The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Archibald seems to have found a home on the team

*Buzzsaw*

Although his play has not been splashy or spectacular, I am liking what I am seeing from Darren Archibald.

He plays well on the shutdown line, he had some chemistry going with Sutter and Eriksson until the latter got himself injured.

And while he hasn't gotten in a lot of fights, (1?)  I am noticing a definite cooling in the tendency of other teams to try to play the intimidation card.  Arch is a big solid presence and all he has to do when there is a scrum where one of our smaller players is being confronted, is to scate over and the opposing side tends to duck their heads and fade into the background.

He is also chipping in offensively and definitely likes to hit.  I like the way he shows patience and doesn't panic.

Everyone loved Dorsett, but in many ways, Archibald accomplishes more without all the drama.... maybe not the offensive output, but he is still finding his way in the scoring area.

given that JB has said they would like to get an aggressive tough forward  I really hope that doesn't mean archie isn't staying , he bring's what we would have expected from pedan, he's also been as  loyal as pedan  was ,maybe not as vocal about being in Utica ,silently biding his time there, learning what it take's , but having watched archie in many utube vids he did look like he was really enjoying himself ,he's one of those player's that love's playin the game at any level.   

1 hour ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Although his play has not been splashy or spectacular, I am liking what I am seeing from Darren Archibald.

He plays well on the shutdown line, he had some chemistry going with Sutter and Eriksson until the latter got himself injured.

And while he hasn't gotten in a lot of fights, (1?)  I am noticing a definite cooling in the tendency of other teams to try to play the intimidation card.  Arch is a big solid presence and all he has to do when there is a scrum where one of our smaller players is being confronted, is to scate over and the opposing side tends to duck their heads and fade into the background.

He is also chipping in offensively and definitely likes to hit.  I like the way he shows patience and doesn't panic.

Everyone loved Dorsett, but in many ways, Archibald accomplishes more without all the drama.... maybe not the offensive output, but he is still finding his way in the scoring area.

what "drama"?

3 hours ago, chon derry said:

given that JB has said they would like to get an aggressive tough forward  I really hope that doesn't mean archie isn't staying , he bring's what we would have expected from pedan, he's also been as  loyal as pedan  was ,maybe not as vocal about being in Utica ,silently biding his time there, learning what it take's , but having watched archie in many utube vids he did look like he was really enjoying himself ,he's one of those player's that love's playin the game at any level.   

I think they will (should) add a  few more  players with sandpaper rather than have just one. Need that mix of Speed, Skill, Toughness in the lineup to be successful, can’t just be a one dementional team. Would love for JB to build a team similar to what Cheveldayoff has in Winnipeg. Would suit Greens style of wanting to play fast paced and physical. 

4 minutes ago, Tortorella’Rebuild said:

I think they will (should) add a  few more  players with sandpaper rather than have just one. Need that mix of Speed, Skill, Toughness in the lineup to be successful, can’t just be a one dementional team. Would love for JB to build a team similar to what Cheveldayoff has in Winnipeg. Would suit Greens style of wanting to play fast paced and physical. 

Winnipeg, I think, has the fewest fights this season, yet they are exactly as you say: big, mean, and play a physical game.  I think they intimidate other teams, especially BIG BUFF.  

Ive been impressed. He makes fewer mistakes than Virtanen and already has been rewarded offensively. I agree teams are taking less runs at us. I think Archie is more intimidating that Gaunce for example. I think he fits well on our team in terms of age and the fact that he has played for Green for so long. He has a shot and sticking with the team but he will need to keep producing offensively and being physical. 

35 minutes ago, Tortorella’Rebuild said:

There are a few in the pipeline.  Lind, Gadjovich to name a couple

As far as Archie goes, we know JB doesn't make final decisions until he has to but as long as Archie keeps up the good play, he may be sticking around.  I think he's still on audition.  It would be great if JB didn't have to give up another asset to get the sandpaper he wants.

3 hours ago, riffraff said:

Ya poor choice of words there.....woulda liked it if somebody else held the pims title though.

anyways,

Archie.  Love this guy.

yeah, Archie is a nice fit with Sutter imo - helps with some of the heavy lifting and might chip in some goals playing with Sutter, who imo is an under-rated counterpuncher as a shutdown/matchup guy.  He and Dorsett produced their shared of chances on ice tilted against them, and it's lookinig like he and Archie could do the same.  Really like the look of that line with either Gaunce or Motte on it - that is not an easy line to produce against.

Underlying stats don’t look particularly flattering. When he is on the ice the opposing team more often than not is controlling the play. Maybe I am missing something everyone else sees. Of course he is getting almost exclusively defensive zone starts. But his line isn’t great at retrieving the puck it seems. Watching him play kind of reinforces that statement.

With all that said I like the guy. I just think a healthy Gaunce would be better. A nice story, but I don’t really see him sticking as a permanent fixture in the lineup. Solid depth guy like Biega that you can plug in the lineup here and there but maybe not a full timer.

&^@# fancy stats. They don't take into account the specific opposition a particular player matches up against. What I would care about would be GA while Archibald's line is out on the ice. Archibald's line isn't one to drive play, typically speaking its a shutdown role meant to contain the particular line it's matched up against, so naturally the analytics are going to be skewed in favor of the opposition.

What I see with my eyes with Archibald on the team, and on the ice, is physicality, tenacity, shot blocks, penalty kills. It takes a cohesive line to work together to come out on top with the puck after pursuing it. Maybe look at the players Archibald is matched against. Last game it was Motte and Sutter.

The other thing I see is other teams taking fewer liberties with our players, he also brings a calming presence. He's not a flashy player, he's not going to wow you, but if he can be consistent, I think there's no reason he can't stick it out on the 4th line in a shutdown role.

54 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Underlying stats don’t look particularly flattering. When he is on the ice the opposing team more often than not is controlling the play. Maybe I am missing something everyone else sees. Of course he is getting almost exclusively defensive zone starts. But his line isn’t great at retrieving the puck it seems. Watching him play kind of reinforces that statement.

With all that said I like the guy. I just think a healthy Gaunce would be better. A nice story, but I don’t really see him sticking as a permanent fixture in the lineup. Solid depth guy like Biega that you can plug in the lineup here and there but maybe not a full timer.

He's been ok regardless of what fancy stats say. And he and Gaunce are completely different players and each bring their own strengths.

I was worried he wasn't going to fit after his last chance, where he tried to play too high level a game like he was on the first line in Utica. He's brought aspects of both this time around though, like his first chance, but with a focus on being that bottom six guy first. He's not a world beater or anything, but he's done much better this time around and is still managing to contribute.

11 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Archibald is definitely a keeper. Having him and Gudbranson on this team has had an impact on the tendencies for other teams to take liberties. They still do, but it's now in line with the league average.

Should ask the Dallas player how he felt after impact

200w.gif

Archived