The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Which rookies do you think will make the team next year?

After the trade deadline, the Canucks have a huge amount of players in their late teens and early twenties battling for a spot on the team next year. I know a lot of people want to see our prospects step up in training camp next year and earn a spot on the team (well, I guess everyone wants that). My question is who do you think will earn a spot? As far as I can tell, the players who *might* (emphasis on might) make the team next year are as follows:

Demko

Joulevi

Pettersson

Gaudette

Dahlen

Motte

2018 1st rnd pick (depends on who though)

Lind

Gadjovich

other 

of these guys, I think gaudette and Joulevi will both make the team out of camp next year, and Dahlen, Motte, and Demko will see time throughout the season as injury call-ups. If I had to guess, I’d say pettersson plays for Vaxjo again next year. 

Who do do you think makes the team next year out of camp? Who do you think will get chances for call ups during the year?

8 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

After the trade deadline, the Canucks have a huge amount of players in their late teens and early twenties battling for a spot on the team next year. I know a lot of people want to see our prospects step up in training camp next year and earn a spot on the team (well, I guess everyone wants that). My question is who do you think will earn a spot? As far as I can tell, the players who *might* (emphasis on might) make the team next year are as follows:

Demko

Joulevi

Pettersson

Gaudette

Dahlen

Motte

Lind

Gadjovich

other 

of these guys, I think gaudette and Joulevi will both make the team out of camp next year, and Dahlen, Motte, and Demko will see time throughout the season as injury call-ups. If I had to guess, I’d say pettersson plays for Vaxjo again next year. 

Who do do you think makes the team next year out of camp? Who do you think will get chances for call ups during the year?

Have highlighted the guys that I think have a serious chance at making the team next year. 2018 1st, really depends on who that is. If luck is with as and we get the 1st overall, I think its a pretty good chance.

The guys I've highlighted, I think will spend significant time here next year, with possible trips to Utica for additional fine tuning and top 6 playing time.

I say Gaudette is a lock for next year. Pettersson and Dahlen will get a few games in the end like Boeser did.

Joulevi will get a look at and so will Demko in between the season. Nilsson should be moved by the end of next season.

If we get Dahlin he gets to start the season

1 minute ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

I say Gaudette is a lock for next year. Pettersson and Dahlen will get a few games in the end like Boeser did.

Joulevi will get a look at and so will Demko in between the season. Nilsson should be moved by the end of next season.

If we get Dahlin he gets to start the season

IMO Nilsson, Del Zotto, and one of Grandlund/Gaunce will be gone before the season ends next year. 

We we have enough depth at those positions that there is no reason to hang on to all of them

12 minutes ago, Green Building said:

For some reason I have Gaudette over Pettersson as far as locks, but as JR @aGENT and I have been discussing, he could easily make the team. I think Juolevi stays in Europe or swings over to Utica. 

Dahlin makes the team straight outta the draft.

edit: s

I think Gaudette's probably got the best odds as he's older, plays a complete game and can play in a bottom 6 role. Don't really feel like those two are in direct competition though and they could easily both be on the team.

Without a LOT of movement, OJ starts in Utica IMO. And that's ok.

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think Gaudette's probably got the best odds as he's older, plays a complete game and can play in a bottom 6 role. Don't really feel like those two are in direct competition though and they could easily both be on the team.

Without a LOT of movement, OJ starts in Utica IMO. And that's ok.

Agreed about Gaudette, and it was never about direct comparison, just about who's more physically ready. 

edit: @aGENT realized I said "for some reason" even though I knew exactly what the reason was... especially since we discussed it 3 minutes prior to my post about it here. Jeez me.

Brisebois and Adam Gaudette will see time with the Canucks.  Brisebois is going to take Hutton's spot and keep it warm for Tryamkin who is coming back in 2020.  

Demko is the main man in Utica next year.  Petersson goes to Utica or stays in Sweden.  Juolevi is staying in Finland.  Lind, Gadjovich to Utica and might catch an odd game here or there at the end of the season when we're battling for the last position again.  

Those are just my guesses, teams usually only have one or two rookies per year although we will have room for quite a few.

I think Demko gets at least a few games. At most, he's the backup. Pettersson should push for a spot and I think Gaudette will push as well. I don't see any of the rest making a good run at it. I think Juolevi should play in Utica to re-adjust to the North American game again.

1 hour ago, Canadian Clay said:

Demko

Joulevi

Pettersson

Gaudette

Dahlen

Motte

Lind

Gadjovich

other 

I think Pettersson, Dahlen, and Gaudette will make it. 2018 draft pick will make it if it's Dahlin. If not, hard to say since we have no idea who it will be. 

Demko will get a call up. I think the management will try to upgrade in goal by signing or trading for someone new. I get a sense that the management prefers to overcook a goalie prospect than to bring him up too soon and ruin his confidence. So much of goaltending is mental that once you screw it up, you screw it up for good. 

I think Juolevi goes to the AHL to begin with. Partly because there is still room to grow for him and partly because there is no room on D, even though it's a shallow D, unless Hutton is traded.

Edler-Gudbranson

MDZ-Tanev

Pouliot-Stecher

Hutton-Biega

Juolevi

This is weak defence but I don't think Juolevi will be able to crack it right away. 

There should be several spots open for the rookies to win.  Maybe we should hold them all back, except Gaudette, one more year?  We are going to stink again with our two goalies, so waiting one more season for when ?Demko is ready, might be best?

I personally don't think we will or should see any of our rookies make the step in next year with the exception of Motte. Unless the Sedins leave (doubt they do), or Baertschi/someone is trade, there just aren't any spots. Plus it would be good for all the kids to develop in the AHL and play together. Let them start the year in Utica.

Dahlen-Pettersson-Lind

Gadj-Gaud-Labate

Juolevi-Chatfield

Brisebois-Boqvist

Demko

DiPietro

1 hour ago, Green Building said:

Would you like to make a friendly bet about Demko? I think you're wrong.

Well, I'm not positive he'll be ready, but I'm hoping. Do you think they'll trade one of their goalies+ for an upgrade? I thought they might bring Demko up next year, to backup Markstrom or Nilsson, but I guess that's still suspect goaltending. I don't think they'll go into next season with Markstrom and Nilsson. At least I hope they don't,

Gaudette will likely make it.

Pettersson will likely make it unless he is clearly physically overmatched.

Juolevi will likely make it unless he comes in and has a poor camp, in which case he'll start in the AHL. 

Goldobin has a good chance to make the team given he is waiver ineligible next year.

McEneny is in a similar position in terms of waivers, but he will have to demonstrate a full recovery from his injury. 

Dahlen has an outside chance at making it, but will most likely go to Utica. 

Motte will likely bounce around depending on injuries, etc. 

Lepisic likely has a decent chance, but I don't know if I see him on the roster with everyone healthy. 

Demko, Lind and Gadjovich should all be in Utica. Give Demko at least one more full year in Utica before he comes up and get's a few games. Lind and Gadjovich will learn to adapt to the pro game. 

2018 1st rounder makes it if we select, Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina or Tkachuk; otherwise, leave them in the CHL/Europe/NCAA. 

Archived