The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Facebooks ongoing data theft issue

Violator

Just got the notice apparently i was one of the people affected by this in canada thanks to somebody using "This is your digital life"

Anybody else part of the leak?

Also if you want to download your entire facebook profile which includes everything

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/04/09/facebook-to-notify-users-if-data-was-shared-with-cambridge-analytica.html

Its a video at the bottom of the article.

5184.jpg

I do believe there is more to this facebook is out to make money and determing how to make more probably means doing worse stuff than this.

Meanwhile the government illegally has been tracking your calls, emails, online history, and storing it since Moses wore short pants. Nobody cares. Facebook expectedly tracks your history but was used by a third entity for political purposes and everybody is pissed. Again, social warriors don't know how or where to direct their anger so of course nothing ever gets done.

4 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'm not one to care about privacy that much, but I don't think I was affected regardless.

one of the best lines I've heard about all this online data sharing so far is "if its free, you are the product" 

I also do not put any information on Facebook that I would not otherwise share online. However, if Facebook is making money off of our personal information I do believe that each user should be receiving a portion of the profits since without this information the company would not be making money hand over fist like it is.

Never used it.

Have no idea why its so attractive to so many, but people confuse me more and more these days.

And, didn't they say what ever you put on Facebook is the property of Facebook? People should not be surprised at all with this and realise that, despite your ego, you can be manipulated. As Jim said, you are the product.

14 minutes ago, DJSkingz said:

I also do not put any information on Facebook that I would not otherwise share online. However, if Facebook is making money off of our personal information I do believe that each user should be receiving a portion of the profits since without this information the company would not be making money hand over fist like it is.

yeah you might want to reread what jimmy posted 3 posts above you

and the post below you

did you really think facebook was offering you a complex and entirely free service ?

why would they do that ?
you do not understand how these so called free apps and services really work

there is nothing free in this world, and certainly not in the online world

11 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

And, didn't they say what ever you put on Facebook is the property of Facebook?

If that's the case how come the CEO is immune to prosecution whenever someone posts a sex vid of a girl without her permission?  There was a instance of an underage girl who later killed herself because a vid got posted while she was incapacitated.  How is facebook not liable for that?  They hosted the images.  All the millions this guy has made yet I bet thousands of people have killed themselves worldwide over something posted on facebook.  It's sickening.

Sorry to get dark here but these questions always come up whenever I hear or read about these stories, it happens all the time.

9 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

If that's the case how come the CEO is immune to prosecution whenever someone posts a sex vid of a girl without her permission?  There was a instance of an underage girl who later killed herself because a vid got posted while she was incapacitated.  How is facebook not liable for that?  They hosted the images.  All the millions this guy has made yet I bet thousands of people have killed themselves worldwide over something posted on facebook.  It's sickening.

Sorry to get dark here but these questions always come up whenever I hear or read about these stories, it happens all the time.

because the terms they agreed to indemnifies facebook. People need to understand that they have given away all their rights using that service. You can blame facebook all you want but no one forced you to use it. 

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

because the terms they agreed to indemnifies facebook. People need to understand that they have given away all their rights using that service. You can blame facebook all you want but no one forced you to use it. 

Federal laws trump user agreements though.  If 'victim' has her privacy breached from a vid she had no knowledge of and didn't post it how is facebook not liable for that?  At some point they hosted the images(deemed illegal by federal law), they shouldn't be off the hook for that.  The bolded part implies I was a user at some point, I've never used it once. 

2 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Federal laws trump user agreements though.  If 'victim' has her privacy breached from a vid she had no knowledge of and didn't post it how is facebook not liable for that?  At some point they hosted the images(deemed illegal by federal law), they shouldn't be off the hook for that.  The bolded part implies I was a user at some point, I've never used it once. 

yah but what exactly are you going after facebook for? whoever posted it agrees that its their responsibility. I think facebook also has a reporting system to alert them to things that should be taken down. It would be like going after Telus for allowing people to scam you online. 

8 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

It would be like going after Telus for allowing people to scam you online. 

Interesting story...

I have a 'friend' that worked for a major telecommunications company back when dial-up was still a thing.  A common scam at the time was for websites (usually adult oriented) to run a script that would turn off the user's speakers, disconnect their modem and dial a different number.  That number would then incur large long-distance charges on the customer's account.  The customer would then call the major telecommunications company to complain about the charges but in reality it was totally their own fault for not being careful online.

Archived