• Noah Dobson
    • Barrett Hayton
    • Oliver Wahlstrom
    • Brady Tkachuk
    • Other
  3. 3. Third Choice

4. 4. Do Not Want

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/22/2018 at 07:00 AM

If I was going to trade up from 10th to 7th, You could probably just offer either nurse or pullijarvi and switch the picks.  Both have stellar underlying numbers and both would address an organisational need.  You could try bending Chiarelli over, but I don't think it is completely necessary.  You want something more, then you go with a trade that would involve Lucic, Nurse, and the 10th plus 2nd, for Baertschi, 7th and a 3rd.  It is a high 2nd, so you get a good prospect out of the deal, and make them eat 2 million of Lucic's salary.

Oh, and to the post, I say Hughes, Dobson, Tkachuk, and no to Bouchard.  I like the idea of having both Hughes brothers, with us winning first over all at our draft party.  Dobson I think is a solid addition who will definitely be a 2nd pairing with top pairing upside.  Tkachuk, because f' you Calgary!.  And no to Bouchard because I think he's over-rated.

22 hours ago, aGENT said:

Their 1st, 2nd and Poolparty?

LOL that is a major over payment by EDM to go up 3 spots considering the level of prospects available may be similar. Poolparty and the 10th is an over payment but that may be required to trade within the division.

11 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

LOL that is a major over payment by EDM to go up 3 spots considering the level of prospects available may be similar. Poolparty and the 10th is an over payment but that may be required to trade within the division.

2 hours ago, 867-five-309 said:

Wow, that seems absolutely ridiculous.

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

It is :lol:

5 hours ago, Solinar said:

If I was going to trade up from 10th to 7th, You could probably just offer either nurse or pullijarvi and switch the picks.  Both have stellar underlying numbers and both would address an organisational need.  You could try bending Chiarelli over, but I don't think it is completely necessary.  You want something more, then you go with a trade that would involve Lucic, Nurse, and the 10th plus 2nd, for Baertschi, 7th and a 3rd.  It is a high 2nd, so you get a good prospect out of the deal, and make them eat 2 million of Lucic's salary.

Oh, and to the post, I say Hughes, Dobson, Tkachuk, and no to Bouchard.  I like the idea of having both Hughes brothers, with us winning first over all at our draft party.  Dobson I think is a solid addition who will definitely be a 2nd pairing with top pairing upside.  Tkachuk, because f' you Calgary!.  And no to Bouchard because I think he's over-rated.

If that deal was even remotely on the board because Edmonton wanted to move up, I bet Ottawa would give up 4th overall for it (or even Arizona or Detroit) and Edmonton would get whoever they covet so badly for sure and they won't have to worry about the deal biting them in the ass by moving them to a divisional rival.

Chiarelli would surpass Milbury or be right in his wheelhouse if he offered 10th and Puljujarvi or Nurse to move up to 7th.

If the Oilers were targeting #7 because a player is still available there and they must move up to get him at the draft, I imagine the offer would be their 10th overall and their 2nd rounder for 7th overall and our 3rd rounder. 

On 5/2/2018 at 7:43 PM, luckylager said:

Boqvist 

Bouchard 

Wahlstrom 

No Tkachuk 

No chance Tkachuk is available at 7 anyways.

Dahlin
Zadina
Svechnikov
Tkachuck
Boqvist
Walhstrom
Bouchard
Dobson
Kotkaniemi
Hughes

Book it :P, That's the draft order.

Why would EDM give up a significant player or draft picks to the Canucks to move up 3 spots? If they have interest in Hughes, Boqvist or Bouchard, they will trade to get into the Top 5. That's where they'll need to be to snag one of them. I guess if they're jonesing for Dobson, they may make an offer to us, but who knows if that's who their targeting.  

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Why would EDM give up a significant player or draft picks to the Canucks to move up 3 spots? If they have interest in Hughes, Boqvist or Bouchard, they will trade to get into the Top 5. That's where they'll need to be to snag one of them. I guess if they're jonesing for Dobson, they may make an offer to us, but who knows if that's who their targeting.  

I suppose the only scenario would be if the Oilers really covet one of the top Ds, and he’s available at 7 but some of the others have gone early. In that situation, they might fear that all their favoured Dmen will be gone at their pick, and they might pay to move up. Still, I don’t see them giving up a major piece (or pieces like in the earlier posts) to move a few spots. Most likely though, there’s no movement in the top-10. Seems like teams talk about being open to trades in the lead up to the draft, but they rarely ever happen.

45 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I suppose the only scenario would be if the Oilers really covet one of the top Ds, and he’s available at 7 but some of the others have gone early. In that situation, they might fear that all their favoured Dmen will be gone at their pick, and they might pay to move up. Still, I don’t see them giving up a major piece (or pieces like in the earlier posts) to move a few spots. Most likely though, there’s no movement in the top-10. Seems like teams talk about being open to trades in the lead up to the draft, but they rarely ever happen.

That's because top ten picks are generally a high value, and quite often, over valued. 

1a. Evan Bouchard - Right hand PPQB we need. Was involved in a really high percentage of his team's PP goals. Carried his team as a captain after key players were traded away. Is a great passer with amazing vision and timing. Pinches really well, and gets point-blank shots regularly. Has a very accurate shot from the point, routinely shooting through screens. I remember when people were complaining that Juolevi's partner was outplaying him--well now we have a chance to have both of them. 

1b. Quinn Hughes - Lefthand D with the absolutely elite skating--perhaps the best to come out of the draft in years at the position. Rover in the offensive zone, thief in the defensive zone. Ideal partner for Edler, who is best with a partner who can skate the puck up the ice himself, something Hughes can do very well. Does not have as lethal a shot as Bouchard, but his skating is arguably more valuable. Dream scenario is getting Hughes this year and Hughes next year.

2a. Brady Tkachuk - I did not vote for him, cause I don't think he'll be there, but if he is it'd be hard to not take him. Can hurt you in so many ways, as a prototypical power forward who is also an excellent penalty killer. Could allow Petterson to stay at right wing where he's been so successful, and be a hulking center. Also plays left wing, which we need. Is the master of the dump and chase, making him an ideal complement of Horvat and Virtanen. Potential to fit so many of our lines is the main reason we'd take him.

2b. Oliver Wahlstrom - Dynamic offensive player, with an unreal shot, slick puck skills, and good passing. His shot is what separates him from others, including Tkachuk. Line of Dahlen Wahlstrom Pettersson would be incredibly hard to stop, as they all have lethal shots. Prime candidate to fall to us, even though he should go much higher--just goes to show how good this draft is. Fits Benning's mantra of "Swedish skill, North America heart" perfectly.

Do Not Want- Voted Kotkaniemi. Not that I don't think he'll be a good player, but I wanted to vote for someone I think will go top 10. I hope he goes before us so others fall to us, and categorize that as "Do Not Want." Boqvist's concussion issues concern me, but I'd be happy we got him because we took a gamble that could pay off big time. If we took Kotkaniemi I'd feel like it was a slight reach.

9 hours ago, NaveJoseph said:

1a. Evan Bouchard - Right hand PPQB we need. Was involved in a really high percentage of his team's PP goals. Carried his team as a captain after key players were traded away. Is a great passer with amazing vision and timing. Pinches really well, and gets point-blank shots regularly. Has a very accurate shot from the point, routinely shooting through screens. I remember when people were complaining that Juolevi's partner was outplaying him--well now we have a chance to have both of them. 

1b. Quinn Hughes - Lefthand D with the absolutely elite skating--perhaps the best to come out of the draft in years at the position. Rover in the offensive zone, thief in the defensive zone. Ideal partner for Edler, who is best with a partner who can skate the puck up the ice himself, something Hughes can do very well. Does not have as lethal a shot as Bouchard, but his skating is arguably more valuable. Dream scenario is getting Hughes this year and Hughes next year.

2a. Brady Tkachuk - I did not vote for him, cause I don't think he'll be there, but if he is it'd be hard to not take him. Can hurt you in so many ways, as a prototypical power forward who is also an excellent penalty killer. Could allow Petterson to stay at right wing where he's been so successful, and be a hulking center. Also plays left wing, which we need. Is the master of the dump and chase, making him an ideal complement of Horvat and Virtanen. Potential to fit so many of our lines is the main reason we'd take him.

2b. Oliver Wahlstrom - Dynamic offensive player, with an unreal shot, slick puck skills, and good passing. His shot is what separates him from others, including Tkachuk. Line of Dahlen Wahlstrom Pettersson would be incredibly hard to stop, as they all have lethal shots. Prime candidate to fall to us, even though he should go much higher--just goes to show how good this draft is. Fits Benning's mantra of "Swedish skill, North America heart" perfectly.

Do Not Want- Voted Kotkaniemi. Not that I don't think he'll be a good player, but I wanted to vote for someone I think will go top 10. I hope he goes before us so others fall to us, and categorize that as "Do Not Want." Boqvist's concussion issues concern me, but I'd be happy we got him because we took a gamble that could pay off big time. If we took Kotkaniemi I'd feel like it was a slight reach.

Some thought that Pettersson was a slight reach as well when we drafted him.

10 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I didn't. I was pretty stoked we had our pick of a center and took him. Actually had a feeling we'd draft him. But I know what you mean. Like I said, I'd just prefer another player, and do not support a trade down.

11 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Nope.  Not a chance he should have been higher.

Yeah easy for you to say now.  I was on the Elias Pettersson train seemingly ALONE at last years draft.  People were choked we took him over Glass.

Now we have posters like you saying he should have went higher.  Ok.

On 12/05/2018 at 12:49 PM, theo5789 said:

It was at the time, but also the biggest gamble. If the kid could gain the weight then canucks hijack the draft. Got to give kudos to gmjb for having the stones to do it especially since players like Suzuki and glass were still on the board.

2 hours ago, Isam said:

It was at the time, but also the biggest gamble. If the kid could gain the weight then canucks hijack the draft. Got to give kudos to gmjb for having the stones to do it especially since players like Suzuki and glass were still on the board.

Especially as at the time, I believe Glass was the one most were really high on, including myself, and quite probably you as well.  But that was more for a readily available player who looked like he was a playoff performer, as opposed to a player that looked awesome, but was questionable as to his ability to withstand the physical play of going against stronger and bigger players.  His attitude, ability, and way of pushing play in the right direction, all the while playing SECOND line minutes and leading the league in points in regular season and playoffs has gone a long way to proving Benning right.  I love the fact that Benning does gamble, and that he still isn't afraid to, even after choosing Virtanen instead of Nylander/Ehlers.  Of course, I was in favour of Dal Colle that draft, so I'll chalk up another one to Benning.

I am intrigued to see what we go with this year, as I've already made my selection of Hughes, Dobson, Wahlstrom, Tkachuk, in that order, as my 7th pick.  Hughes for his skating and ability, Dobson for much of the same, plus a defensive ability many of the other top d-men lack in this draft, Wahlstrom as my gamble for a talented winger/center that is suspect defensively, but man, that shot..., and Tkachuk...I like the physicality, and am willing to be sold on him just being one hell of a pain to play against.  Boquist is my buyer beware at the moment.  I think his value is over-inflated as to what he actually is.

Oh, and for that Virtanen draft, I was high on Ehlers, and downright against Virtanen.  Virt is growing on me, but his hockey IQ makes me want to bash my head against the wall sometimes.  But I will say this, I was also high on Dal Colle...so, I'll gladly let the scouts be the guys in charge. :)

As to who is going to be available at 7th, I'm having a really hard time getting a handle on it, because other than the top 3, the next 7 could be inter-changeable depending on the club who's picking. 

Montreal really needs a center....badly.  Preferably one that can step right in.  They have good wingers, but need a center...a decade ago. :)  And most of the defensemen are righties...Doesn't give you someone to step and play with Weber or Petry, both of whom play right.

Ottawa, how do we even start here with whom they are going to pick?  Are they trading Karlson?  Then a righty d-man with offensive upside is right up their alley?  Or is it just a big f'ing circus and he signs for 8 years.  Then they're looking for a center but would probably take Zadina if he's there so they can trade off Stone or Hoffman?

Arizona?  They going to trade OEL?  They're almost in the same boat as Ottawa.  They go forward unless they're going for a d-man.  If I were them, I'd go for the big trade and try to get Hughes as his replacement.

Detroit?  Where do we even address what they need most?  Everything?  I'd say they are pulling a d-man.  Boquist seems up their alley, but that depends on how much you want to gamble.

Then there is us?  We have a great ability of just doing whatever and taking the player none of us suspect.   I know who I want, I know who I'd be acceptable to having failing that.  I just don't know.

And is this the year we try to get that other top 15 pick?

2 hours ago, Isam said:

I know but I was just pointing out from the poster that I replied to that said picking Kotkaniemi would be a slight reach. Sometimes those picks do turn out, so shouldn't be ruled out for that reason.

I can't find 1 Norris Trophy winner under 6 feet.  Hughes and Boquist are 5'10 and 5'11 respectively. Only Karlsson is 6 feet. Everyone else is 6'1 and up.  3-4 inches height leads to quite a bit more reach, better visibility, leverage, etc..  It would be interesting to know how much this factors into Bennings decision making.  Dobson and Bouchard are both 6'2.

We'll see...

Archived