce would be better. A nice story, but I don’t really see him sticking as a permanent fixture in the lineup. Solid depth guy like Biega that you can plug in the lineup here and there but maybe not a full timer.

what should his 'underlying' stats look like?

here's what they are:

83.6%  defensive zone starts

39.3% corsi

Why would you expect them to / what would it take to be "flattering"?   How much "controlling the play" are you expecting?  

18 hours ago, chon derry said:

given that JB has said they would like to get an aggressive tough forward  I really hope that doesn't mean archie isn't staying , he bring's what we would have expected from pedan, he's also been as  loyal as pedan  was ,maybe not as vocal about being in Utica ,silently biding his time there, learning what it take's , but having watched archie in many utube vids he did look like he was really enjoying himself ,he's one of those player's that love's playin the game at any level.   

I'm thinking that Benning means as well as Archibald. Benning looks to be adding players of all sizes to the roster, which in my opinion is a very smart move. He's adding smaller, faster players who play with some feistiness, and larger, stronger players to not only counterbalance any opposing players of similar size, but also to provide a legitimately safer work environment for the skill on the team.

19 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Although his play has not been splashy or spectacular, I am liking what I am seeing from Darren Archibald.

He plays well on the shutdown line, he had some chemistry going with Sutter and Eriksson until the latter got himself injured.

And while he hasn't gotten in a lot of fights, (1?)  I am noticing a definite cooling in the tendency of other teams to try to play the intimidation card.  Arch is a big solid presence and all he has to do when there is a scrum where one of our smaller players is being confronted, is to scate over and the opposing side tends to duck their heads and fade into the background.

He is also chipping in offensively and definitely likes to hit.  I like the way he shows patience and doesn't panic.

Everyone loved Dorsett, but in many ways, Archibald accomplishes more without all the drama.... maybe not the offensive output, but he is still finding his way in the scoring area.

I have been pleasantly surprised by Archie. He has grasped his opportunity this time with both hands and shows a lot of good touches out there. 

Regarding the last para, he has a bit to go imo before he becomes the player Dorsett was but he is getting there.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

what should his 'underlying' stats look like?

here's what they are:

83.6%  defensive zone starts

39.3% corsi

Why would you expect them to / what would it take to be "flattering"?   How much "controlling the play" are you expecting?  

This is the thing about people and analytics

they forget that guys like Sutter and Archibald are matching up against guys like Crosby Mcdavid Kane and so on every game. Expecting these guys to hold on to the puck and control play is the wrong expectation. These guys have the job of wearing down and making the other teams’ scoring lines work hard

As for Archibald, he is the perfect 4th liner, picking up secondary shutdown and energy rolls. He shouldn’t be used as primary shutdown but as the way of the canucks roster everyone is asked to play above their capabilities a little.

i like him and his crashing and banging 

PS, this is to support you post @oldnews

9 hours ago, elvis15 said:

He's been ok regardless of what fancy stats say. And he and Gaunce are completely different players and each bring their own strengths.

I was worried he wasn't going to fit after his last chance, where he tried to play too high level a game like he was on the first line in Utica. He's brought aspects of both this time around though, like his first chance, but with a focus on being that bottom six guy first. He's not a world beater or anything, but he's done much better this time around and is still managing to contribute.

I’m not saying he’s garbage or anything, I like the guy. Just think he fits the same mold as Biega. Solid contributer when needed, but likely not a permanent guy in the lineup.

Archie is a keeper! Pushed hard his last 2-3 seasons to make noise in Utica. Was their captain and leading scorer last year. Big, fast and physical, sign me up! He makes the other big guys like Virt and Guddy play big and the smaller guys play bigger. Doesn't take $&!# and plays a determined game, sign him to a two year contract. Pitter patter, let's get at 'er

Archie is doing fine.  He is a player that this lightweight team needs.  He knows his role and he is playing well and he can pop in a few goals too.  He is playing well on the penalty kill and he brings sorely needed grit now that Dorse has retired.  He is great in the board battles.  PS  We need Guddy too.  I am hoping that he can stick with the team next season.

5 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Nashville wasn't afraid to spear Guds in the balls tonight...

Johansson smacked him in the man berries because he was too afraid to face him like a man. Hitting a dude in the junk is pretty much the wussiest thing someone can do 

To me he's a keeper, at least until we find an upgrade, and also think he play an important part in JVs career given he can learn from him on how to play that role in this league as a bottom six player.  Hit as often and as hard as you can within the rules without putting yourself and teammates out of position, and be the first one into a scrum to keep liberties from been taken.  To me it's also a story of not quitting and a feel good one at that.  Glad he's here.

Also I'm a fan of icing a big mean fourth line that can play 10-15 minutes a game killing penalties and making things miserable for the other team with relentless hitting and can skate well enough to shadow the league's best to get them off their game.  Then three scoring lines, one that can also play the shutdown role for teams that have twin good lines like Tampa Bay.   Archie fits that mould.

5 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

Johansson smacked him in the man berries because he was too afraid to face him like a man. Hitting a dude in the junk is pretty much the wussiest thing someone can do 

If that's how Nashville is going to play, I hope they're knocked out early from the playoffs. What a bunch on sissies. 

On 3/3/2018 at 8:11 AM, IBatch said:

To me he's a keeper, at least until we find an upgrade, and also think he play an important part in JVs career given he can learn from him on how to play that role in this league as a bottom six player.  Hit as often and as hard as you can within the rules without putting yourself and teammates out of position, and be the first one into a scrum to keep liberties from been taken.  To me it's also a story of not quitting and a feel good one at that.  Glad he's here.

Also I'm a fan of icing a big mean fourth line that can play 10-15 minutes a game killing penalties and making things miserable for the other team with relentless hitting and can skate well enough to shadow the league's best to get them off their game.  Then three scoring lines, one that can also play the shutdown role for teams that have twin good lines like Tampa Bay.   Archie fits that mould.

I agree on this , does anyone know if Raffi Torres has a kid?

2 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

I agree on this , does anyone know if Raffi Torres has a kid?

KT has a few ah#@$& kids, one plays for the flames and is doing pretty good, the other we could draft depending on what happens.  I never liked him when he was playing found him to be an arragont prick but couldn't help wanting him on our team.  Remember him beating on Murzyn three times in one game, like he didn't have the balls to fight Diduck, Odjick, Hunter or one of our better fighters and just wanted one of them to pound him into the ground.  

Brady seems to be a clone, we could do a lot worse, arragont brat entitled douche bag....but he would be our arragont entitled douche bag and make things difficult for goalies and defenseman league wide.

Archived