The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Baertschi, Granlund thrown lifeline to shore up their games - Kuzma

Gaudette Celly

Baertschi has been plagued by injury to some degree, so its been hard to get his rhythm going. He needs to improve, but i still see him having potential on a second line.

Granlund though, seems lost out there. Maybe he read his own press clippings after last season and thought he'd found his  magic bullet and it would all come easier now. And he would finally not have to hear his mommy harp on him "why can't you be more like your brother Mikael", who always comes up on top when you google "Granlund".   It just seems like as the season wore on, he began to lose his confidence as the goals didn't continue on from the season before, and then it became a chicken and egg thing where he didn't have the confidence to produce, and that lack of production affected his confidence. Resulting in his career spiraling downwards.  I hope its just a one year dip. If he earns a spot in training camp, I'm ok with giving him one more try. Truly earns it not like Gagner, Sutter and Eriksson's low bar will be at training camp because of their contracts. But he just looked defeated out there this year to me. If he comes back he should be on a very short leash.

Montreal.

Just read Byron is out 6 mos, with shoulder surgery. There's a lot of pressure on Habs, after this abysmal season. They've got FOUR freeken 2nd rounders. We need size/attitude, & 2nd's for JB to draft D men.

Van: Baer, Granny, Hutton or Pouliot.

MTL: 2 2018 2nd rounders( #35, & #55 OA picks)..so an early one, & later one.

Jordie Benn

Let's go big with the kids.

4 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Montreal.

Just read Byron is out 6 mos, with shoulder surgery. There's a lot of pressure on Habs, after this abysmal season. They've got FOUR freeken 2nd rounders. We need size/attitude, & 2nd's for JB to draft D men.

Jordie Benn

The Habs' farm team again missed the playoffs and have fired their head coach.  They have just as much pressure to rebuild their prospect pool because their drafting has been terrible.  They still don't need wingers - Scherbak is waiver eligible and will get the opportunity to fill in for Byron.  

1 minute ago, mll said:

The Habs' farm team again missed the playoffs and have fired their head coach.  They have just as much pressure to rebuild their prospect pool because their drafting has been terrible.  They still don't need wingers - Scherbak is waiver eligible and will get the opportunity to fill in for Byron.  

I see this move as more of a smoke screen.  Bergevin is the problem in Montreal.

Just now, mll said:

Can't believe they haven't canned Bergevin yet. Could see Pacc moved. Of course, they need C's. The Drouin experiment is already getting an odor.

You talk about renos, perhaps?..but I think they've got termites, & require a wrecking ball. Might be unpredictable, as to how far they go.

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

Baertschi has been plagued by injury to some degree, so its been hard to get his rhythm going. He needs to improve, but i still see him having potential on a second line.

On another team, maybe.  We have seen enough of him.  Flashes, here and there of offensive talent.  But mostly its soft, uninspired perimeter play chasing that is going on with Sven.  2nd line players arent benched multiple times a season in their.. 5th?.. 6th?  pro year.

Granlund though, seems lost out there. 

He played with Sutter on the checking line.  Not easy minutes, and a completely different assignment.  In a contract year, none the less.  Did you hear him bitch even once?  I didn't.  Him and Gaunce with Sutter is a hell of a 3rd line.

16 minutes ago, xereau said:

On another team, maybe.  We have seen enough of him.  Flashes, here and there of offensive talent.  But mostly its soft, uninspired perimeter play chasing that is going on with Sven.  2nd line players arent benched multiple times a season in their.. 5th?.. 6th?  pro year.

He played with Sutter on the checking line.  Not easy minutes, and a completely different assignment.  In a contract year, none the less.  Did you hear him bitch even once?  I didn't.  Him and Gaunce with Sutter is a hell of a 3rd line.

A third line in hell maybe.

56 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Montreal.

Jordie Benn

I honestly think there isn't any pressure on them. The only pressure would be to have themselves set up to tank the season after next, so they can draft Quebec born phenom Alexis Lafreniere at the 2020 draft. 

23 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

I'm of the same mind. Would've had back to back 20 goal seasons if not for the injuries. People can speak to offensive opportunity but its not like Bo himself is setting the world on fire yet, he's still improving and the two have shown good chemistry. I'd like to keep Baertschi around and see if the two can keep growing together.

Yes, but Bo did it much younger at 21 & 22? Drives play in every corner of the ice.  

But yes I do believe a 20 goal scorer should not be taken for granted. The perfect team will have 4 to 6, even 7 of them. Maybe not 7 in todays world, back in the day of Hawerchuck & Gretzky several teams hit that loft. Guys slashing, scoring off the counter attack, creating pressure.

The key is getting these guys playing extremely hard! Adding some of that pressure? And maybe hitting 20 goals from the 2knd line as we add more weapons? Baertschi for example, the 20 goal rate is fine, but needs more assists to be a top line player. But 20 goals and playing hard should keep him in the NHL a long time. Its a fine number for a 2knd line guy, exciting for a 3rd. Too many here are writing him off as transitional as soon as the ink on that story started to dry. 

Kane hovers around 50 points in a good year? But he also does that hovering around a more significant 30 goals. Those are not all star, but pretty acceptable numbers for a top line LW. 

11 minutes ago, apollo said:

How are these offers?

Sven 4 years - 2.95 AAV (NTC)

Or short term Sven 2 years - 2.15 AAV

Markus 5 years - 2 mill AAV... safe contract like (NTC)

or Short term 2 years 1.5 AAV

I thought short term deals would get more $s than long term..."show me" are a completely different situation, which usually are less money and short term. Baer will be negotiating a "show me" contract.

24 minutes ago, apollo said:

How are these offers?

:sick:  for the long term options

NTCs???  Channeling your inner Gillis?

Benning is calling them out to step up.  So, no long term contracts until they have earned it, and sure as hell no NTCs.  Maaaaybe if Baer jumps to 1 ppg kind of production, but I don't see any viable situation where Granny gets that kind of opportunity and result.

Short term ones might be ok.

FTR, I think our kids have more upside(Lind, Dahlen, EP, Virt). Try to hold onto these two, & we'd have to protect them(future expansion). 1 yr deals are okay, & possibly deal them at TDL, if the price is right.

So I'd just as soon trade them for two 2nd's. Sign a hitting, grinding UFA LW, if need be(short term).

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Yes, but Bo did it much younger at 21 & 22? Drives play in every corner of the ice.  

But yes I do believe a 20 goal scorer should not be taken for granted. The perfect team will 4 to 6, even 7 of them. Maybe not 7 in todays world, back in the day of Hawerchuck & Gretzky several teams hit that loft. Guys slashing, scoring off the counter attack, creating pressure.

The key is getting these guys playing extremely hard! Adding some of that pressure? And maybe hitting 20 goals from the 2knd line as we add more weapons? Baertschi for example, the 20 goal rate is fine, but needs more assists to be a top line player. But 20 goals and playing hard should keep him in the NHL a long time. Its a fine number for a 2knd line guy, exciting for a 3rd. Too many here are writing him off as transitional as soon as the ink on that story started to dry. 

Kane hovers around 50 points in a good year? But he also does that hovering around a more significant 30 goals. Those are not all star, but pretty acceptable numbers for a top line LW. 

Kane is also a whole lot harder to play against fwiw. 

2 hours ago, apollo said:

How are these offers?

Ntc and Sven and Markus shouldn't be in a sentence.  Ever.

Archived